Topic

Episode 33 | Digital Route Planning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Episode 33 | Digital Route Planning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: Episode 33 | Digital Route Planning

Andrew and Ryan discuss some digital tools useful for planning your route effectively. Also: An interview with FATMAP founder Misha Gopaul.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Great episode. I thought it was really interesting (and admirable) that FATMAP was trying to configure the algorithms to try and disperse use and not “promote” trails/routes that are the most popular (and thus being the most impacted).

Stewart Logie
    BPL Member

@slogie

I was waiting to hear discussion about inaccuracies of elevation gain, but only heard about mileage inaccuracy. Any experiences on that? Elevation gain can be an important factor in estimating the effort needed for a section.

I’ve noted some drastically poor results (tested on graded public roads to reduce “noise” effects) from GaiaGPS on this and the company appears to acknowledge the weakness, but there isn’t much hope for improvement. I guess it’s more profitable to add “features” than improve quality because they already have your subscription.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools