Topic

Plumas NF joins stoves w/shutoff, no wood fires

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Plumas NF joins stoves w/shutoff, no wood fires

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Not sure if other Forests in California still require during fire season a stove that can be shut off, but the Plumas is requiring that I learned the last couple weeks.  So no alky stoves or wood stoves or campfires except in developed CG’s effective now.  A 6′ cleared circle is required for any stove.  Funny, my old MSR stoves take a bit to go out if things go south.

Duane

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Most northern California national forests (Eldorado, Stanislaus, Lake Tahoe Basin MU, and more) require stoves to have shutoff valves, so that would nix alcohols stoves.

Typical language in the Forest Service orders is no fires or stoves outside developed campgrounds, but with this as an exemption:

• Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable campfire ring/pit, stove, or lantern in an area at least five feet from any flammable materials provided that the portable campfire ring/pit, stove, or lantern only burns gas, kerosene, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel, with a shut-off valve.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems we’re on fire again.  I’ve pretty much put an open flame on the back burner.  Gonna stay with a canister stove and/or start learning stoveless.  I’ll only miss that hot coffee in the mornings.  It is what it is.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Since you can’t buy denatured alcohol in CA anymore I too have gone back to a canister.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Hi Ken.

I have a dog now, so using lighter stoves when I’m out.  Been dry camping, so have to pack water, he gets to carry his water and food.  I did get a new MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe this Spring, really like it.  I have a ton of stoves now, working on lamps and lanterns.

Duane

R
    Spectator

@autox

Well… pressurized liquid… technically includes a remote feed alcohol stove. Pressure is due to gravitational hydrostatic head. Not too hard to slap a shut off on a silicon fuel line.  You may be inching towards the weight of a BRS3000T, but you won’t get hit with the weight of a canister, and it’s easier to carry just the fuel you need.

Also, any sort of snuffer is effectively an oxygen shut off valve…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ken,

If you want, I can bring you a gallon the next time we get together.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I’ve just accepted that fire restrictions are the norm. I usually take an alcohol stove in deserts. Everywhere else I bring a liquid stove and sometimes a canister stove. This way I don’t have to navigate a bunch of websites to try and figure out regulations.

So it’s a few ounces more. A few extra ounces for a stove won’t ruin a trip, although it destroys a spreadsheet.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Although denatured alcohol is no longer available (in California) with the solvents in Home Depots, you might be able to get medical grade in 1-pint bottles at drugstores. Note that isopropyl or rubbing alcohol is not the same stuff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks Nick. Nevada isn’t far for me either.   I use it for shellac as well.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I have 3 quarts of the “green” stuff for my pressure stoves that use denatured alcohol and bought the last gallon of regular alcohol in town last Spring for preheating my kerosene stoves.  Reno is 90 minutes away, us Coleman Collectors are meeting up here in July, so asked a Reno friend to bring me some camp fuel and a gallon of denatured alcohol.  I lost any interest in wood stoves a few years ago since by the time you can use those up here, it’s almost fire season again, so a short window to use them.

I have over a dozen 100+ year old stoves now.

Duane

Duane

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools