Topic

Platypus warranty much better than Evernew

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Platypus warranty much better than Evernew

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I own a bunch of platypus water carriers and one Evernew 1.5 L.  I’ve had leaks with two of them, a 2L Platypus and the 1.5L Evernew.  The Platpus developed a pinhole leak when it got pushed against a sharp rock, the Evernew just failed spontaneously (plastic film delaminated from the thick plastic filler/cap part).

What a difference in customer support!

Platypus just sent me out a new 2L water carrier, a better one than I had (came with tube and bite valve), no questions asked.

Evernew wanted pictures and a receipt, as they only cover defects within one year of purchase.  I didn’t have the receipt any more, and I believe I had it a few years, but it got light use.  No luck on a replacement.

So it’s only Platypus for me from now on, and I urge you all to do the same.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I have had similar excellent customer service from Platypus.  Years ago I lost a little rubber O-ring that sealed the connection between the tube and the reservoir.  When I contacted them to get a replacement O-ring, they sent me a complete brand new in the package reservoir/tube outfit.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

It’s nice of them, but why did you think Platypus should replace something that you damaged against a sharp rock?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

but the Evernews thread into Sawyer filters better.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Part of the Cascade Designs family. Huge compared to Evernew.

I certainly would never call to replace something I damaged. Defects, yes.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

I have three of the 1.5l evernew water carriers that I have used heavily for 4+ years. Two of them have developed leaks because I wore them out. So I bought new ones. 😀

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

“It’s nice of them, but why did you think Platypus should replace something that you damaged against a sharp rock?”

Actually the 2L Platypus was full and  standing up on the ground, and then it fell over.  I assumed it hit something sharp although I didn’t see anything, and the force wasn’t all that much, it just sort of rolled over.  I called Platypus to see what I could do and they immediately volunteered to send a new one.  I didn’t argue.

I’ve purchased many Platypus water carriers since then, in many different sizes.  No more Evernew, though.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Don’t Evernew weigh a little less than Platypus?

Then Evernew are more likely to get damaged?  The standard trade-off between weight and durability.

I’ve had several Platypus over the years.  After about 5 years they get yellow and stiff so I figure they’re more likely to break so I replace.  I think they get weaker and weaker over time, and I can keep using but it get’s more likely to have a failure.

I was backpacking with some teenagers.  They used a MSR pump filter to fill a Platypus.  They pumped it so full that the Platypus split open.  With some people (especially teenagers?) it’s more important to have durable.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, I have two Platy folding bottles to carry for “dry days” and “dry camps” here in Nevada.

I WISH Platypus would make a folding bottle with a W- I- D- E mouth so I could use my Steripen in it.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Nalgene does, I got them to use with a Steripen.  The have worked pretty well so far (I forgot the wide mouth bottles were Nalgene and not Platypus)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Evernew wanted pictures and a receipt
    That doesn’t sound unreasonable. It seems like Platypus is being very generous here by warrantying anything without pictures, receipts or evidence of a defect, and for any amount of time. Indeed Platypus’s warranty appears better in the sense that they will warranty more, but Evernew’s seems fair.

If I was selling soft sided water containers, I wouldn’t want to warranty them against damage because it’s common. I’ve even popped pop bottles on sharp rocks (two last year). When I buy a soft sided container I just see that as part of the trade-off. On the PCT, I ripped a Platypus open when it brushed against a cactus early in a 30 mile waterless stretch in the desert. Losing 2 of my 4 liters of water was a bummer, but I didn’t see it as their fault.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

“I believe I had it a few years”

I have a lot of equipment I’ve believed I’ve had a few years.  And most of the time when I look up the receipt it’s been more like 10 to 15 years!  :)

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

I think there’s a big difference between a damaged vs a defective product.

My Platypus was damaged, I was lucky and grateful to receive a replacement.

The Evernew was defective:  either the glue failed or it was applied improperly, in either case a manufacturing defect.  Most of the plastic laminate is still well sealed to the thick plastic part, but some of it peeled away, causing a leak…this just happened, there was no damage to the water carrier.

So I’d expect Platypus to decline sending a replacement, and Evernew to send one.  The reverse happened.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools