Topic

Pink snow-safe to boil for food/drink?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Pink snow-safe to boil for food/drink?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

If we melt pink snow, and bring it to a boil (at ~ 6000′ elevation) is it then safe to use to prepare food and drink?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Never tried it. Always scraped it away. Much safer.

Boiling might work, maybe. Can you scrape the scum off the top?

Cheeers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

The snow is oink due to an alga (my wife’s a Marine Biologist that specalizes in alga).

For obvious reasons, pink snow is sometimes called “watermelon snow”. Oddly enough, it’s even said to smell a bit like watermelon. So why shouldn’t you find out if it tastes that way too? According to botanist Joyce Gellhorn’s 2002 book Song of the Alpine, there’s a very good reason: in addition to being a tantalizingly refreshing-looking on a hot day after a long hike where a snow cone would be just the ticket, it’s also a laxative.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Laxative…nope, don’t need that!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The yellow snow is what you have to watch out for.

It’s weight prohibitive, but a small hand held geiger counter might be nice when evaluating questionable snow. Not as concerning as back in the good old days however, back when above ground nuclear testing was the norm.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Can I tell you it’s bad or safe? No. But why would you do it? Unless it was your only choice for water.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

We know pink snow is a kind of green algae.  We know some green algaes, under some conditions, are known to release toxins.  We know toxins are not neutralized by boiling like bacteria and parasites are.  And we know pink snow has been reported to cause digestive issues, regardless of its toxin status.

All that doesn’t tell me whether boiling it helps, but I for one will stay away from it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools