Topic

Photos of All Your Gear Laid Out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Photos of All Your Gear Laid Out

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

@Ryan K thanks! Yes, they are the 750mL Hydrapak Stash bottles. I actually like them a lot when using a steripen. I wish I could find a cap for them that adapts to the sawyer mini.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

I’ve always liked these photos, so here’s mine for summer in Colorado…

Louis Giusto
    BPL Member

@lgiusto

Locale: South East

Here is my setup for short summer trips in the south east.

Clothing worn is not shown.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Unless it’s a thread about ” all your gear in a pile” I am not going to post mine.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

100% agree^

I’ll post a spreadsheet but laying everything out and then climbing up a ladder so I can get a nice shot seems like waaaaaay too much effort. They are fun to look at though!

Kiel Senninger
    BPL Member

@kiel-s

Locale: San Diego

I’ll play. Trip this weekend.

Missing my water bladder. :\

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my SUL kit- highlights: Zpacks cuben tarp, MLD Core pack, HG 40 degree quilt, neoair short

advantage of a 5# base weight :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“advantage of a 5# base weight :)”

I don’t know Mike….looking at that bottom picture my guess is it would look the same if you were holding a 30 lb pack there.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ LOL  :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I haven’t taken pictures of my gear in several years, don’t see the point. However, it hasn’t changed much over the past 5 years, other than different packs used depending on length of trip, how much food and water is needed to be carried.

For Mags….

8 foot long box tent trailer April 2004, San Jacinto Mountains.

14 foot long box tent trailer, June 2006, view of San Jacinto Mountains from Thomas Mountain.

26′ travel trailer. Mojave Desert, May 2014.

4th of July dinner with my lovely wife. Remote camping site in the Sierra Nevada.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Nick,

I am just glad my wife is not on these forums. Though she is dropping hints about a class B setup at some point. :O

She does not complain about the cuisine in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, however. (New stove..courtesy of Sports Authority going under. Even my wife loves the stove.. One button and it simmers like a champ)

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

Here’s what I took on my last 4-day trip in the Whites.  Poles and shoes are missing.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

@Bri –

What are the purple and charcoal OR things below what looks like a big fuchsia dry bag on the left?  and for that matter, what are the purple and charcoal things just below them, in between toe socks and gloves?

I agree, nice presentation! :)

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

@dkramalc the top ones are the OR Helium II jacket and pants. The smaller bottom ones are the Montbell Tachyon wind jacket and wind pants! I ended up only wearing the rain pants to bed for warmth that trip, but everything else that trip got a lot of use, especially the Tenkara Rod! :)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Okay, I was unpacking for the evening yesterday and realized I was that close to qualifying for the spirit of  this thread. So I assembled the bits before making camp and here is my resulting photo.

Pack weight with 1L water and food and 3oz alcohol was 10#9oz, so base was a little under 8#, full comfort (even had my ‘heavy’ GSI coffee mug) without even trying. Could’ve left out the green fleece jacket (far left, the only thing I didn’t use) but it made a damn fine cozy for rehydrating my dinner. And I was crazy happy I made the decision to bring the Duplex because although the skeeters were no problem at all during the day, in the evening they were out in droves… collected a few bites before I retired to the tent for the evening.

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

This picture doesn’t have my worn clothes in it (or trekking poles, d’oh), but I finally got around to taking one. This is what I’d more or less bring during Oklahoma summers when I want to be incredibly lazy. No cook. Bivy. Ursack minor. Foam pad. Don’t need any other clothes, because, well, once summer hits the temperature won’t go down at night. I could probably go without the rain jacket.

I’m a pretty lazy backpacker.

I do have a Kumo that I’d probably use, but I traded for the Prodigy in the picture, and it’s probably a squeeze to get it into the Kumo with anything else. Kumo’s probably going to gear swap soon and I’ll have to reconsider my pack options. I think I’ll like the quilt more than I like the pack.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Jonathon Self, nice external pack!! We should start a club.

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

Bri, thanks! I’m a fan of the external frame packs. You can be far less thoughtful when packing them; you can pretty much just throw everything inside. But, I’m pretty sure mine’s way heavier than yours, though. :) I don’t have the weight in front of me, but I think it’s close to 5 lbs! However, it’s zipperless, it’s only 36 liters (most adult-sized external frame packs are huge), and it has a lifetime warranty. It’s an Alite Hatcher; it’s actually on sale for $100 right now for the holiday weekend.

I’m probably going to take the funds from the Kumo, if I can sell it, and put it towards a non-cuben Ti-Arc. I dislike that the Ti-Arc opens from its back and uses zippers, but it has a lifetime warranty, so I guess if a zipper screws up on me, I have something to fall back on.

With a bivy I could probably get my summer weight down to the 8lb range with a Ti-Arc. Considering that I imagine it can comfortable carry 25-30, that’d give me a lot of weight to play around with. I could probably disappear into the woods for a week easily. I’m hoping to get to the JMT next summer, and a 10-12lb base weight with a bear can sounds pretty amazing.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Jonathon Self, there’s a non-CF ti-Arc $100 off on eBay right now. Looks brand new!

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Also…my Borah Gear Cuben bivy is 4 oz. exactly. :) just another suggestion.  We can start a bivy/external frame pack club!

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

John is super helpful and open to modifications. Both of my Borah Gear bivies are modified. I had the OR Helium bivy but it got condensation at the zipper, the hoop didn’t stay up on its own so I ended up bringing along guy line anyway, the inside material felt like my rain gear (very clammy), and it was heavy. So I returned that and looked into Borah Gear. John made me a Snowyside with purple eVent and hot pink silpoly, and cut it to my height and width. Both are very breathable; I’ve had zero condensation issues so far (even while sleeping right next to rivers, lakes, beaches and in high humidity, but I’ve only tested it down to high 30s° and up to 70s°). I stake down that bivy and it stays in place just fine with shepherd’s hooks. the only thing I’d change about it is the Velcro on the netting piece: right now, the rougher side of the Velcro is on the netting and the softer side of the Velcro is on the bivy, so I constantly have to untangle the netting, as it sticks to its own Velcro. I would reverse the sides of the Velcro If I were you (softer side on the netting, rougher side on bivy). I also needed to seam seal mine. No big deal though.

My Cuben bivy is also custom sized smaller, and I got a purple Argon top, no stake loops, and chest zipper only. This is my summer and super minimal/SUL shelter when weather is good. It is water resistant to a point (splash protected?), but I’ll always bring along a tarp if there’s even a chance of rain. Because the head portion of that bivy is all netting, it breathes super well and I don’t get condensation issues. Even in 50s° along a lake with a 0° Cuben quilt in which I ended up sweating a lot and an XTherm pad, I didn’t get any condensation at the foot box. I wouldn’t change anything about it. If you want to best of both worlds, get a Snowyside with a Cuben bottom, although you’d only be saving a few ounces for more money.

If I ever get another bivy from John it’ll be either be an all eVent Snowyside with the Velcro issue fixed. That eVent material is so cool. Water just beads off off, never soaks through, is soft, and breathes really well. But both of my bivies serve the purposes I need them for, so I’m satisfied right now. He is making me some purple eVent rain mitts right now though that I’m super excited about!

Anyway, that’s my Borah Gear pitch. :) I’ll start working on our club name.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Not quite as colorful and my last post, but here’s my official gear picture for my High Sierra Trail to Whitney trip in 2 days!! Base weight is 10.1 lbs. with the bear canister, total is 24.9 lbs. with all consumables. My “luxury” items are my mini Tenkara rod, down pants, GoPro, a spare battery, and a HMG Stuff Pack for holding my quilt, and for summiting Muir, Whitney, and Russell. I can’t decide if the down pants will be worth the 7 oz. in weight, since there seems to be a heat wave hitting SoCal right now. Not sure how the Sierras will respond, though. I guess we’ll see!! 

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

hey guys,,, Ryan Jordan uses an extra long handle tooth brush,,, pass it on

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“Hey guys – Ryan Jordan doesn’t cut the handle off his toothbrush. Pass it on!”

Matthew’s comment. The second post in this thread @mrjones

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

it’s scandalous!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools