Topic

Philmont Pot Support Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Philmont Pot Support Idea

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I will give a theoretical caution about the two stove under one pot idea. Normally, the burner offers some blocking against radiation from the flames reaching the canister – in some cases more effectively then others.

But with two stoves you have the additional cross-radiation heating up each stove. This could be dangerous. I would NOT do it myself; rather I would use two pots, separated by enough space.

My 2c.
    Cheers

Kevin Sweere
    BPL Member

@sweerek

Out backpacking kitchen layout looks like:

Shared the original file at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gLJpkecCscAUdYw49Duqz_wuLIKJ9fAX

Everything moves from left to right.  No humans enter the barrier, cooks just reach inward.  Thoughts on how to tweak this appreciated.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

Philmont’s method (and ours) is a little simpler than that.

Cook sits on ground (on trail seat) next to Camp Fire Ring, spreads a Bear Bag next to him to provide a clean work area for food prep, sets-up stove in front of him within easy reach but not next to Bear Bag (it is flammable). On the Bear Bag he places all the meal packets & condiments, bowls & spoons and full water bottles for boiling (provided by Fire & Water guy).  Everything for this meal is within his reach so he does not have to move around and risk turning something over or kicking dirt into kitchen. KISS

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools