Topic

Permethrin on packs/shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Permethrin on packs/shelters

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Does permethrin bond to cuben? VX21 and such?

Or when you treat a cuben shelter, do you just treat the netting? And when you treat a pack, do you just treat the shoulder straps/hip belt?

Danke for any info.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Insect Shield says it doesn’t work on water resistant material, so I would assume not.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks Brad.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The Insect Shield process has more limits than DIY permethrin sprays like Sawyer’s:

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-insect-repellent-treatment/

For use on clothing, tents, sleeping bags, and other outdoor gear.

It’s specially formulated not to stain or damage your clothing, other fabrics, gear, and equipment β€” including plastics or finished surfaces.

Sawyer Permethrin is ideal for treating backpacks, tents, camp furniture, hammocks, mosquito netting, luggage, and even bed sheets.

Sawyer permethrin spray should work fine on VX21 and DCF/cuben. I’d spray the entire shelter and backpack if you want complete protection, through permethrin on your shoes, socks, and other clothing is far more important.

You could ask Sawyer, too:

https://sawyer.com/faqs/ (scroll to bottom)

— Rex

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

IveI been spraying my tent or tarp and inner and backpack and of course my clothes for five years and have found zero ticks on me while hiking the AT. Working in my yard is a different story as I got a nasty infection from a bite on my knee and had to be treated with antibiotics.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Permethrin bonds to fibers. Has to be able to soak in.

And you know that promotional stuff from Sawyer applies to regular backpacking fabrics. No way they were thinking of cuben.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Many silicone coated products are slightly water absorbent. As such, they will absorb enough permethrin to be effective. I spray my tents and tarps all the time. I sometimes have a group of dead mosquitoes/flies in the peak in the morning. Yes, it does work, at least to some degree. (silnylon)

Some items absorb very little. PET for example. Often, fleece is made from recycled PET bottles and it’s overall effectiveness with permethrin is debatable. After 5-6 washings, there is essentially none. Yet, my nylon pants are good for 50-100 washings. Whatever you consider effective… I cannot say I have tested all the newer fabrics, coatings, etc.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

If I wanted to spray my bivy (MLD Superlight), would it work to spray the upper fabric (with DWR coating) more than to spray the silnylon bottom? I know it will keep ticks off me while I sleep if I zip myself in, but would rather just keep it open unless I’m actively bothered by mosquitoes.

I’ve never used Permethrin before, but the recent news and a few threads here got me to buy a bottle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools