Topic

PCT Washington Section at 10 miles/day – resupply problems?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion PCT Washington Section at 10 miles/day – resupply problems?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I’m wondering if around 10 miles/day northbound on the PCT in Washington will end up causing resupply problems. I see you can only mail resupply boxes to Naches, Snoqualmie Pass, Skykomish, and Stehekin.

Now we don’t want to carry two weeks of food at the start and after every resupply!

I’m wondering if there are more opportunities to purchase food along the trail than at these four places, particularly in the more northern sections.  If so, are they close to the trail, or a long hitch-hike away?

Will traveling 10 miles per day necessitate carrying a dozen or more days of food at each resupply?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I believe that the longest WA PCT section without easy resupply is Section K: Steven’s Pass to Stehekin, through the Glacier Peak wilderness. There are intermediate trailheads around the Glacier Peak area, but it would be very time consuming to use them for resupply unless somebody met you at the trailhead with your food. The trailhead that first comes to mind is Suiattle Creek trail # 784 – it’s only 7 miles West from the PCT, however, that trailhead is a long way from any town.

Another possibility would be having someone meet you at Walupt Lake halfway through Section H (only 3 or 4 miles off the PCT, with campground). And one of the easiest would be Chinook Pass, about half way along Section I (paved road within an hour or so of towns). And there’s also Rainy Pass, only 18 miles N or the Stehekin High Bridge (another paved road, but a long drive from towns).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Elliot: have you considered planning a series of hikes in Washington that aren’t necessarily entirely tied to the pct? For example, Glacier Peak wilderness is flat out stunning. You could spend two weeks there, or perhaps a week, and then a week ambling north towards Stehekin. Etc. Resupply might be easier this way. Just a thought. The pct is great too!

edit: for example, you could do a loop out of Holden on Lake Chelan, return there, catch the boat to Stehekin, resupply, continue on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools