Topic

PCT Section J (Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass) campsite Beta

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning PCT Section J (Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass) campsite Beta

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

I am looking for Beta on camping spots along this route. My brother and I will be hiking this section in August and I am worried about finding enough space for tents at potential camping locations.  Our choice of tents is either a 9.5 ft. x 9.5 ft. pyramid (Golite Shangri La 5) or our solo tents – a SMD Wild Oasis for me and a MLD Duomid Xl for my brother. We tried fitting both of us in the Duomid XL before but that is a non starter – somebody’s sleeping bag always gets wet from condensation.

Do you think we will be able to find spots for the big pyramid or should we bring solo tents?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

There are larger campsite options in at least several camping areas that I’ve seen, including around Glacier Lake, Deception Pass area, Deep Lake, Escondido Ridge (E edge and W edge), Spectacle lake and Ridge Lake. These areas should give you large site options, provided they are not packed with campers (busy weekends, late in the day).

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Thanks Lester that’s good to know. We will be starting on a Monday so probably less crowded at the start, but we will be approaching Snoqualmie Pass on the weekend – sounds like there could be more competition for space. I think we will bring the Shangri La 5 and just plan to start and finish early as we get near Snoqualmie Pass.

How are the bugs during the third week in August? Any need for a tent inner or bug net?

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Solo tents always provide more opportunities.  If you carry them, there are countless opportunities to camp.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Bugs – third week of August you’ll have some mild mosquitoes, but they start tapering off by then. In August I’m always more concerned about wasps than mosquitoes – I seem to get stung pretty much every August. Even in peak bug season (mid to late July) I usually just use a STS Nano mosquito net under a shaped tarp.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Thanks – a couple of STS Nanos are what we often bring just in case, but we tend to hike in late April or September most years so we never actually use them. Sounds like we should throw them in just in case.  The inner on the big pyramid is just too heavy for backpacking trips.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Campsites on that section where plenty large.

A word of caution on Escondido ridge though: The posted mileage is inaccurate on green trails. It takes much longer to get over than what is listed and it is a dry ridge. I left deep lake around 7 am and got over the ridge by 6. Plan a full day.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Thank for that @cascadicus we will plan accordingly. Another question occurred to me – looking at the map, when starting at Stevens Pass it looks like you can start via a trail that goes up the ski slope and meets the PCT, or start where the PCT crosses the highway.  I understand that you need to fill out a permit sheet at the trailhead – does anyone know where the kiosk is for that at Steven’s Pass?

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I’d just take the parking lot TH where it crosses the highway. The self issue permits are right there.

Great section, have fun.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools