Topic

PCT section hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning PCT section hike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

I have decided to start section-hiking the PCT in 500mile (1 month) sections. I had thought I was going to have to put off major backpacking trips for a few years seeing as I only get just over two weeks vacation a year (and I do like to spend that time with my SO). Then yesterday I had a quick chat with the regional supervisor when he dropped by my work location, in which I asked him if it would be feasible for me to start taking a one month unpaid leave on a yearly basis. Somewhat to my shock, he said it would be no problem as long as I gave him several months warning so he could find coverage for me. So it’s game on! I’ll start this next year.

So my question for you lovely folks regards timing of each section. Since I am not thru-hiking, I am not locked into the start in April, finish in September type of timeline. So it might be nice to hit each section at a time of my own choosing. I will probably be doing the JMT separately at some point, hopefully with my SO, so snow conditions there don’t necessarily need to be taken into account. Also, it would actually be preferable to me if I was not with the main body of hikers. So bearing all that in mind, what would be the ideal time to hike the following sections:

Southern CA

Northern CA (minus high Sierra)

Oregon

Washington

I know these are not exact 500 mile chunks, but gives the general gist for regions I’d be hiking for each section.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The Washington high country is absolutely beautiful in late August and September. Most of the bugs are gone, the weather can be fairly warm and dry (at least compared to October), and the snow pack is gone. The colors up high will be changing, and the huckleberries will be out.

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

I’m doing something similar over the next three years or so.

This summer, I am doing SOBO through Oregon into NoCal, starting in Cascade Locks, near where I live. I’ve section hiked parts of the trail in northern and central Oregon, southern Washington for years, but this will be my first thru trip across my home state :)

Oregon is best in July and August, but September can be really nice too. June is often quite rainy, though last year in June we had record sun and high temps, so go figure.

This winter we had a record wet December (El Niño), but it looks like the snowpack is starting to lag a little and it may not keep up that pace. If we have a relatively dry Spring, the bugs will be out early with the snow melt, then fade. Bugs are the only real issue in Oregon from the Sky Lakes wilderness northwards. (Well, the only issue except wildfires. Hopefully we will not have a repeat of last fire season.)

A good one month trip could be Ashland to Cascade Locks. And PCT Days this year in Cascade Locks is August 19-21. That would make a memorable section hike ending or conclusion. http://www.pcta.org/about-us/events/pct-days/

JC Root
    BPL Member

@evilroot

Locale: Central Oregon

Randy we should be crossing paths this summer on the PCT. Me and my boys will be North bound out of Ashland 1st week of Aug on our way to Cascade locks hope to make PCT days in 20 days. Just watch for 2 fit Boy Scouts and an old guy trying to keep up!

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

JC

I look forward to crossing paths on the trail then. I am heading out of Cascade Locks right after July 4th weekend. I will keep my eye out for you. Tell your two scouts to watch out for the old geezer with the white beard and the plaid hiking kilt.

I’ve long wanted to hike the whole length of my home state of Oregon. Finally, getting around to it. Hope the wildfires settle down this year and are nothing like last year.

Randy

Sara L
    Spectator

@sara-caroline

Hi Caledonia,

How did your hike in 2016 go?  Which section and month did you end up hiking?  I am planning a similar trip this summer, I have a month off (most likely July) and I think I want to hike Washington as I can end in Manning Park which is near where I live, but learning that July might not be the best month for that section.  Got any tips?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

PCT currently closed going South from Cascade Locks, no date for opening given

You could drive to Lolo Pass and go South from there

Or take Sandy Area Metro to Zigzag, then hike up Zigzag trail to PCT

July 4 usually still a lot of snow as you go by Mt Hood

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

The Washington section will be beautify, but I would be careful in September. Most of the time, it will be beautiful, pleasant, and sunny. However, it can sometimes be cold and rainy for days. It can be miserable. August however, is sunny and warm… sometimes too warm… almost every day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools