Topic

PCT K section Steven's pass to High bridge / Stehekin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT K section Steven's pass to High bridge / Stehekin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Hiked from Sept 10th – 19th. 108 miles. 30,000 elevation gain.

This was a fantastic trek through the heart of the North Cascades.

Pack weight with all food and fuel was 26.5 lbs for 8.5 days. Big three: SMD Lunar Solo, Marmot helium and Neo air 3/4. Halfmile maps double printed in color to complement Guthooks PCT hiker app.

Hopped off the Greyhound bus at Steven’s pass around noon and made my way to the lodge for lunch. Lots of thru hikers gathered around enjoying trail magic in the parking lot. Almost a festive atmosphere with many happy reunions due to hikers rerouting from the various forest fires this season.

The first few days meandered through increasing elevation gain to Janus Lake. Trail is well maintained and well traveled. Thru hikers flying past me as I rebuild my trail legs.

Late season water issues on the ridges midway through the higher elevations, but water sources can still be found every five miles or so in the dry stretches. The views from the 6000 ft ridges are jaw dropping and one gets to follow them for miles at a nice and level grade. Smoke from the fires was nonexistent for the first 50 miles and only slightly noticeable for the last 30 or so miles.

Finally had some rain the last night.

Lots of PCTers on the trail hurrying to the border.

Hiked out of High Bridge and caught the Red Bus (now $8). Decided to stay at the Stehekin Valley ranch which is a good deal for a tent cabin / bed and three fantastic meals included ($110 tax included). They will let you do a load of laundry. No dryer, so clothes line only. Weak Wifi for email check etc. Transportation to Stehekin landing and the TH provided. Highly recommended.

Next morning on the Tue the 20th I boarded the Lady of the Lake for the 5 hour trip to Chelan. Deep Water Inn is clean and comfortable. Take the #20 bus to Wenatchee (or switch to the 21 in Wenatchee for a lunch stopover in Leavenworth) and then the Greyhound / Trailways/ Amtrack bus (they seem to be one and the same) to Seattle.

If anyone really wants to see some pics I can add some later.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Would love to see your pics. Was planning that same hike for this summer but will have to wait till next year. Your public transport details are particularly helpful as it would save my wife lots of driving to drop off and pick me up.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I’ll post some later.

To clarify, catch the Seattle Trailways / Greyhound / Amtrak bus either in Wenatchee or later at that Icicle gas station in Leavenworth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools