Topic

Patagonia Nano-Air Light vs Arcteryx Proton FL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Nano-Air Light vs Arcteryx Proton FL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Hi,

Looking for insight into how the new proton FL compares to nano air light before purchasing.

Hanz

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Link in 3, 2,….

somewhere on bpl there is a review/article that is imformative

—-‘imformative’ lol

Norman N
    Spectator

@traillotus

I have the Proton AR. The FL is pretty much the same aside from thinner insulation.  Compared to the Nano Air Light, I feel the Proton has a more durable face fabric that would better hold up against snags and abrasion.  I bought the Proton over the Atom for that specific reason.  I have washed it about 6 times and there is no pilling whatsoever.

If you get the Proton, I suggest you try it on first in a store if possible. If you are between sizes, go for the larger one. I’m typically on the upper end of a size small in everything.  I have the Arc’teryx Beta LT and and Gamma LT (jacket) in small, but I got the Proton AR in medium.  I am still able to layer the size small Beta LT shell over the size medium Proton AR comfortably. I found the small to to be a too snug around the lats.  My chest measures 38 1/2 inches. (38 is the upper limit of small for most manufacturers).

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

Protons have different face fabric weights…AR/LT – Fortius 40; FL – Fortius 20. I haven’t seen the new F20 on anything, but the F40 is more durable and less breathable then the Nano-Air Light. The insulation for the Proton FL is new and weight is not listed for comparison to any of those pieces.

Also, these jackets are very different. Nano is a fully insulated, deep-zip pullover with a single chest pocket; FL is full zip, four pockets, and no insulation in hood or under arms. What role are you trying to fill?

If someone knows the CFM or the insulation weight of the FL that would be helpful.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Jared-

i agree, different animals in design but both likely ideal options in cold active pursuit.  I was indeed looking for cfms, durability, moisture weight release over time, and insulation compression longevity comparisons, etc. I don’t think Mr Neasley has had the proton FL in his workshop yet

the inner fabric of the proton is more Interesting to me then the outer (which I too suspect the outer Fort 40d face is somewhat less breathable then nano air light but I didn’t know if the 20d would be as well). It’s a very soft mesh, unlike any other arcteryx active wear piece, which I suspect helps transport moister more quickly. I wonder if together these materials act in a similar way to alpha direct which often use a mesh inner if not directly allowing alpha fibers to contact the baselayer.

Also looking for real world cold pursuit comparison to the nano air light of course

Your thoughts are welcome,

hanz

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

ideal is highly dependent on what you need and what you like. and the feature sets are so different, both are not ideal for me at least.

the Nano is much more specialized, and i rarely use mine. insulated hood is not great under a helmet, partial zip limits versatility, and a single pocket isn’t enough for an outer layer (for me). i only use my for short, intense activity in cold weather (running/snowshoeing <35F) or bouldering <50…and even then i usually prefer a power stretch fleece (+ windshirt if needed).

speculating on the FL: it is 11 g heavier, 3 extra pockets, full zip, no insulation in hood or under arms, mesh liner…i’m guessing a little less insulation/more breathability…overall not as warm (i consider that a plus) and much, much more versatile. but also FL is $260 and rarely on sale v. Nano is $250 and occasionally on sale (now, for instance) for $150.

the mesh liner is interesting, but not necessarily better. durability is my first concern–for otherwise solid jackets (never had an issue with either company, spec. the Nano/Proton lines), mesh liners are prone to snag, wear faster, get dirty/dusty, and allow crap to get through (debris, salt/oil from your body, etc…). again depends on how you are using it, but i stopped using them a while ago for jackets (my one alpha direct jacket is limited to urban/relaxed use).

for moving air more quickly, a mesh liner is better than nylon, but how fast do you want to move it? and moisture management…never found mesh liner to be a difference maker, or enough to outweigh the other issues i listed.

i would not buy the Nano again, but the FL does look interesting. you could always go into REI, order both (if they don’t have them in stock), and check them out in store. they don’t charge if you don’t take them home.

also, it would help to know what you are doing and how cold. running, cycling, hiking, climbing? 50s, 40s, 30s…? and what are you replacing?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Oh i missed the fl part. Sorry

Hanz B
    BPL Member

– thanks for the analysis and your experience with the nano air light.

– so my go to cold weather (32f to 10f) active pursuit set up is one I’m happy with in the back country but is more complex then need be. I use a high cfm  Montbell windshirt over a next to skin thermal weight capeline hoody (+\- a thermowrap vest). I find that the thermal weight cap material is the most advanced water mover I’ve tried. For me it’s years ahead of the competition. In fact I find it to be more ideal then lighter (marketed) cap weights at warmer temps up to 60s as well. Dries faster then I hair dryer too. I believe it’s marketed wrong. anyway ….

there are times when I think the wind jacket is just gonna stay on the whole time or I’m just out on a few hour snow shoe etc and I don’t really like the wind jacket in that senario cause I still Bring a shell for emergency. There are also other times where wearing your shell is needed most of the day and then the wind jacket is redundant. I’d rather have one piece for these situations where weight and options aren’t prime so go under a wind shell (making my baselayer the +\- option). I have an atom LT (too hot). Tried an atom SL (not ideal for anything but summer night hiking?) and personally I feel that 100 gram at fleece is rarely the best at anything but ok in most situations. I worry about longevity of nano light.

So then I watched watched Ryan Jordan’s winter backing video post in feb and thought maybe I warmer but also more breathable synthetic low ball midlayer is worth a second look.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

arcteryx is more durable in general, but i wouldn’t worry about the nano-air light lasting a long time. it has gone through two winters of bouldering (maybe 40+ sessions) and lots of washes without issue. and i wear the nano-air hoody (non light, full zip version) as my go to jacket 5 months of the year, nearing 3 years and looks great.

i like the look of the FL, the functionality, the fit of arcteryx, and the zippers (vislon so much better than coil), but hard to say without knowing much about the insulation. from my memory of Nisley’s clo ratings: patagonia fullrange is .54, nano air light uses 40g (nano air uses 60g). arcteryx coreloft continuous is around .8ish, proton LT uses 60g. FL is almost certainly less g/m2 than the LT, but not sure what the clo is for the new octaloft. If it really is ~1/2–2/3 effective warmth of the LT, with an uninsulated hood, that might be a winner. i would certainly consider it as a replacement for my nano-air light.

like i mentioned before, you could always get both from REI and try them in the store, or take them home and return whichever later (great return policy for members at least).

unrelated question: you mentioned bringing a shell for an emergency. do you mean weather, or having to stop for injury or some other reason? in those temps, i usually wear a base and fleece/insulated mid layer, bring a single shell for cold, wind, precip, whatever, and my emergency/break layer is a down jacket over everything else. almost never use it, glad when i have it, and has allowed me to simplify my other layers.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

I took a hard look at them both at rei a few days ago and couldn’t make up my mind, lol. Plus, theres very limited reviews of proton FL online.

– with regard to your questions, yea of course, the shell is always there , though a puffy is mostly there in back country for sure, I mean if I’m around the house snow shoeing or out with the dog and within a couple miles I don’t always bring a puffy. Maybe I’m looking for a midlayer that breaths better so I don’t feel like I’m always brining a wind jacket + hard shell (again, not a backpacking question, more a actively messing around in cold temps question). Though after watching Ryan Jordan’s video I’m starting to think about using a less warm version of atom LT for backpacking, obviously lower met then bouldering…

maybe what I don’t yet trust is said “Octoloft” and wonder if I’m dealing with an alpha competitor – given the inner mesh like lining I suspect so – or another variant of continuous synthetic that’s got a new name bc it’s stretchier? Lower bulk? More resilient? Idk.

– Arc’teryx zippers are nice, agreed. Never have issues with them in the cold unlike some others.

MM
    BPL Member

@chairmanmallard

Locale: SF Bay Area

Have you looked at the Atom SL?

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Yea I’ve tried and returned. It’s really not ideal for these temps in my hands. Much better for cool hikes in California. Actually if you like that piece the Addidais agave alpha direct got it right and is lighter. I think the proton FL would be more breathable compared to the Atom SL.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

I went ahead and order the Proton FL

and in a new post I did a preliminary review with picture so you can see the insulation up close. Link below

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/arcteryx-proton-fl-active-insulation-user-review-on-going-updates/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools