Topic

Patagonia Macro Puff Hoody Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia Macro Puff Hoody Review

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Max Neale
    BPL Member

@maximumdragonfly

Locale: Anchorage, AK

Companion forum thread to: Patagonia Macro Puff Hoody Review

Max Neale’s Patagonia Macro Puff Hoody Review features a comprehensive performance evaluation of its warmth, insulation, cut, and hood.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Did not find Max Neale’s Patagonia Macro Puff Hoody Review so I posted this below:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-macro-puff-hoody/80110.html

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

Ken, your link is for the micro puffy.  This thread is about the macro puffy.  The link in the OP just goes back to this thread.  Don’t see the review anywhere.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Maybe they’ll fix the link or repost it. It worked yesterday and I read Max’s well-reasoned review. Now I can’t find it either.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We’re happy to fix anything … but are confused about what actually needs fixed? Can you explain in detail?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Yesterday the review was the first item on the BPL home page image rotator – now it’s gone.

Yesterday the link in the first post of this thread took you straight to the review – now it redirects to the top of this thread without showing the story above. I’ve even copy-pasted the link at the top of this thread and get the same results.

http://backpackinglight.com/patagonia-macro-puff-hoody-review/

And I’ve logged out, refreshed, quit my browser, and logged in again a few times today – still missing.

Weird.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

PS – Same results on all of these platforms/browsers:

Mac OS – Safari (fully updated)

Mac OS – Safari – VPN through Salt Lake City

Mac OS – Firefox (fully updated)

iPhone/iOS – Safari (fully updated).

HTH.

— Rex

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Lol @ Rex.

Executive summary: Max liked it.

Ken- did you edit your link? It was to the BPL Micro Puff review. Now it’s to Patagonia.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Phil….Patagonia.web presentation after I did not locate Max’s evaluation for those unfamiliar concerning the MACRO Puff Hoody ….after a posting a MICRO posting.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

what’s broken:

The link at the start of the forum on the article just leads back to this forum

None of the top level BPL menus lead to the article

The article does not show up when you click on “reviews” it does not show up when you click on “articles”

You also cannot find it it using the search engine inside BPL and the words “macro puff.”

It is reported above in this thread that the article was on the rotating what’s new page. But it is not there now

In conclusion, it might be posted but there are currently no live links to it that I can find. I suspect that it was perhaps highlighted on the entry web splash page that was displayed for just one day.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Still broken.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Yup. Still broken. No links to the article that I can find.

Bruce

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Yeah, I’m just getting re-directed back to this page when I click on the link for the review.

AlpineIce
    BPL Member

@alpineice

Wait, so you sold the Grade VII Parka you wrote so much about last December in leu of the Macro Puff? Why not have a down winter belay jacket and a synthetic belay jacket?

Shannon W
    BPL Member

@skidtz-2-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hello, and thanks for the write-up. This round of jacket reviews has been extremely helpful.

I think these two typos worth noting:
    Insulation
    The Micro Puff uses 135 g (per square meter) PlumaFill insulation in the torso and 90 g PlumaFill insulation in the sides and sleeves. In comparison, the Micro Puff uses 65 g PlumaFill insulation throughout.”
    And,
    For Whom is This Warmth Ideal?
    The Micro Puff was warm enough for me on multi-day winter trips in temperatures down to around 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-12 C) with little to no wind.”

I think in both these cases the second word should be “Macro” rather than “Micro”.

Keep em coming. Broken links, typos, and all!

James S
    Spectator

@eastsidejim

How did the hood fit?  I ask because my wife got a Hyper Puff hoodie this year and even with a warm hat the hood fell down over her eyes.  We added a vertical adjustable strap on the back of the hood and it worked fine, but it would have nice if Patagonia had said “helmet required’ rather than “helmet compatible”.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I also worry about “helmet compatible hoods” because I so rarely wear helmets and the result is like putting your head inside a sleeping bag when you flip the hood up. But the Macro Puff actually has a pretty trim fitting hood and I wonder how well it would even fit over a helmet. It’s definitely bigger than the Nano Air hoodie line, but not as huge as, say, Arcteryx hoods. The Macro has a single hood adjustment that pulls across the forehead, down to ear level, and then back around the crown of the head. I often find those adjustments don’t do much of anything well since they tend to pull the hood opening AWAY from your face which is the opposite of what I want when cinching a hood down. But the Macro Puff hood opening is pretty well designed and sized for non-helmet use even with that single adjustment. But people’s heads and necks are different sizes and what only droops to my forehead may cover another person’s eyes, so I can’t guarantee adding a rearward pull adjuster won’t be necessary. I also usually wear a ball cap inside my hoods which guarantees the hood stays in place and follows me when I turn my head.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools