Topic

Patagonia M10 Anorak Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia M10 Anorak Review

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Patagonia M10 Anorak Review

This Patagonia M10 Anorak review features a minimally-featured, simply-styled waterproof-breathable rain jacket that weighs 7 oz.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks Ryan. A high quality and useful review.

I really like Patagonia clothing in general for similar reasons that you describe here. With regards to the M10 Anorak, I like the clever construction, minimal design and fixed circumference wrists.

I’ve only tried on the M10 Anorak in the store but the things that give me pause are (1) the short hem length and (2) helmet compatible hood and (3) H2NO membrane. The hem is shorter than I prefer which means a greater chance it’ll ride up under a hipbelt (I’m 5’11 but slim so I usually wear medium). The helmet compatible hood might work okay, but it’s a shame to be lugging around unneeded material that requires more fiddle to make it work on a non-helmeted noggin.

With regards to the H2NO, I’m not opposed to this membrane – it might be great – but at $380 I expect something with more of a track record. I’d prefer GoreTex so I have that warranty to back up the coat and because it’s as waterproof as anything rather than compromising this for breathability.

My take is that if I was a shorter guy, this jacket would be a nice pickup on a 40% off sale.

These days I’m using a Black Diamond Mono Point, which is heavier (8.4oz) and also has a helmet compatible hood, but it was on clearance sale for $96, has a nice long torso and it’s Gore-Tex (12D 2.5L Paclite). Too bad it’s discontinued. Finding a rain coat with a decent torso length is so hard.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I think I would have a hard time looking beyond the fact that it’s missing pit zips.  Even on my eVent rain jacket from Luke’s Ultralight, I like have the zips for extra ventilation.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’d take the Patagucci M10 parka over M10 anorak any day just for the on & off ease and speed.

My REI eVent rain parka is heavier but also more durable. Over the last 6 years I’ve used it for everything from alpine skiing to backpacking  and it still looks and functions like new with a yearly washing (or two) and spraying with Revivex DWR.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Looks like a gorgeous jacket. For a jacket with much welded seams, etc, it seems fairly price competitive versus jackets from competitors.

I wonder how it would fair against spiny Acacia species, etc, in Australian conditions…

Patrick Podenski
    BPL Member

@patpodenski

How would the M10 compare to the Marmot Essence jacket?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@dandydan wrote “With regards to the H2NO, I’m not opposed to this membrane – it might be great”

It’s definitely not the H2No of the old days. The performance gap is narrowing…

@jjmcwill
    wrote “I think I would have a hard time looking beyond the fact that it’s missing pit zips.”

Forgoing pit zips may require a shift in expectations…accepting some condensation buildup and/or slowing down when you’re on that fringe of wetting out.

@oysters
    wrote “I wonder how it would fair against spiny Acacia species, etc, in Australian conditions…”

Yeah, not so much…! It’s still ‘light’.

@patpodenski
    wrote “How would the M10 compare to the Marmot Essence jacket?”

The Essence is *much* less breathable. I wore the Essence on several trips last summer and it’s not even in the same class as the H2No Performance fabric. It’s weird, too, because the actual ASTM test numbers don’t seem dramatically different, but it’s noticeable. Maybe a fabric construction thing. There is definite advantage to a 3-layer with a tricot lining, which physically (mechanically) disperses moisture into smaller bits (surface area increase) so evap can proceed faster.

Tim Hawthorne
    Spectator

@tim_hawthorne

Locale: Southwest

Thanks Ryan for the Hem and Yaw Hoo of new ultra lightweight rain gear.  Well organized, analyzed and written.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Essence is *much* less breathable. I wore the Essence on several trips last summer and it’s not even in the same class as the H2No Performance fabric. It’s weird, too, because the actual ASTM test numbers don’t seem dramatically different, but it’s noticeable. Maybe a fabric construction thing. There is definite advantage to a 3-layer with a tricot lining, which physically (mechanically) disperses moisture into smaller bits (surface area increase) so evap can proceed faster.

I think that 3 layer fabrics “seem” to breathe better than clammy 2.5 layer fabrics.  I am sure they probably don’t really breathe better though.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I think I would have a hard time looking beyond the fact that it’s missing pit zips.

Pit vent fans should have a look at the Arcteryx Norvan (not to be confused with the Norvan SL). It’s got pit vents (always open), 20D 3-layer Gore-Tex, a nice toothed main zipper and only weighs 7.6oz thanks to a minimal feature set (e.g. no adjustability at all on the waist hem, wrists and hood).

Compared to the M10 Anorak, it’s 0.4oz heavier but has a full main zip, pit vents and uses Gore-Tex, plus it’s cheaper ($350 vs $380). In fairness though the fit is pretty small so you need to size up 1. The actual weight difference is probably 1oz. I’m  5’11, 165lbs and usually wear a medium but I’m an obvious large in the Norvan.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Thanks for the article…I now have a much greater appreciation for Patagonia and good craftsmanship in general.

My “just-for-when” gear is Sierra Designs’ Air Cloud jacket and pants @ 7.7 oz for both (and that includes the tiny stuff sacks)!  Unfortunately they no longer make it.

Happy trails.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

a fabric that has less skin contact (tricot lining) can seem quite a bit less damp than a smooth surface

which is why fleece always work better damp than synth jackets, even though both are theoretically “warm when wet”

which is of course the main issue with 2.5L jackets … the smooth printed interior lining

old school rain jackets used to all have a rough texture inside, either some kind of tricot lining or even a bit of mesh fabric … despite the crap breathability some like my goretex XCR can “feel” less damp than a modern 2.5L jacket

heres someones same experience with bivies

One of the things that seems to happen with the vapor and air permeable fabrics (eVent, Gore-Tex FLO2, Gore-Tex Respiration Positive, Exchangelite and the less waterproof Gore-Tex Dryloft now Windstopper [10]) is that the membranes are laminated onto fabrics, and many lined with Tricot, that seem to help wick or pass the moisture through the material. I feel that this is why my old OR bivy had so few condensation problems, it has an almost cottony feel to it. The problem with these fabrics is they are heavier and the lightest of these bivies on the market are 13 oz. and up, with most around 18 oz. and they are crazy expensive ($200 plus).

https://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/the-bivy-condensation-conundrum/

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It looks like Patagonia is making a 6 ounce 3 layer jacket now. Any thoughts?

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-storm-racer-running-jacket/24110.html?dwvar_24110_color=CYL&cgid=mens-new

I owned a marmot essence jacket and liked it a lot although never seriously tested it, it seems to have been lost or stolen, just totally disappeared from my life. Still have the essence pants though. I liked it’s fit and it’s comfy stretch fabric. It is no longer being made by marmot. I have been looking for a replacement.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Thanks for the thorough review.

this piece checks off several boxes for me; found one here in the Gear Swap (would have trouble with the retail price) so hope to put it through it’s paces. if it makes the cut will likely accompany me in the 2017 Bob Open.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I sent patagonia an email asking about the differences between the storm racer jacket and the m10 anorak. I will post back when I get an answer. The storm racer is listed as one ounce lighter and has a full zipper.

The m10 has a 12 denier 2oz fabric, the storm racer has a 12 denier 1.74oz fabric. Maybe the m10 fabric is a little more durable? They both claim to use the 3 layer h2no fabric, I wonder if its the same membrane with the same specs.

The m10 claims to have an alpine helmet compatible hood while the storm racer page shows a guy wearing a bike helmet (possibly better fitting with no helmet?).

The m10 has “Ultrasonic-welded seams are reinforced with narrow seam tape for superlow bulk” and “Engineered pattern eliminates all seaming from the shoulders and back panel, reducing points of failure and enhancing modest stretch of the fabric.” The storm racer has a shoulder seam.

The m10 anorak is marketed towards climbing while the storm chaser is marketed towards running or biking. I am curious what the functional differences are regardless of their design intent. There is a $130 difference between the two.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ will be interested to see what they have to say- obviously a small difference in fabric; the construction of the M10 might simply be a little more involved thus the higher cost??????

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Wow the Patagonia Storm Racer looks good on paper. To have 3-layer construction, a toothed zip and even some features (hood adjustment, chest pocket) for 6 ounces is impressive – and the price is a lot better. It makes me wonder if the membrane ultra thin and unlikely to last long. Seems like the 0.25oz/yd fabric different compared to the M10 is likely cut from the membrane.

If Patagonia has gone with a super thin membrane like Pertex Shield+, then it would be more of a “just in case” jacket – one step above the Alpine Houdini in storm protection. Patagonia seems to have a bunch of versions of their H2No but not a lot of transparency on what’s used where.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I feel like I can trust Patagonia a bit more when it comes to ultralight stuff. Part of their mission is to reduce waste by creating durable clothing. I hope that they wouldn’t produce something that would fall apart and end up in the trash.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Got a response back:

“Hello Justin,

Thank you for reaching out to Patagonia!  We are always happy to assist.

Thank you for your patience and time.  The M10 Anorak Jacket and the Storm Racer Jacket will perform similarly, you are correct, and both do feature a 3-layer nylon fabric.  The M10 Anorak has a heavier weight fabric, coming in with a 2-oz 12-denier, while the Storm Racer features a  1.74-oz 12-denier.  While they have the same denier, the fabric weight differs, and that of the M10 is slightly heartier.  The M10 Anorak offers ultrasonic-welded seams are reinforced with narrow seam tape for superlow bulk, which will naturally drive up the price as this is considered a technical feature (welded seams, that is).  While the Storm Racer Jacket’s hood has a roll-and-stow feature, the M10 Anorak Jacket carries an alpine helmet-compatible hood with a laminated visor.  All around, the jackets will perform similarly and have equal air permeability ratings.  The differences are in their features, as the M10 Anorak is much more technical and specific.  I hope this helps!

If you have any additional questions or if there is anything more that we can do to help, please let me know. Customer service representatives are also happy to help you with any questions you may have via phone or chat on patagonia.com. Agents are available by phone at 800.638.6464 and via Live Chat Monday through Thursday 6am-7pm, Fridays 6am-7pm (PST) and Saturday and Sunday 8am-4pm (PST).

All the best,
    Natalie

Patagonia Customer Service”

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

nice to get a concise answer to a question- good on Patagonia :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I’m actually don’t know what “denier” is. Is denier the best measurement for the durability of a fabric? Is it possible to have 2 fabrics, both the same denier, but one is heavier/ more durable than the other?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

According to Merriam-Webster:

“a unit of fineness for yarn equal to the fineness of a yarn weighing one gram for each 9000 meters <em class=”vi”><100-denier yarn is finer than 150-denier yarn>”

I guess you could use the same “yarn” but weave it more closely/denser and get a heavier fabric. To me that seems to mean the heavier fabric would have more threads per inch and therefore be more durable.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Is it possible to have 2 fabrics, both the same denier, but one is heavier/ more durable than the other?

As mentioned, denier is the weight of the threads. A “denier” is how many grams 5.5 miles (9km) of the thread weighs. So it’s useful, but just one piece of the puzzle. There still can be differences in thread type (nylon, poly, dyneema), how tightly it’s woven, if it’s calendared or not, treated or not etc.

The weights Patagonia is using (2oz, 1.74oz) are not just for the 12D face fabric, but rather for the full sandwich, since a 12D fabric alone should weigh under 1oz. So it includes the face fabric, DWR coating, membrane and inner scrim. This is a bit muddled in the response, because the rep is referring to the whole sandwich as the “fabric” but then there’s also the 12D face fabric.

I suspect the sales rep doesn’t know where the .26oz of weight savings are coming from, which is why the answer here is vague. It could be the face fabric, but I’m skeptical Patagonia is using two different 12D fabric fabrics. I think it’s more likely to be in the membrane or the backing. Patagonia specs a 7D backing for the Storm Racer but doesn’t say for the M10 Anorak.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

sounds like a possible case for Richard and his microscope :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I received a storm racer today. Size medium weighs in at 6.1 ounces. I don’t have much to say about it, it’s a super minimal rain shell and pretty much what I expected. It has an elasticated cuff, a slightly elasticated hem (no draw cord). It has a single point hood adjustment on the back of the head.

It fits a little slimmer than most other rain jackets. I normally wear a patagonia small in their “regular” fit shirts and fleece sweaters and bought a medium rain jacket which is their “slim” fit. I have plenty of mid layer room in the jacket. With a base layer + light fleece + montbell mirage down jacket, the down jacket is a bit compressed. Compared to my marmot essence jacket (which I lost somehow), the montbell mirage wouldn’t be compressed. So it’s a less boxy fit.

We will have to see how it performs in actual rain. If it rains later this week I will try to take it on a road run.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools