Topic

Patagonia Airshed Pullover Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia Airshed Pullover Review

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Hi Mike:

Thank you for the offer.  One is already on the way.  I will post the test results.

Any luck with that one Stephen?  Thanks!

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Mike:

Yes.  Here are the results. Patagonia Air Shed Pro Pullover (2023)

Pertex Quantum Air fabric
    Air Perm in CFM/ft2 .5 “/wc: 87.6/131.8/263.5  The first number is for the shell portion, the second is for the Capilene arms and side hood panels, the third is for the center hood panel, which consists of two layers of Capilene.  This is the highest air permeability of any windshirt I have tested.  The original Air Shed was a mere 57.6.    I don’t understand the Capilene hood and lower sleeves.  These areas wick rapidly but won’t hold much sweat before saturating.  If you need any wind protection, it is likely the wind will be hitting a wet fabric, causing evaporation and heat loss from the wearer.
    Hydrostatic Head: 86mmwc.  This is the lowest I have measured for a new garment.
    MVTR: 3960 g/m2/24 hours.  As expected, very high.

I have not worn this since it is still winter here and usually pretty windy.

What do you see as a good use for this type of garment?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hey Mike:

I just read your former post about the Alpine Start air permeability.

You had this response from Black Diamond:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. The jacket is 40 CFM (cubic feet per minute) which is technically 40 CFM/M2 (cubic feet per minute per meter squared) but the industry simply refers to this as CFM.

This is actually kind of strange.  Their units mix metric and English units.  I have no idea what the statement from Black Diamond means except the respondent was probably confused.  Maybe you can ask them again.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Running. Or generally high output moving fast type stuff in cool and cold temps. It’s a versatile shirt…

Running in cooler temps (say, 30f – 50f), I wear it standalone. Running in colder temps, I wear one size larger with a merino air t-shirt underneath. Colder and walking (backpacking), I can also fit a thin cashmere sweater or a Cap Thermal Weight between the t-shirt and sized-up Airshed Pro. This works really well for me in a wide temperature range through winter. Not below zero kind of winter, but 30s, 20s and teens when on the move.

The hood and sleeves are excellent when running in these temps. The hood stays in place when worn or turning your head side to side, and tucks in if you don’t want to wear it, otherwise unobtrusive. The sleeves stretch to cover your hands, or push up to cool off.

This was designed for mountain trail running, called the High Endurance Kit, with help from trail runners Clare Gallagher and Luke Nelson.

I’m considering wearing the large as a standalone piece this summer as as sun shirt. Kinda like the “Taslan” shirt mentioned elsewhere here recently by Roger, Mark V and others.

Thanks for testing it, Stephen!

Edit: I have an earlier version, don’t think it’s Pertex Quantum Air

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Stephen- I was actually asking about the MARS Level 5 Patagonia windshirt for the military- I was under the impression someone was sending you one, is that not the case?

Regarding the 2023 Air Shed, that sounds too air permeable for a windshirt.  Maybe for extremely high aerobic activities????  Not sure.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Mike:

Sorry.  What I was sent was a Patagonia Gen 2 Level 4 Windshirt.  I believe this has silicone encapsulation.  A few years ago I tested a Patagonia Level 5 windshirt. Air Perm 1.2, HH 245 and MVTR 2341.

Would you expect the Mars Level 5 to be the same as the one I tested?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Chris:

Have you used yours in high winds with cold temperatures?  What was your experience?

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Stephen – it’s not much of a windbreaker when you come right down to it. It’s better than the original Airshed because you can push up the sleeves, vent with the double zipper, and the hood is A+. But it’s not in the same category as most UL windshirts… it’s more like a tech-y hybrid version of a lightweight knit top. 50/50 Capilene Cool hoody / original Airshed.

If my heart rate is up, and/or I have a t-shirt underneath, it’s a comfortable layer that I don’t feel the need to shed in colder weather. On a couple recent overnights in Rocky Mountain NP below treeline with highs in the low 20s and a variable moderate breeze (there’s always a breeze there), I did not take off the merino t + cashmere sweater (9 oz) + Airshed Pro, nor felt the need to add my Montbell Versalite. But I run warm on the move.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Hi Mike:

Sorry.  What I was sent was a Patagonia Gen 2 Level 4 Windshirt.  I believe this has silicone encapsulation.  A few years ago I tested a Patagonia Level 5 windshirt. Air Perm 1.2, HH 245 and MVTR 2341.

Would you expect the Mars Level 5 to be the same as the one I tested?

Steven- I misspoke, I meant Level 4.  The Level 4 is the military’s windshirt (based on the Houdini w/ a few changes); their Level 5 is a soft-shell which I’d expect to be less air permeable.

If you have the Level 4 in hand, I’d love to see the results of that.  It does have Epic encapsulation which should render the water resistance more long lasting.

Thanks!

Mike

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Mike:  The level 4 I just tested produced the following:

Air Permeability: 0.5
    Hydrostatic Head: 297
    MVTR: 2100

So, it stops wind, has typical windshirt water resistance (although likely permanent) and meager MVTR.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Thank you Sir- much appreciated!

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools