Topic

PANTS (warm weather, on-trail)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PANTS (warm weather, on-trail)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ok that’s it. I’m officially done with Railriders Eco-Mesh pants. The function is great but the cut is just ridiculous and I can’t do another summer of hiking in high-waisted, pleated chinos. I can’t.

I hike in AZ from September to May and the Sierras when possible in the summer or maybe early fall. No serious bushwhacking or butt-sliding on granite.

My priorities are sun-protection and breathability. I think my ideal pants would be woven nylon with some mesh panels for breathability. I’d prefer a trim fit. An integrated belt would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Art Rhizhiy Hiker
    BPL Member

@verysimple

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

These are my favorite hiking pants. I wore a pair on my PCT LASH last spring, they performed well. They dried quickly, and I was never hot. Has Insect Shield treatment as well.

https://www.exofficio.com/sale/men/mens-bugsaway-sandfly-pants/AFS_613543136329.html

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Hiking pants are a real problem… at least for me. Seems most have gone for style rather than function… most have gone to a ‘city cut’ so they look good and not baggy. Problem is, the ‘city cut’ restricts movement and leaves very little room in what pockets they do include for actual stuff. Even REI’s Sahara has gone that way. Another issue I don’t like is top entry pockets… (designers seem to like that ‘jeans look’… problem with top entry pockets is you have to fight your backpack belt to get into them…. side entry pockets better. So they try to make up for the restricting slim ‘city cut’ with spandex… problem is spandex is hot and adds weight. I got so disgusted with the hiking pants that are available now, I started buy older versions of the REI Sahara pants on eBay… baggy cut with lots of room in side entry pockets… yea… they look terrible in the city :)))

But… people like different things…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some sandflys on the way. Great price!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

OR Ferrosi pants are light, highly breathable. I recently wore 4 days on warm, humid Cumberland Island GA. Enough air flowed to keep me comfortable. Bonus is the tapered legs. I HATE baggy lower legs that catch on vegetation and rocks!

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

This guy did a deep dive into such pants and came away with the MH Trailsenders and OR Astros.

Jeffrey H
    BPL Member

@jeffers

I love these pants and I wear them year round as I’m rough on my clothes and like to go on impromptu day hikes when I can.

Very cool in the heat and not clingy like some hiking pants. I know you said durability is not a major concern but they are super durable.

Jeffrey H
    BPL Member

@jeffers

Weird the link just showed the photo. They are the 5.11 Tactical Men’s Fast TAC Tactical TDU Cargo Pant, Style #74461 on amazon.

Cop pants!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I had a pair western rise evolution (v1 – before they added more stretch) which was a bit faded for front country but works well in the backcountry and in town for resupply.  Last I looked they were heavily discounted on WR website.

Not a better look that eco-mesh but the most comfortable in heat for me was a pair of shorts + white castelli leg sleeves. I found when my legs feel cooler in the “sleeves” than when bare in direct sunlight.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I don’t hike in pants often, but when I do, I’ve been (lately) wearing and really liking the Patagonia Terrebone joggers. Trim fit, lightweight, reasonably durable (so far), light DWR finish, and no extra bells and whistles.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Love everything ExOfficio I have ever owned.  Sandflys are on the way.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Another vote for Ex Officio sandfly pants. I’ve been a fan for a number of years now.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I’m with Nico, I only wear pants when necessary and I don’t like belts so woven running pants are my go to. For the last 5/6 years that has been the Terrebonne pants. They fit over shorts when necessary or just alone over briefs. The oldest pair still going strong though a bit faded by high altitude sun in Colorado. I wear the same 2 pairs I own pretty much daily.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Another vote for the Terrebone Jogger.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

In defense of the Eco Mesh pants, I think the ridiculously baggy cut adds to the function of the pants.  The baggy cut increases airflow over a slim fit pant.  I used a pair for a decade and they finally wore out and I bought a new pair two years ago.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

I don’t know if they are even made anymore, but I really liked the old Prana Sutra pants that were made out of a thin fabric that was 53% hemp, 44% recycled polyester and 3% spandex.  Breathed super well, kept funk down, felt dry reasonably fast (not as fast as all synthetic though), were cooling in hot weather, and were surprisingly tough for the thin nature of the fabric.  Somewhat more sustainable due to combo of hemp and recycled polyester.

Things I didn’t like though were the pockets (could be deeper), the drawstring closure, and lack of belt loops. Also not mosquito bite proof like tightly woven nylon pants. Slightly over baggy also, but I would take slightly over baggy, over, over tight any day.

I used them when we did the CT some years back. (Also had a pair of shorts which had modular water/wind resistant SUL legs I could easily/quickly add or take off).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oooh busy day for this thread. Lots to catch up on. Thank you for all of the recommendations.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Arcteryx Gamma LTs. A bit pricey but the ones I bought in 2008 are still going strong.

Three large zipped pockets.  Relatively light. Breathable.

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I appreciate the thread as I’ve been looking for some good new pant options. I grabbed some sandfly pants as well. Couldn’t find them in the short version (I’m 5’6″) so I may get them hemmed. Matthew, let me know how you like them when yours get in. If I remember correctly, we are about the same size.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yep, I’m 5’6″ too.

I ordered three different models from Patagonia because they make pants in short lengths so I actually have four pairs of pants to try out.

Deputy Sean’s guide above seems like good content. I have enjoyed his analysis and agreed with his logic of other gear in the past. Those MH Trail Senders look very good. If I’m not thrilled with the Pattys or Sandflys I will probably try the Senders next.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Finally got tired of street wear and bought a pair of Marmot Rockstars at EMS where I could try them on before buying.  They are called a ‘soft shell’ pant, and while not waterproof, resist wetting out, yet ventilate and stretch.  Despite their light weight, they are also very rugged and resistant to abrasion.

Got caught in an early spring backpack, with post holing in snow up a mountain trail on the second day, and freezing rain coating everything during the night; and had brought no traction to descend.  Made it down with the trekking pole, but coming off the steep, it was waterworld, with every rivulet becoming a roaring stream that had to be slogged across.  Was never chilled or uncomfortable, although my feet were soaked.  Cut the trek short, and took a beeline trail around the mountain all day to where the car was parked at the end of a forest road.  The pants had dried out before reaching the main road.  Will never try anything else.

While I also carry some old Patagonia baggies for hot weather, seldom have the need for them, the Rockstars are so comfortable and well ventilated, and are protective in rough terrain or boiling sun.  Great for traversing a massive boulder fall that had slid down a major arm of Mount Richthofen in Colorado’s Never Summer Wilderness.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

But the real (and important) question is, do you feel like a real Rockstar when wearing them…?

More seriously, they do look like nice pants.

But I don’t think the breathability, coolness, and toughness/durability of these can be beat (I like to see any folks here slash their pants with a new box cutter (not razor) blade and have nada happen):
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/ultimate-warmer-weather-bushwhacking-pants-material/

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I feel like the Sandflys have a long waist for my body which means the crotch hangs low and limits mobility. The fabric is great and I’m sure the mesh panels help a lot too. I’m bummed about the fit but I’ll be sending them back.

Patagonia Altiva pants are nice a nice fit and stretchy but I don’t like having the zippers at the ankles. I feel like mosquitos would but right through them. Expensive. Getting returned.

Patagonia Quandrys are nice. I’m keeping them. Good fit. Fabric is relatively breathable using the nonscientific blow-through-the-fabric test. Good crotch gusset. Pockets are relatively deep. There’s a drawstring (yay) but it stretches too easily to be useful (boo). I’ll wear them on long hike Tuesday.

I may still try the Trail Senders too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools