Topic

Ultimate warmer weather bushwhacking pants/material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultimate warmer weather bushwhacking pants/material?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

I saw some level 5 cut resistant pants on Aliexpress that are supposedly made out of “high strength polyethylene and carbon fiber”.  I thought they would be cooling, hydrophobic/very quick drying, and relatively light weight but super tough and durable–thus probably really good for bushwhacking and/or for general longevity.

They were more expensive than I would usually pay for a pair of pants at 60 dollars, and I immediately had buyers remorse after (and canceled the order within about an hour later).  Well, its the first time that a seller on there ignored my cancel request, and though I tried canceling again later on, they got shipped anyways (heads up on that–the sellers name on there is “Shop5881529 Store”)

Just received them. I’m a little confused though. They are indeed very cut resistant. I took a pretty new razor blade and tried to slash the pant cuff at the bottom and multiple times.  Nothing.  So it does at least have a moderate amount of high strength fibers in it.  But it was heavier than I expected.  PE is pretty low density. Carbon fiber though has greater density than the average materials used for textiles (and almost twice as dense as PE [closer to 1.75x]).  But the overall weight makes me wonder if they also have fiberglass and/or steel fibers as well–these are fairly common in lower cost cut resistant fabrics and items. The color of the fibers/yarns look to be about an equal blend of white and black (lol Yin Yang pants!)

I expected them to be quite thermally conductive and indeed they are–they feel close to my all UHWMPE gloves and arm guards. Heat passes right through the material (which is why they would only be good for warmer weather, and maybe cool’ish weather with a baselayer on underneath).

They are quite breathable–little resistance to blowing or sucking air through the fabric.

What I am quite confused about though, is that I thought water was going to bead up on the surface. Not at all, it readily goes into the fabric–maybe it is the looser weave, but even then, I expected some water to bead up because all the above materials are extremely low moisture regain and very hydrophobic in nature?  I mean, that’s ok if they are quick drying. I’d rather have a warmer weather material absorb and spread water than just bead it overall, except in rain.

Anyways, anyone here ever try cut resistant pants for bushwhacking?  Or just try cut resistant pants in general for backpacking?  I expect the material to last a really long time, but might depend?  If anyone is interested in looking at the pair I bought, here is a link: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801006086508.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.4baf29d5MX2iCu&algo_pvid=96b8d8d7-8883-4215-bfff-cbfda4a29174&algo_exp_id=96b8d8d7-8883-4215-bfff-cbfda4a29174-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2210000015258224658%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%2170.0%2159.5%21%21%21%21%21%40211bf14716732098430797634d06c8%2110000015258224658%21sea&curPageLogUid=lL6eb0L51E7e

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

A thought occurred to me, the carbon fiber in them might act as a resistive heating element.  Theoretically, one could hook up a battery to them to get heated pants. If battery tech ever significantly improves over current, then on cold weather trips one could have heated pants.

(Btw, the material is drying pretty fast, but feels super cold to the touch)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Could be exciting if the battery voltage was a bit too high.

Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Back the 1980s, my most cut-resistant pants were Patagonia’s Baggie Pants (long) with 41% Nylon, 38% polyester and 21% cotton (how can I remember those numbers from 38 years ago, but not my Amazon password?). A companion shaved his leg through them (slid down slope with very sharp ski edges against his calf) but the pants were not damaged.  The cotton content made them feel less like synthetic fabric.

In the summer, I never go off trail in Alaska without light Nylon LS shirt and long pants for protection against alders, Devil’s club and wild rose. It’s 1000 feet vertically above tree line till you get to the brush line.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cotton duck canvas carpenter’s pants: Carhart, Dickies, or similar. My hunting season in SoCA begins in high heat and is awfully scrambly in all sorts of prickly brush/manzanita. Cotton duck works and lasts, does double duty for construction jobs, so no need to get more complicated for me. With full boots and high socks, I like the fabric’s heaviness for potential rattlesnake encounters.

Many already have double material in the knees and butt, I find this quite useful in camp and when sitting around on ridges, etc.  I’ve considered sewing a double layer on the shins for extra protection against yucca (but cooler than gaiters)…but single layer does well enough.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Yes well, it would make sense to build in some kind of voltage and amperage regulator or resistor to avoid that, Roger. But yes, it certainly could bring a new meaning to the phrase, “hot pants”…

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

It sounds like they were very nice pants David. Isn’t it funny how memory works like that?

I was impressed by how I couldn’t even make a visible mark by slashing these pants with a pretty new utility knife blade (I mistakenly called it a “razor” blade earlier I think). Makes me think they will probably last a very long time and maybe just need some re-stitching here and there over the years.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Hi Craig,

Yeah, cotton is nice in hot and dry weather and climes.  Unfortunately, dry rarely ever applies to the area I live and most often hike at.  Hot yes, but often also quite humid.  Rain is fairly common.  Once cotton gets soaked with either sweat or rain, it swells up and becomes far less breathable and holds onto that moisture forever (in the common high humidity here–common range average is from around 55 to 90% RH.).

A high hydrophobic/low moisture regain ratio and high breathability is pretty much a necessity most of the time.

While these pants (or at least the core material) will probably last a very, very long time, one downside is that the material wouldn’t be very good against sharp, pointy things since it is a somewhat loose weave compared to the materials both you and David talked about (and most of my nylon pants are far more tightly woven than this).

So in reality, it probably wouldn’t make the ultimate bushwhacking pants/material by itself if said bushwhacking involves a lot of sharp, thin, pointy stuff.

Btw, how have you been?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yes, fortunately my hot season is also dry; cotton is the go-to.

I’m great Justin, thank you. Family, art, the outdoors, teaching…It’s all in a very nice balance. I hope you’re well.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

I’m glad to hear that you are doing well and are maintaining a good balance.

I’m ok–hopefully on the up and up.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Since these pants are literally actively cooling and quite breathable (due to the combo of the former with the high thermal conductivity of the material), if you were bushwhacking where there is a lot of sharp/thin pointy stuff, you could wear a lightweight, breathable, but more tightly woven nylon pant (like the Railrider Boneflats, Ex Officio BugsAway Sandfly pants, etc) on the inside.  I think the combo could handle almost anything thrown its way.  The outer layer would protect the nylon from abrasion and slash cuts (and UV), and the inner nylon would help with sharp/pointy stuff that might get by the more loose weave of the outer pants.

I don’t hike in such conditions (so far, and) wouldn’t need such a combo. But, I am highly interested in long term durability/longevity of a single layer. Mentioning the above for folks that do bushwhack in gnarly conditions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools