Topic

Pad+Pillow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pad+Pillow?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Long ago, I gave up on the “clothes in a stuff sack” pillow. Striving to not carry extra clothing, I found myself waking with a sore neck due to the inadequate support provided by stuff sack with a pair of socks and a rain jacket. So I caved and bought an inflatable pillow. Oh, yes! So nice with both CCF or inflatable sleep pads. I’ve now been (mostly) happy using an assortment of inflatible pillows for years.  I am a dynamic sleeper, though. And with a hoodless quilt/bag, I am tasked with designing an attachment system for each of my configurations of a pillow plus a pad. The best and easiest is to slip my hiking shirt over the pad’s end, but again, I may need to sleep in this shirt.</p>
    So, my question is… with many of us using both inflatible pads and inflatible pillows, why aren’t more pads made with built-in pillows? It seems like it would be simpler, lighter and cheaper.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Most pad/pillows I’ve seen are pretty low so only a partial solution for side sleepers.  Some don’t like any pillow, like stomach sleepers.  So it only really works for back sleepers.

A pillow attachment standard would be a better solution.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

Paul, I wonder why the pad w/ pillows are low. I agree, not sufficient for side sleepers. Seems like they could be made taller.

I like the idea of a standard attachment. Although, I also like the idea of a combo being lighter and cheaper.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

There was a recent topic about folding over the excess length of you pad to make a pillow.  I’ve yet to try it out but I have the same pad and am looking forward to the potential.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I wonder why the pad w/ pillows are low. I agree, not sufficient for side sleepers. Seems like they could be made taller.

But if so then it would be too tall for back and stomach sleepers…

Jeff W.
    BPL Member

@jcwhynot

Locale: Northeast

Michael, on Stick’s blog he has a video of the attachment system he uses for his pillow setup.  It’s an Exped UL inflatable pillow covered with a Goosefeet Gear down sleeve.  I thrash around all night, too, and bought the same setup, only I got the smaller, medium size Exped UL.  Comes in at a total of 4 oz, which I consider to be my luxury item.  The attachment is super light and easy.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I went to pretty deep length about pad/pillow attachment issues and believe I came up with a great solution. (see page 2 for the final solution) ->

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/incessantly-annoying-pillow-off-my-pad-problem-with-solution/

And….the big sky dreamsleeper pillow is very tall. No problem for side sleepers.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Check out the pads and pillows at Montbell, as they’ve solved this problem decades ago: their pads and pillows are provisioned so that they can attach to each other!  Who woulda thought…

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

Got derailed a bit… my original post wasn’t so much about attaching a pillow to a pad. Instead, I asked why you can’t buy a quality pad with a built in pillow. Potentially lighter, cheaper and simpler?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

Thanks, Ken. I guess I was thinking of the major manus. I didn’t even think to look at off-brands. But really, I wonder what’s wrong with this one?

Cheap

17 oz. Pad+Pillow

No chasing the pillow in the middle of the night

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I just use a piece of thin elastic bungee cord and a cordlock that is attached to either side of my pillow (I also use an Exped UL + Goosefeet case).  I loop the bungee cord around the top end of my pad, right where I want my pillow to be, and cinch it with the cordlock. Doesn’t move until I loosen it in the morning.

Ahhhhhhhh, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools