Topic

Packraft Reviews: 2018 State of the Market Report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Packraft Reviews: 2018 State of the Market Report

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Companion forum thread to: Packraft Reviews: 2018 State of the Market Report

2018 Packraft Reviews and State of the Market Report providing a comprehensive overview of solo river packrafts.

JoeD
    Spectator

@joed

Locale: Big Belts

Wow, I agree about the diypackraft site. What an option given how expensive the Alpacka multi-person boats are. I’m planning on buying the Voyageur 2 person kit and wanted to see if others more experienced had any tips on sizing. Apparently the kit is very easy to make larger.

Right now I’d like to fit me, (5’10” tall), my wife (5’4″) and our 2 year old. But this fall there’ll be another new addition to the family, which means next spring and summer it’d be nice to fit both us adults, the three year old, and the not quite 1 year old. I know Alpacka’s Forager raft is 72″ long and they say it comfortably fits two adults and a child. So the question is, how much longer should I make the Voyageur to accommodate another child? The weight penalty seems minor, especially since it’ll still be lighter than taking two boats. The tape measure on the living room floor just isn’t helping get any more specific than somewhere between 80-100″.

The second question is about handling. Is there a point that it’s just too large and unwieldy for one person to paddle when it’s just one adult and two kids? Given our lack of experience this will most certainly not be in whitewater.

Appreciate any insights.

TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Locale: "Top-of-Utah"

The main downside to the DIY boats seems to be creating the other features you might want (spray decks, backrests etc), since there isn’t a kit for a Spray Deck as far as I can see.

I realize it’s almost 2020 & this may have been discussed elsewhere but thought I’d update this. There are new & improved models available…just as affordable.

In regards to the to spray decks/skirts on the DIY packraft’s…they are now available & just as affordable. They can be added after assembly .I.E. to existing boats

https://www.diypackraft.com/shop/merchandise/kits/spray-deck/

https://www.diypackraft.com/shop/merchandise/kits/spray-skirt/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools