Topic

Packing Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packing Backpack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ncwild
    BPL Member

@ncwild

Locale: Western North Carolina

So, thinking about stuffing sleeping bag into trash compactor liner in bottom of pack, rather than the tiny stuff sack it came with.  This would fill out the bottom of the pack and be easier and quicker.  Fold this liner over, then use another compactor bag for clothes, food, electronic, toilet articles, first aid, etc.  Then just pack my tent, wet perhaps, loosely in the top of the bag, again being easier/quicker.  Really hate having to stuff bag, tent, and from what I have seen on this site, a lot of people avoid using stuff sacks.  Would like thoughts on this system?

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

For my sleeping bag I use a 20L Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack.  I “squish” (compress) the sleeping bag down then close the dry sack per instructions.  While the sleeping bag will expand slightly in the dry sack, it stays small enough for me to pack my other gear on top and has the advantage of being “shapable” to the pack (I still use a trash compactor as a bag liner).  At my site I’m able to remove the bag even if raining and not worry about it getting wet or flopping out of the trash compactor bag.  Trick I learned from a REI guy.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Personally I’d want toilet and FAK a little easier to access. 

Trash compactor bags are relatively heavy and stiff. Nylofume bags are lighter, transparent and much better handling.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

“So, thinking about stuffing sleeping bag into trash compactor liner in bottom of pack, rather than the tiny stuff sack it came with.  This would fill out the bottom of the pack and be easier and quicker.  Fold this liner over, then use another compactor bag for clothes, food, electronic, toilet articles, first aid, etc.”

That’s how I do it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

ncwild
    BPL Member

@ncwild

Locale: Western North Carolina

Thanks for all the responses.  Great ideas.  Will have to try this in the field.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools