Topic

Packing sleeping bag without dedicated stuff sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Packing sleeping bag without dedicated stuff sack

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ron G
    BPL Member

@grids7

Locale: Central VA

I’ve read many of the posts here at BPL where hikers talk about *not* packing their sleeping bag/quilt in a dedicated stuff sack, to gain more room.  Intellectually I thought I understood the why, but didn’t really think it would buy me enough room to make it worthwhile.  Tried it this last weekend, and woohoo, that’s a humdinger of a packing “hack”.  Dropped the top of my load about an inch and a half in the pack.  That’s a lesson to me – try it!  Thanks to BPL posters.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

It also adds some structure and stability to a frameless pack.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

It’s got other advantages, also-

1. No big lump in the pack pressing up against your back
    2. The bag is already partially fluffed on arrival at camp due to never being fully compressed- a fluffier bag is a warmer bag
    3. The bag tends to wrap itself around the other stuff in your pack, keeping things from rattling, shifting, etc.
    Cole B
    BPL Member

@cole-b

Locale: The Edge of the Linville Gorge

I’ve packed like that before, and the benefits are undeniable, but I’ve gone back to a dedicated stuff sack for my quilt for two reasons:

1. On rainy trips, I find it nearly impossible to keep the wet stuff separate from the dry stuff.
    2. The relatively delicate quilt seemed vulnerable to damage from all the hard stuff floating around in it.

But it’s a technique that works well for many people.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

“I’ve gone back to a dedicated stuff sack for my quilt…”

I use a Very large and light stuff sack to accomplish the same result, while protecting my “fluffy stuff” from the other gear.

It’s an effective compromise.

Cole B
    BPL Member

@cole-b

Locale: The Edge of the Linville Gorge

I use a Very large and light stuff sack to accomplish the same result, while protecting my “fluffy stuff” from the other gear.

I might have to try that.  What type of stuff sack do you use and is it waterproof?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Cole –

I originally started with a Granite Gear “Air Block” (I believe) which has a dry bag closure and an eVent bottom as a “outlet valve” for trapped air.

I now use NyloFume bags, at about 0.9 ounces each.  They pre-date the uberlight materials available today, but I’ve got them so I use them. They are large enough to line my Ohm with a lot left over in all directions. (I recently got a Exped Schnozzel made of said material, almost as large, which weighs 2 ounces.)

I drop a NyloFume bag in, fill it will fluffy stuff and sleeping clothes, squash it as much as possible, then fold it over and tuck the remainder to the bottom. Air escapes easily as I add gear.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Is NyloFume the same material as oven bags?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nylofume bags are made from a special nylon polymer film, used for the protection of food and commodities during gas fumigations, termite exterminator companies use them.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

It can be hard to find Nylofume in small quantities, but they are available on ebay as singles at a reasonable price.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Reynolds turkey roasting bags keep my sleeping bag dry. Turkey bags are big enough to fill the bottom of most packs, big enough to not compress the bag too much, yet still compress the bag if needed.

Turkey bags are also strong, relatively cheap, and easy to find in boxes of 2. I get more than a couple of weeks out of one bag, spread across several trips.

— Rex

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I use my schnozzel just like Greg was describing.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Mine goes into a trash compactor bag sans stuff sack along with whatever clothes and electronics have to stay dry. Everything else is on top.

Ditching the bag- stuffing -into a- small -stuff -sack ritual is beyond words.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Try the Nylolfume… much lighter and far more pliable than trash compactors and plenty durable.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“What type of stuff sack do you use and is it waterproof?”

While not the lightest option, if you want to play with different sizes, Walmart has a 3-pack of dry bags by Outdoor Recreation Group for $9.97.  They are a decently light fabric and I’ve gone through and replaced all pre-2000s stuff sacks in my equipment closet with them.  They are lighter than older non-dry bag stuff sacks and yet have the fold-down-and-clip collars which is clearly more water resistant than draw-string stuff sacks.

Small 7.75 inches in width x 13 inches in height

Medium 9.5 inches in width x 15.5 inches in height

Large 10.75 inches in width x 22 inches in height

I wouldn’t leave anything submerged in water in these, but for a day in my pack in the rain or during a river crossing gone bad, I’ve had good luck with them.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

found some for 2 bucks a piece. thanks for the tip

Eric S
    BPL Member

@erics

My experience with a sleeping bag in a stuff sack and not leads me to conclude the no stuff/compression sack is more comfortable on my back and the pack is more efficiently loaded with other gear. I have a frameless pack. I just spent 6 days on the PCT and JMT, and I can attest that the no-stuff/compresson bag worked best for me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools