Topic

Packaging packs for air travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Packaging packs for air travel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

For those who have flown before with backpacks as checked baggage how did you set the pack up. Did you put it in a large duffel or wrap it in a large contractors trash bag with duct tape?  What worked for you?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Thanks Ken.
    We use two light green trash bags each and a roll of 2″ packaging tape for the two of us.
    More recently we have seen shrink-wrap machines inside international airports: they will wrap your luggage for you! They do a good job too.

Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I like using a duffle bag. But contractor-grade (3 mil) or, better yet asbestos material bags are good if you don’t have a place to store the duffle bag.

You can also just put it in a cardboard box. Airlines tend to be stricter on H + L + W limits for boxes than bags, so check those limits.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I take the Arc Blast as a carry on, because I think the frame suspension could get destroyed if not in a box. If it is just a backpacking trip, I just take the whole bag with contents onboard, it is usually small enough to be allowed. If it is a combined travel and backpacking trip and I have other items and it is too much to carry on, I put the contents in the checked suitcase and still carry the flattened backpack onboard. BTW I have never had an issue carrying on 3-section poles (there are other threads about that issue.)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

It is my understanding that the Airlines will replace any damaged contents of your checked luggage, but not the exterior luggage itself.  Given this I have taken two different approaches, both of which have worked well.

1. Bought a cheap hard-sided suitcase at a second hand store and loaded everything including the (empty) backpack.  You can carryon clothes and any bulky stuff if space is a problem.
    2. Loaded the fully packed backpack, along with boots/shoes and trekking poles into a duffle.  Lately I’ve used the REI pack duffel…it did very well on a trip to Panama.

I have not had any trouble with carbon fibre trekking pole damage using #2, so am pretty unconcerned about damage to my Arc Haul’s suspension, which is much more protected that the poles.

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

Thanks for the information. It gave  me some ideas.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Over the years I have seen luggage get severely butchered. One bag of mine looked like it had been spiked by a pick-ax. So my position is that even if there is only a .001 chance that my Arc Blast frame will be harmed, it is not worth it, because the chances are good that where I will be flying to and my trip schedule will not allow for an adequate repair. If I can easily avoid trouble at no penalty, why not.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools