Topic

Pack for a Man with a Tall Torso

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack for a Man with a Tall Torso

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I’m 6 feet tall, but have a tall torso. I’ve often found that packs aren’t quite tall enough for me. Making matters worse, I carry my pack low. Often my hip belt is closer to my waist. I just find that way more comfortable. The big problem is that load lifters aren’t really lifting the load, and too much of the weight sits on my shoulders.

Pack choice makes a difference, of course. Some packs have poor load lifters. Other packs are simply not tall enough. That is the situation now, with the Exped Lightning 60 I own. It has a good frame, and one of the reasons I bought it was because you could adjust the size. But even at the largest setting, I find it a bit too short. I’m looking for a similar pack, in the sense that I’m focused on load handling, while keeping the weight down. I just need a taller pack. Specifically, these are my priorities:

1. Tall enough that the load lifters work well.
    2. Good load handling. My base weight is pretty low, but I sometimes go on week long trips, which can increase how much I carry. A pack that is a bit heavier but carries really well is worth it.
    3. Good compression. I’ve found this is often as important as total weight.

To keep the weight down, I’m willing to do away with most bells and whistles. I usually don’t focus on the weight of the pack, but how they achieve that weight. If a pack has a lot of zippers and extra compartments, I’ll usually pass. Likewise, I’ve used frameless packs, and I’m too lazy to pack them properly (to create a good “frame”). If a pack maker is putting their weight into the frame, I’ll pay that “price” (in weight). In general I’m OK with a very simple, one compartment bag, with a few exceptions. I want the following as well:

1. I want an inner hydration sleeve. I never use the tube, but I do like to carry water next to my back (not on the side).
    2. Top compartment. I can get by without one, but it is really nice to have some of the gear up here. I also like it if there is a little loop for my keys.
    3. Hip belt pockets. This is not essential, but a nice feature. It adds weight, but in an area that really doesn’t matter. (My Exped has this, and I really find it handy.)
    4. Side pockets for carrying poles, stakes, etc. Almost all packs have these (usually for water bottles) but I can imagine a pack without them.

Some of these features could be added later, but it is nice if the pack comes with them. Of the packs that I’ve seen mentioned here the last few years, the Seek Outside packs look like a good match. I am very much interested in other suggestions as well, especially from people that are taller than me. I’m also willing to get more standard brand packs (the type you can get at REI). A lot of the bigger pack makers have shrunk their weight, reducing the difference between something you can get at REI and online. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

David E
    BPL Member

@denglish99

I suggest looking at the ULA Circuit. I’m 6’7” with a 23.5” torso. Their XL was nearly too big for me so I shifted to their L, which worked great (but I kept the XL hip belt so it would wrap around far enough). Great pack and great customer service.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Excellent idea. I’ve seen people with that pack, and forgot how good the frame/load lifters are.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

The tall packs from Zpacks are very tall, and fully adjustable. You won’t find a lighter pack with the same height and also being framed.

I have an Arc Haul and an Arc Blast from them, and I am a tall dude with back problems. With the lumbar pad added, I can carry up to 35lbs when doing a heavy water carry. The pack holds it, but the weak link is just my disabilities.

The Zpacks packs are also probably the most customizable and adjustable UL packs on the market. You can add all sorts of pockets and straps to them, stock.

My only beef with them is that Zpacks is terrible with seam taping their packs. It’s often needed to finish the taping job yourself for it to be waterproof. They really couldn’t care less judging from my experience with them. But that’s my only negative.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

A number of the usual made-to-order pack companies offer extra tall packs (usually the “XL” option length on their order menus).  More than one say go up if between sizes, but also if potentially carrying heavier consumables (water, food, etc..).

Read where the “danger” is if a too long/big hipbelt slips past the hips ..(iirc the ileac crest of the hips are where the weight should mostly rest).

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another vote for ULA Circuit or Catalyst.  I’m 6’5″ and have both (size XL).  Excellent packs.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

If you don’t mind a lead time, check out Atom Packs. They’re based in the UK, but do ship to the US. They do some custom work (although not as much as they use to) on their standard packs and I saw on their Instagram they made one for someone who was 6’9″ with a 27 inch torso. https://www.instagram.com/p/CQnmH_dFkhn/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Their standard packs don’t have a top compartment, but I’ve seen their packs with a zippered pocket above the carry handle, so might be something you can request to have added, along with a hydration sleeve.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Granite Gear Blze60 checks all the boxes.  The Long or Tall adjusts from 21-24” torso. It’s a little heavy though at 3 lbs 7 oz

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Elemental Horizons Kalais or the larger volume Aquillo.  They have everything you ask for but the hydration sleeve but that can be added in.  He has an add on top lid too.  Excellent long frames, good load lifters.  Great load hauler.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

As veteran hiker Tipi Walter advised me, “My only advice is—esp if you’re young—is to get a McHale now and save yourself a lifetime of pack confusion.”

Nick Gatel’s review says it all: https://popupbackpacker.com/mchale-backpacks-long-term-review-bump-32-and-little-big-pack-36/

And Nick’s comments and pictures here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/58848/page/2/#comments

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

ULA Catalyst or Circuit. I’m 5’10” but have a 22.5″ torso measurement. The L in either fit me well. 23.5″ I’d go to XL.

Would add, formerly the Catalyst “L” was just a “Medium” with the shoulder harness moved upward. Thankfully, as of this year, they are offering a true “L” in the Catalyst. My 2016 Catalyst had to be custom made as the “Large” at that time did not work for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools