Topic

Oregon Desert Trail ODT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Oregon Desert Trail ODT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

I wanted to do a shout out for this “new” trail. There is a good website, and the state of Oregon is doing quite a bit of promoting it. I wanted to point it out here, as I live at the end of the trail, (or beginning) and have had the joy of helping 3 thru hikers this year alone.

So in a nutshell, the trail goes from Bend Oregon, and makes a 700 mile loop thru the Oregon deserts, and ends up at the Owyhee Reservoir. This is one wicked cool route. I’ve done a few of the sections out my back door, and can’t wait to do more.

Anyone who is planning on the trail, be sure to get in touch, as the logistics aren’t that easy, and I will be glad to help.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Sorry, it’s a generational thing.  I see “Oregon Trail” and my mind goes to:

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

On my radar

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks for putting the offer out there Steve, much appreciated.

Tom D
    BPL Member

@nitebag

Add another to the list…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Very cool Steve, thanks for the tip!

Brandon
    BPL Member

@wanderinglight

Locale: Oregon

I just learned about this trail.

Looks like there are a few excellent videos up on YouTube documenting hiker’s experiences on the ODT:

1. Oregon Desert Trail (ODT) Thru-Hike: Episode 1

YouTube video

2. 800 miles on the Oregon Desert Trail (Sage Clegg, mentioned above)

YouTube video

3. Oregon Desert Trail 2015 with Huck Finn

YouTube video

I will be moving to Bend in May and would like to hike all or part of this trail in the near future.

Does anyone else have first-hand experiences to share about the ODT?

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

As I put out in the original post……

Get in touch, I would be happy to be a part of any adventures on this trail.  FYI, the season this year is short on water. I’ve been going out since end of March, and the trail is “on” now! It will be decidedly different the farther west you go.

The only “advice” I can offer as a local is that this is the real deal. Don’t underestimate it or quite frankly you will probably expire out there.  This is the epitome of a “route”.  There are no trails.  :)   OR PEOPLE!  :)

Brandon
    BPL Member

@wanderinglight

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing your experience and offering to help!

I previously spent some time hiking in the John Day area.  I found the terrain to be barren but strangely alive at the same time.  I was continually reminded of the presence of ancient fossils.

Since I just discover the ODT, my first step will be to research as much as I can.  I’ll probably do a few scouting trips and day and weekend hikes to get a better sense of the area.

Yes, it will certainly be important to heed your warnings about water and the lack of nearby services and people (mostly a positive, in my opinion) :)

One quick question: If hiking the whole route, would you recommend going from west to east or east to west?

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Seems like most of the hikers are going West to East.   But I have had one hiker start here on the eastern end. The desert here really opens up Feb-May, and by May its just plain HOT.  So it will depend on weather pattern and temps while comparing the west and east sides of the route.

No matter which way you go, you have to time it to get past the Steens. That seems to be the main roadblock.  Its snow covered while the desert is scorching lol.  Also, seems to be a better choice to use some of the alternates, as some sections are downright wicked difficult in the smaller canyons.

Brandon
    BPL Member

@wanderinglight

Yes, the west to east route seems like the more popular choice based on the above videos and other resources online. In her video, Sage mentioned that the hardest part was at the end (near the eastern end of the route).

Another aspect that was evident from the videos was the almost complete absence of other people.  The ODT seems like what parts of southern Utah might have been like 100 years ago.  That aspect is immensely appealing to me, but it obviously also entails some clear danger if unprepared.

I agree that “letting the weather dictate” the choice of when/where to start seems wise.

When I get to Bend, I will do a few day hikes and weekend trips on the western part of the route.  That should give me a sense of the terrain and impact of the heat/lack of water availability.

Looking forward to getting out in the desert soon!

*Steve, if I end up planning a longer trip, I will send you a message and can perhaps bounce some ideas back and forth!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools