Topic

Options for L/s Mens shirts for hiking and traveling in hot & humid areas.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Options for L/s Mens shirts for hiking and traveling in hot & humid areas.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

Can anyone recommend any of the above. I have tried a few including the MHW Cayon shirt but they all have poor air permability.My Patagonia Steerman A/c shirt has great Cfm but its all cotton so mainly used for travel.Has anyone had any expience with Polartec Delta fabric, Thanks.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

I use Columbia wicking shirts both short and long sleeve. They work well even for hiking when raining but warm.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Assuming you don’t need bug protection, I wholeheartedly recommend the OR Echo line.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 OR Echo. Always comfortable.

Brad W
    Spectator

@blw2

I picked up a Columbia Silver Ridge shirt.  Has a sunscreen rating I believe.  Decent ventilation on the back but it gets closed by the pack.  Even without the pack I find it a bit warm.  Blocks too much air

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

Yes they do get warm when blocked but the good thing is they wick so well it’s not a big deal. I’m

onw Of those strange folks that don’t mind sweating as long as I am moving.

Norman N
    Spectator

@traillotus

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

The OR Echo/ Pata LW class of shirts (sub 90g/m^2) are a great choice as recommended by others.

That said I also have good experiences with using an Alpine Start or Airshed sans baselayer. It wicks as well, it breathes as well, it isn’t quite as fitted and thus allows for better airflow, and it also gives me the option for full zip, hood, and mosquito protection.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I like my 100% nylon Columbia shirt, I think it was marketed as a fishing shirt.  There’s enough air blown into the nylon fibers that they’re soft and fuzzy – not slick.  Also, nylon is a lot stronger than other fibers so it does well in the brush.

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

https://www.railriders.com/men-adventure-top-p-1032.html?cPath=104_137

Railriders Adventure Shirt, it has mesh venting that runs from the cuff to the hem along the underarm, as well as under the cape vent in the back. I’ve worn it paddling in the swamps of Alabama and Florida and have been pleased with it.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

My favorite so far for hot and humid is Ex-Officio Give-N-Go shirt. My only con is that the fabric frays too quickly in my opinion.

https://www.exofficio.com/give-n-go-v/1242-2681.html?dwvar_1242-2681_size=000006L&dwvar_1242-2681_color=1000&cgid=#q=give-n-go&lang=en_US&start=1

I know you want long sleeve, so not sure if this would work for you. In the picture, the fabric seems different also, since my shirt has a “waffle” pattern and this one doesn’t seem to. https://www.exofficio.com/give-n-go-performance-base-layer-crew/1244-2970.html?dwvar_1244-2970_size=000003S&dwvar_1244-2970_color=9420&cgid=#q=give-n-go&lang=en_US&start=1

During the holidays I purchased this shirt from Duluth Trading Post, and I am very happy as it seems like it will have similar performance to the ExOfficio with better durability. But of course, it’s untested, so  I can’t really recommend it.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-armachillo-cooling-v-neck-undershirt-94256.html?dwvar_94256_color=BLK#q=armachillo&prefn1=gender&srule=price-low-to-high&prefv1=Men&selectedRef=gender&start=16

At the moment they don’t seem to have an equivalent long sleeve shirt. By that, I mean one that is mostly nylon, as I find it much cooler than polyester in the sun–personal impression.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Columbia Offshore Low Drag in Long or Short Sleeve.  The LS in White, Insect Shield treated, is my favorite (and only) hiking shirt…I have 3

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Ew, why would you wear long sleeves?

Funny topic, cuz just last week I did a 2 day hike through Corcovado (Costa Rica rainforest) at the tail end of 10 days in the country. I bought lots of new shit for the trip.

It’s hot and humid, and I only wore long pants for the tick protection. I never hike in long pants unless I’m pushing through thick brush, but I bought the REI Sahara Convertible pants and treated them with permethrin. I didn’t dare wear long sleeves. Then again, only a few hours were on the beach in the sun. My guide who hikes there all the time wore face protection on the beach, but still had short sleeves.

I bought a Western Rise long sleeve snap up shirt for the trip, looks nice enough for the evenings but is super lightweight and not cotton. I thought it might be useful in Corcovado, but all I used it for was sitting around the ranger station drinking whiskey. Hiked in my trusty cheap-ass polyester. But if I wanted to torture myself by wearing long sleeves it would have worked.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools