Topic

Opinions on waist packs for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Opinions on waist packs for backpacking

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Seems like the latest thru-hiking fad is wearing a front-facing waist pack (or fanny pack) with your backpack. Fans claim it’s handy storage, doesn’t get in the way, and it’s also useful when you’ve dumped your big pack for short side hikes or during town visits. At the expense of a few ounces.

Having seen gear hype waves come and go – I remain skeptical.

Do you use a waist pack while backpacking? Why? What features are important, like size, or fabric, or number of pocketses, or buckles, or zippers/no zippers? What do you carry inside?

Did you try a waist pack while backpacking and give up? Why?

Thanks.

— Rex

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It’s not wrong and if you wanted lots of stuff at the ready (maybe someone who heated and cooled down a lot?), a fanny pack gives you that.  I’ve used one like that, but it weaves in and around my pack’s waist belt so it’s more of a hassle to take your pack off, take a pee, etc.

If your pack has a hip belt, I’d suggest some combo of pouchs on your hip belt and/or shoulder straps instead.  A fanny pack can carry your chapstick and Steripen and a small water bottle for a side trip, but not much in the way of an extra layer which is what might really save your life if a peak-bagging side trip goes sideways.

I’ve long been a fan of a 2.5-ounce sil-nylon structureless day packs.  Travel packs that roll up to lemon-size.  $40-ish for the name-brand ones, $8-$13 if you hunt around on eBay.  Plenty of room for a puffy, a shell, lunch, water, etc for a side trip.  And if, after a re-supply, you’ve got too much volume, throw fluffy things in it and wear it on your chest for the first day.  Or put the fluffy stuff on the back of the 5-year-old.  They’ll feel like they’re really backpacking, only carry 2-3 pounds of stuff plus 2-3 ounces of the pack and you needed to find a place for that bulky stuff somwhere.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Another part of the idea is having a small pack around for town when the main pack is locked up somewhere (and not trusting running shorts as a wallet could fall out).  Then there’s other things that can fit in there, like a lighter, etc.  Maybe a box opening multitool (not supposed to use knives on cardboard).  I’ll usually keep it as a “third” hipbelt pouch.

So the zippers have to be top notch, … I’ve just gone with s Patagonia brand.  If the zippers start to go I can ship it for repair service.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’ve got one that I wear as a chest pouch while hiking and keep in it my phone, reading glasses, sunblock, lip balm etc. Wear it as a waist/fanny pack in town.

Amber
    BPL Member

@amberg

I always thought they were kind of dorky looking, but once I tried hiking with one, I’ll probably never go backpacking without one again. My pack has hip belt pockets, but when I had my plus sized iPhone, I had a hard time quickly getting it in or out of them. As long as the fanny/waist pack has 1 or 2 pockets, that’s all I need. I made mine, and it ended up a bit larger than I expected, so I usually keep these things in it: phone, charger, battery pack, headlamp, 1st aid ziplock, daily meds, a small zip pouch w/ my ID, CC, and cash, lip balm, sunscreen, and a couple of snacks. It keeps me from having to stop and take off my pack more than necessary, and when I’m in camp, it’s like having a little mini-pack with me at all times. I usually hammock, also, so it’s nice having a place for all of those little things, since I can’t spread my stuff out all around me like I do in a tent. I just have to keep the strap a little lower around my hips so it’s not in the way or uncomfortable with my pack’s hip belt.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Waist packs are for dayhikes… used mine today on a winter walk. Circa 1998 Osprey Flash.

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’m pro chest pack, I’ve tried fanny packs (many years ago) and more recently a Z-Packs FUPA but much prefer a chest pack.  For that I use a Z-packs Multi-pack rigged to shoulder straps and bottom of pack.  Although I have 4 attachment points I’ve found 3 are fine leaving one of the bottom ones detached.  The upper part replaced my chest strap.  2 straps remain affixed to pack so putting on pack only involves 1 clip.  I have this setup on 2 packs so I can switch as needed.

The primary function is to be a feed bag  keeping all my daily snacks, etc.  Also keep sunscreen, lip balm, anti-chafe cream, and meds.  I would say, at most, the bag is never more than 1/2 full making it easy to rifle through everything.  Also keep it fairly light and is barely noticeable when wearing. No more contorting and pulling muscles trying to get into overstuffed hip belt pockets.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The best thing about a fanny pack is that if you put your pack down you’ve got the stuff in your fanny pack with you. If that stuff is your phone/camera, money (and you’re a thru-hiker on a town stop), lip balm, hand sanitizer, pocket knife or other handy stuff, you won’t end up many feet away from those items if you might have kept them in the hip belt pockets before.

I like to just put that kind of stuff in my pockets.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Been using one for decades.
    I use it to keep all the “Essentials” in one place and I usually wear in in the belly pack position. Been heavily modified over the years and I can fit extra pockets to the hip belt or a water bottle parka for side trips.
    Made by LoweAS and worth the extra weight because of the convenience it allows. I have tried a chest pack and I prefer the belly pack.
    I may change for Aarn Expedition size chest pockets if I can modify my hipbelt to take them tho

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

A small fanny pack (REI coop Trail 2) and water bottle holsters hold my ID, day snacks, and water bottles for me. I chose not to put belt pockets on my pack, as they are not as flexible as a separate fanny  pack. I don’t like how the curve of the sides make belt  pockets harder to get into. The fanny pack is big enough for my ID/wallet, phone, and snacks I’ll use while hiking, and I can choose to take it places while leaving my pack at camp. It is not big enough to do a long day hike or carry emergency equipment, but it could carry an emergency poncho and first aid if I needed it to. Weighs 4.3oz according to the website. It has 2 compartments, one skinny one I can fit my phone in for snapping quick pics, and the main pocket, which has a little divider in as well as a mitten hook for keeping keys from falling out. Probably holds about 4-5 snickers bars if I need it to, but usually I stop for lunch, so I just restock the pack then while my pack and food kit are out.

Crystal G
    BPL Member

@cee-gee

I just finished making one about a month ago (well, I still need to add an outside mesh pocket – yes, I am doing this out of order) and have been using it on long day hikes along with my MLD Burn.  I was skeptical too, but I love it!  I don’t like hip belt pockets too well because if they are large enough to hold my phone and eyeglasses (I don’t wear them when I hike, but need them to use my phone) then I find they get in my way.  I made sure the bucket was right at the front (next to the pouch) and it does not interfere with my Burn waistbelt at all because it hangs a bit lower.  I put a mitten hook inside to attach my car key.  It can hold my phone, glasses, chapstick, ID, maybe a bar (or more likely a snickers).  Before I usually carried my phone in my pants pocket and my glasses in a zip pouch I hung from my shoulder strap, but I could never get to my phone as fast as I wanted when I wanted to take a picture, etc.    I hope the mesh pocket I make will work to hold my phone on the outside for even easier access, and I am even considering trying to make a V.2 with a roll top to make it even more water resistant and easier to access (I changed the zip pull on one side to be easier with gloves, but it still isn’t that easy).

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I love mine.  Always carry one. I don’t use hip belts on any of my packs…and the fanny pack stays on me, out of the way, front, side or behind.. wherever it is comfortable.  Even when i drop my pack off my back, i still have access to items in the hip pack.. headlamp, lighter,  phone, small knife, fire starter.. whatever is in there,  i dont have to go back to my hammock or tent or wherever to dig in my pack..

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I use one as a belly pack too. I carry my steripen, map and lunch inside. and sun screen/bug dope. Then,if I take a day trip while backpacking I have this for carrying my empty water bottle, steripen and lunch. No need to carry a daypack.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I never thought of a roll top fanny pack. New project added to list.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Roll top makes sense if water resistance is high on the list.
    Double compartment? Roll top for the emergency stuff that must stay dry or is used infrequently and a zipper for other stuff?
    I’ve seen roll top dry bags for first aid kits and kayakers/ canoeists/snorkelers safe stores but not anything big enough or quite the right shape for a belly bag

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I have an MLD fanny pack in transit. As @dirtbaghiker described, it’s a great place to keep the essentials, snacks etc so you have access even when you step away from the pack and don’t have to cram stuff in your pants pockets.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m doing overnights about once a week and hiking and mountain biking in between. I’ve been thinking a lot about adopting the waist pack so that my essentials are always ready to go. Tired of always switching pockets, tired of near-duplicate essentials kits that end up spread out in different bags. I’m thinking headlamp, FAK, knife, firestarting, and toiletries will stay in one place from now on. I want to sew something minimal (I’d likely use light Xpac) with an eye on a design that allows me to wear it comfortably with or without a hipbelt from another pack on.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Craig I have tried fanny packs with survival kits, cameras and a few other things. I’d say they are nice if smaller. To bulky and you are better of with a chest rig. I don’t use them a ton because the same stuff usually fits in cargo pockets. You can carry a bit more in the fanny pack but not a lot more before its annoying. But for your needs it sounds good.

I noticed hunters and wildlife watchers were switching to chest rigs for their binoculars years ago. I ended up having to carry a .44 Magnum for work (long story). Anyway I found a chest rig was way more comfortable then anything on a hip belt and it worked well with a pack too. This is an area where subtle differences in design can make a big difference in comfort. If you go the MYOG route I’d study commercial chest rigs first. My holster was adjustable in several directions and it held the rigg tight to my chest so it wasn’t bouncing. Also the weight was over my sternum not my gut. That helps.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yeah, I use a Vortex chest pack for my binoculars when hunting or birdwatching, they work well. If I go the fanny pack route, it would definitely be slim and small. All of the gear I mention is pretty compact and light. 3oz headlamp, 1oz knife, 2oz fire kit, 4oz first aid, 4oz toiletries…

Andre M
    Spectator

@bodybuilderandre

I wear a small custom VX fabric chest pack for essentials that i want to keep with me (basic survival and phone). Really nice weight distribution and convenience. Much superior to my experience with fanny packs (no readjusting and no interference with backpack’s hip belt.)

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I’m a convert. I have removed my hip belt pockets in favor of a waist pack. I use a 1 L High Tail Designs. I would like a 1.5 L, but it’s probably for the best that I don’t have as much room, it keeps me from squirreling away more than I need at my fingertips.  I found that the lack of hipbelt pockets made for more comfort when using trekking poles, I didn’t have to worry about banging into the pockets.

I tried a Thrupack Summit Bum 2.5 L, and found it to ride saggy and jouncy. The High Tail has supportive “wings” on the belt that holds it flat. The Summit Bum has an exchangeable belt that slides through a tube on the back. The tube is attached to an outer pocket that is great for stashing a cell phone or snack bars, but causes the pouch to sag away from the wearer. The 2.5 L size creates weight and bulk, and invites you to cram more stuff than you really need. The High Tail is lighter, with a thin hipbelt that feels stiff, but becomes unnoticeable under the hipbelt, and doesn’t collapse and roll when sweaty.  It also comes in pretty watercolor painting designs, which is a nice touch compared to all the utilitarian designs. Admittedly,  I’ve been eyeballing the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Versa, which has approximately 2L capacity with a stable belt configuration, but the discipline of restraining myself to what I actually will use during the day is still good.

The other place I think waist packs are good is that if you are crossing a river, with your hipbelt unclipped, if something goes completely south, you could have at least some firestarter  on your person when your backpack and shelter is floating away. A small waist pack isn’t going to be a floatation risk.

Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy

I couldn’t stand the hip pockets on my pack–the constant brushing of them with my arms as I walked was an annoyance.  I also don’t like pouches on my shoulder straps or stuffing my pants pockets full of stuff, so the fanny pack is what works for me.  I use the Thrupack Summit Bum-Slim threaded through my hip belt.  This one doesn’t sag, or stick out too far or obscure my view of my footing.  I have to be selective what I keep in it due to the 1L capacity, but the padded back pocket is great for the phone, and the front pocket holds the snacks and other items that keep me hiking rather than stopping to dig through my pack.  I keep my Summit Bum-Slim attached to my hip belt for ease of taking my pack on and off, but I also carry a 1″ nylon belt if I plan to carry the fanny pack solo (the belt doubles for use with my poncho as well). As others have mentioned, the benefits for in town, short hikes from camp, and water crossings make a fanny pack an invaluable piece of gear.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

IMHO, waist packs should be small and work best if you aren’t wearing a hip belt. They become weight inefficient quickly if too complex.

I got a simple little x-pac pocket that slides onto my sternum strap and the loops on the back allow wearing it on my belt. It can just be a ditty bag in my pack too. Etsy is a great source for small zippered bags like that.

Scott G
    Spectator

@rider

I think the waist bag is excellent – when hiking solo it stays with me all the time. It contains essentials -first aid kit, snake bite bandage (I’m in Aus), PLB.

I’ve been a yard from a tiger snake going to the toilet, and know of an ankle fracture in a hiker getting water from the creek near camp – where the back pack was!!

well worth the $10 from decathlon sports

For convenience it holds sunscreen, lip balm and phone ( sometimes).

I hangs loosely around my neck in hot sweaty weather with a mini-carabiner to the pack to stop swaying.

So I vote yes for the added safety and convenience – I might make a slightly bigger one too

Sloan
    Spectator

@gingersnap

I use a high tail designs UL fanny pack that only weighs 2 ounces. I have used it for over 3000 miles on trail including an AT thru hike and I likely won’t ever hike without it. Now I use it for biking and trail running as well. It is highly water resistant (a must) has a small flat internal pocket that I use for a wallet, the main pocket holds phone, maps/guidebook, light, headphones, chapstick, knife and in the winter I started wearing it to bed with my water filter and breakfast in it to prevent them freezing.

I do wish it had an external mesh pocket though for quicker access items

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools