Topic

OnShape: new free CAD system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear OnShape: new free CAD system

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Hi folks

Just a heads-up on a new free CAD system that might appeal to more geeky MYOGearers.

I’m starting a couple of new projects so thought I would teach myself 3D CAD for visualisation. I saw that most people here use SketchUp so gave it a try, but as a software geek I found it a bit unstructured. In particular I found it difficult to alter a complex drawing – it often seemed easier to start again.

I noted that Roger Caffin uses a more conventional parametric 2D system, so I went looking for a free 3D equivalent. I’ve settled on OnShape as I found it the most intuitive: https://www.onshape.com. (But you could also check out DesignSpark Mechanical, or AutoDesk Fusion 360 if you want to integrate solid modelling with freeform mesh modelling.)

OnShape is a full-scale professional 3D CAD system. You sketch your shapes on a flat plane, define them with dimension and constraint parameters so the system knows how to handle them as you edit, and then extrude, rotate, loft etc to extend your shape into 3D. You can create parts and assemble them in flexible ways. When you’re done, you can generate engineering drawings to work from. There’s a full history tree, so you can go back to any point and change any of your parameters and your design should automatically adapt itself. It also has branching version management, so you can, for example, bookmark your Mark1 version before making a branch for your Mark2, or your solo version before your two-person version. There are a few high-end features still missing, but it’s probably more than enough for any MYOG project and they are adding features at a startling rate. There is also a community building around it with lots of add-ons, including photo-realistic rendering if you want to get ambitious.

There are excellent instructional videos from the company and the community and the interface is clean and logical. Despite being much more powerful than SketchUp, I’ve found it easier to learn because it’s so logical and consistent. For our type of project you need to focus on mastering 2D sketching, planes and lofting, I think. I was able to produce useful work after just a few hours of playing about. In contrast to SketchUp I feel that I’m learning mainstream CAD skills I could transfer to other platforms.

Hobbyists get access to the full, uncrippled system for free. You get a few private projects and open-ended public projects.

It’s a cloud service, which means you have to be online to edit. The advantage is that you don’t have to install and update complex software and can collaborate with others on your designs, even in real-time. It’s surprisingly responsive for such complex in-browser software.

This is a serious project with around $180 million of funding and a management team of industry veterans, so I don’t think it will be going away any time soon. And you’re not locked in, as it offers industry-standard export formats.

Hope somebody finds this useful!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Many thanks Geoff, I downloaded the iOS version on my iPad, registered, and can now use it as well on my iMac thru the browser.

Do you also happen to know of any great MacOS replacements for the venerable and dearly missed Freehand (RIP) ?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I have used OnShape and found it to be a great tool.  As a cloud based CAD system ( and free), it is pretty impressive.  For more 2D stuff there is DoubleCAD, but it is pretty old.

my 2 cents

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

I have played with OnShape as well. I am a CAD noob but found it fairly intuitive and versatile. Now I just need a CNC and 3D printer.

Greg

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Robert

I’m an ex Freehand user myself, and like you I miss it. I don’t have a Mac, but these days I use the Open Source app Inkscape. The 0.91 release was a big step in the right direction – it seems much more stable and many of the missing features have been added. It seems that a lot of pros who object to Adobe’s new subscription licensing are switching, so you might find it meets your needs:

https://inkscape.org/en/

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Many thanks, Geoff,

I’ll check it out.

P.S. I started with Freehand v.3, and owned almost all versions until Adobe buried it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools