Topic

Ocelot DIY HX kit – Fire Maple 300t & Sterno Inferno Mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Ocelot DIY HX kit – Fire Maple 300t & Sterno Inferno Mug

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

We released information on how to create your own Stove/HX system.  Using a Fire Maple 300t with an Inferno HX mug as a base, you can make a plate that will allow you to efficiently couple these components together.  Initial fuel efficiency looks very good (2 cups 70 F water boiled using ~4 grams of isobutane) and the wind resistance looks very promising.  You can put a kit together that will cost less than 2/3 the amount of a JetBoil Stash and have better fuel efficiency (and weigh less).  Additionally, the Sterno Inferno Kit can be used with alcohol stoves as well.

For those of you without the tools and ability to manufacture the plate, we decided to offer the plate on our website.  Additionally, we have also created a Backpackinglight special version of this burner plate.  For $25 (free shipping), you will be sent a bare bones burner plate.  You will need to smooth all of the edges (file / steel wool) and bend up three tabs.  And, if you send us detailed feedback on your opinion of this system, you will receive a $5 rebate as well.  To purchase this burner plate, click on the hyperlink and scroll to the bottom of the page:  Backpackinglight Special.  For now, this offer is only valid to addresses in the United States.  This offer will be valid at least until the end of March 2021.

The plate is made of 304 Stainless Steel – 0.02″ thick

The edges will be rough and will need to be files/sanded smooth

3 tabs will need to be bent up

The assembly can fit and be protected by the Inferno Mug.  Other HX pots may work as well.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

We just completed additional testing on our High Efficiency DIY HX Mug Kit.  The test was altered to better match Metric units.  All test runs consisted of 500 ml (2 cups -473 ml) of 20 C water (70 F. 21.1 C).  Additionally, all test were conducted at sea level.  We ran the test 10 times and compiled the data.  My scale has a 1 g resolution so multiple test were required to gain bulk resolution.  The fuel consumption was 5 grams and the efficiency was 76%. That efficiency would boil 2 cups of 70 F water at 1500′ (where I live) using 4.5 grams of fuel.

Additionally, we captured some IR Thermal Data for various sections of the HX mug.  The temperature seem well under control.

Lower HX Body

HX Fins

HX Body

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Jon,

Do you have the weight of the stove/plate combo-both versions?

Thanks,

Chris

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

The production burner plate weighs 21 grams.  I am not sure of the stove itself, but the combo of the stove, plate, Inferno and Imusa replacement lid weigh 188 grams / 6.6 oz.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have the Fire Maple stove and also its clone, the original BRS 3000T (the one that doesn’t melt).  Is there any reason why the latter couldn’t be used?  I’ve heard that it’s a fuel hog, so I guess that would be a good enough reason if true.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I have no idea about Fire Maple clones so I can’t say.  They would have to be identical to work.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I received your DIY kit and finally got around to putting it together.  It was a bit wobbly at first because for some reason the top nut wouldn’t snug up tight against the plate…I couldn’t detect a bit of spru from the spot welding, so don’t know what was going on.To resolve it I added a thin brass washer I had sitting around that was the same exact dimensions as the spacer you spot welded to the base plate.  Wobble gone!

Running it, I found that it would boil 500 ml H2O in 6 minutes using less that 4 g fuel.  5 g fuel will yield a 5 minute boil…on par with my Jetboil Sol Ti.  However, the Jetboil using a BRS is still lighter at 5.5 oz compared to the 5.9 oz for the Inferno (using an DIY alu pie pan lid, 3 g).

The price point is what excites me: I think I paid $24 for the inferno a while back, $18 for the Firemaple, and $25 for your kit.  Pretty astounding for a stove this light and efficient, not to mention head and shoulders above the Stash as far as wind resistance goes!  And one really can’t compare to the Sol Ti because it’s been long out of production and no longer available, so this setup using an Inferno/Firemaple is the lightest canister stove I know of!  Good Job!

A word of advice to those who may be in the market to purchase the Firemaple FMS 300T: it’s around $20 at Ali Express and $90 on Amazon (yikes !).  Also, the BRS doesn’t disassemble at all, so it can’t be used.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Also, the BRS doesn’t disassemble at all, so it can’t be used.
    Oh?
    Mine do.
    Use a rod through the air holes.

Cheers

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Jon fong is a legend and a rockstar … thanks for this info

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

We are cleaning up our manufacturing of the Ocelot and expect to release a new revision soon.  The newest version will be made of thicker aluminum plate (0.0625″) and will be compatible with the Sterno Inferno, Fire Maple 1 liter HX pot as well as the JetBoil Stash.

We just got back from Escalante, UT and I was able to do some wind testing in the field (no fuel measurements).  We were able to boil 500 ml in a little over 4 minutes: the wind was blowing about 15 mph with gust up to 25.  One gust blew the stove out but it was easy to re-light.  I am working on a partial windscreen for use in serious winds.

YouTube video

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools