Topic

Nunatak Bears Ears 50 – White Insulating Paint for the Bear Canister?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nunatak Bears Ears 50 – White Insulating Paint for the Bear Canister?

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

David, you purchased your Bear Ears several years ago.  Today, would you select the same model or one of the variations and why?  Thanks

Fredrick B
    BPL Member

@fwbirt

@nate I began using a Bear Ears last year for Yosemite backcountry (sounds like a dream now). I love the weight distribution, and, of course, how easy the bear can removes and attaches (used a BV500). I carried about 25 pounds. At those elevations, I didn’t find I needed reflective tape or paint, but I also put the “melty” items, like cocoa butter, toward the center and prepackaged foods, like Mountain House meals toward the outside.

Nate F.
    BPL Member

@light-weightn8-2

@fredrick, thanks for the feedback, seems like a perfect design for areas requiring a can. What model are you using? Good to know that how you packaged things affected the “melty” items, guess. I’d primarily be using it in the sierras so I guess the heat shouldn’t be too much of a concern. Late season this year, can’t wait!

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

I suppose it depends on what kind of bears you encounter. I live in the Sierras and have had many encounters with black bears and every time they have run from me. My experience is they are more afraid of us than we are of them. Those are just Sierra black bears though, I have no experience with griz.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I bought mine almost exactly 2 years ago. Medium torso & belt size, sternum strap, two water bottle holders on belt. Not aware of different models so I will have to check when I return from Indonesia in a week.

A minimalist approach to heat resistance would be to paint the can with one of the new “hyper white” paints that bounce 97%+ of sunlight. Max would be that paint on Reflectix to defeat both sunlight and ambient air temps.

Unparalleled ease of access is a beautiful thing.

Carrying food outside the can in grizzly territory is a death wish unless you carry it in your hands, so you can easily toss it to the bear while you retreat.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Heat Reflective Coatings:

https://professional.nipponpaint.com.my/professional-coatings/heat-reflectant-solution

just the first one that came up when I googled… probably others…

New technology that can actually reduce the temp of roofs in the sun!!!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Awesome isn’t it?

I’ve also wondered about something like that for the inside of a stove windscreen.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I can’t help thinking that the reflectivity of aluminium might be better than white paint.

Cheers

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

There are ‘aluminized’ reflective coatings that are used on commercial roofs…

Fredrick B
    BPL Member

@fwbirt

@nate This was the 50 from last spring (2022). Before they developed (or are developing) the expandable bottom that will accommodate other pack items when you’re not hauling your canister.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools