Topic

Not exactly hammock camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Not exactly hammock camping

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

but how about hammocking at work!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ooh the executive suite.

Anywhere you can hang is fair game.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

In the mezzanine between Concourse B and C in the Anchorage International Airport:

I often have a NeoAir in my carry-on for layovers, but this guy took it to another level.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My cat likes hammocks too.

He is nearly 16 but I only told him last night he was adopted.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Haha nice! I feel like that’s a lot of underquilt for sleeping inside??

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Lol. It’s a 40 degree. This shop gets cold in winter over night. 6 pm I shut all fans down.. So only heat in shop is small baseboard and a ceiling steam heater.. And so I also shut both of them down!! It does get chilly in here, lol. I also use the quilt when I set up outside on the setback or roof.. But then I have to lug my pipe stand out there..

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Makes sense! Gotta get your hanging fix where you can :)

i was just in Tucson for a week at my in-laws for a wedding. The bedroom my wife and I stay in only has a double bed and we know from past trips that we don’t sleep too well in it… she was like “if u bring your new hammock, you can sleep outside so we won’t be as squished”

done and done :) slept out here 6 of 7 nights we were there! Loved every minute of it

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

You married the right woman!  Encouraging you to take your hammock on a trip to see family?  My in-laws live in the woods about 45 minutes north of Manhattan.  If I ever suggested that I could take my hammock (there are plenty of trees) I’d be shunned for being anti-social!

One question – I see an underquilt AND a Z-Lite Sol in the photo – do you use both?  I tried a pad when I first started hammocking (I even bought a Speer Segmented Pad Extender (SPE)) but it wasn’t ever great.  Then I tried an underquilt and never went back.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Haha yea she’s pretty nice :) I def had to be around while people were awake of course. But once everybody was asleep, she didn’t care.

at the moment, I’m building my hammock kit so don’t necessarily have the exact items I’ll use long term. That UQ is 3/4 length so I had the pad for my feet. It’s actually a 20F quilt. My current plan is the 20F quilt w/ to he pad for ~30-50F. Then just the pad for 50-70F. And no pad above that. I don’t think I love the pad, but I tend to want something to sit on while taking breaks hiking or in camp anyway so will basically always have it. Thus it’s the best UL option from a multi-use gear perspective.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

sometimes when I stay overnight at work I like to sleep outside too.. I did not go up to the roof, 50 floor, next time I will.. But here is from the 11 floor setback.. Nice night and almost a full moon

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Dirtbag, those photos are amazing!  Was it noisy, or were you above all of that?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Little noisy.. But settled down later in night.. Or I was just sleeping so snug!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools