Topic

northville placid trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    edward k
    BPL Member

@ed6eliza

need info for section hiking NPT.

Michelle B
    BPL Member

@mbracht

It has been a while but I thru hiked it. What is your question?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Edward, I do that trail at least once a year. Then section hike the Cold River, Western High Peaks area with day trips out to many peaks on the 46 list.
    http://www.nptrail.org/
    On facebook as “Northville Placid Trail”

There are no loops. Basically it is a thru-hike between Lake Placid and Northville. The remotest spots in the ADK’s is along the trail (Cold River: Seward/Ouluska)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

edward k
    BPL Member

@ed6eliza

I know there aren’t loops but I know there are section parking lots. what I want to know is the severity of the ups and downs along the trail. I am 79 and estimate  about 1-2 mph as max speed even with a light pack. I have the latest adk book on the trail but the new section from Northville to Benson is not shown. the only non sectional as I see it is from long lake to placid. any thing you can help me with is greatly appreciated.

edward k
    BPL Member

@ed6eliza

thanks for the reply. I need to know how steep the trail gets and if there are any really difficult sections. any help anyone has is appreciated

Michelle B
    BPL Member

@mbracht

It depends what you are used to but I wouldn’t consider it particularly steep. The trail was intended originally as a Wagon Train Supply Route so they have picked the easiest Trail possible. I went during late June years ago but it is almost always going to be muddy at that time. If you go closer to August you will have better luck with dry feet. The worst part of the trail to me were the Swarms of noseeums, little black flies and worst of all the deer flies. We had some pretty heavy duty bug spray but we saw a guy with terribly infected legs from scratching at bites.

Have fun, it is a beautiful Trail. If there are other questions specifically that you have feel free to ask.

Michelle B
    BPL Member

@mbracht

Well, I replied before I read your original post that you are 79 years old. Congratulations on still being out there hiking. There are some sections that may be a bit challenging but if you are in shape and pretty healthy I still think you will be able to do it if you don’t rush. Good luck!

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I through hiked it last October.  No significant ups and downs, elevation gains/losses are easy to manage.  On the first section the no bridge West Stony Creek crossing can be dicey during early season snow melt or after a significant rain.  And the no bridge Cold River crossing likewise.  Otherwise this is a pretty tame hike either through hiked or section by section.

edward k
    BPL Member

@ed6eliza

hi! thanks for the input. I suspected that was the condition of the trail. from what I have read the new section from Northville to benson could be the most challenging. thanks again. if I go I will post how I made out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools