Topic

North Lake/Piute Pass long weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning North Lake/Piute Pass long weekend

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve got a permit and time off work to spend three nights in the Sierra in late July with my son. I’m kind of thinking that we should go over the pass and then dork around in Humphrey’s Basin and then down Carol Col to French Canyon then returning back on trail through Puite Canyon over Piute Pass back to the car.

A couple Qs:

1. I haven’t measured carefully but that looks like maybe 25-30 miles. Any thoughts on how best to add another ten miles to my proposed route?
    2. Any predictions on what Piute Pass and Humphrey’s basin will be like in the third week of July this year? Mosquito hell? Lots of snow in the basin still making off-trail travel difficult?

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Not real familiar with the Sierras, but you could add some miles by going North from Humphrey’s Basin into French Basin (Steelhead Lake, French Lake area) or further into Granite Park (Honeymoon Lake, Royce Lake area). For snow, the following website shows 258% of normal snowfall for that area, so Late July may look like early June’s snowpack this year. How many folks have seen a 250% Sierra snowpack and know what to expect?

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hey Lester. Thanks for your suggestions in French Basin and Granite Park. That gives me something to research.

I don’t think we are at a 250% snowpack. My understanding is that the bottom graph on this page roughly corresponds to the drainages along the JMT and my trip is pretty much in the middle of that. We peaked out around 165% this year which is quite a bit more than my 2015 JMT which peaked at 18%? I’m really looking forward to seeing the Sierra with some snow this year although I don’t know what to expect.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Matt,

Here’s a trip Fran and I did last year that sounds like it might work for you.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks, Nick! That looks like a great trip. Cute pup, too!

Any thoughts on what that area will look like in late July this year?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Mathew, if the snow proves to be problematic this year, you might consider looking at the trails out of Twin Lakes (Bridgeport). Crown lake to the Matterhorn area is spectacular and lower in elevation than the North lake route. Or, you could go to Peeler lake and off trail down the canyon that’s one over from Kerrick meadows and then loop back to Twin Lakes via another low ‘pass’ who’s name I forget. You can also off trail back to Twin Lakes from Burro (or is it Mule?) pass, but I’ve heard that it’s a bit steep and tricky. Too bad you don’t have more time because the Benson Lake loop is well worth hiking and stays below 10,500 feet the whole way. that’s why it’s been a favorite June hike for me in the past.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Jeffrey, Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t know anything about that area and I’m knee deep reading trip reports and looking at maps. :)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I think your trip to French Canyon sounds great–perfect! I’ve always wanted to do that. It’s just, I’m impressed with this year’s snow pack. Come late July, who knows? Hopefully the passes will be clear. The best thing is that you won’t have any nasty river crossings on your route.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Mosquito hell – very likely. I would pack headnets, plenty of bug juice and hope for a good strong breeze. I would expect snow patches but not expect it to be an issue except possibly going over Carol Col (or Puppet Pass or any of the saddles over that ridge). I would not worry abut adding mileage, there is so much stuff to just wander around and enjoy, especially the upper parts of French Canyon.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Agree with Paul. Possibly some snow on Piute Pass but nothing that requires any equipment. Carol Col/Puppet Pass same thing. Just be careful boulder hopping on the way down if it’s slippery!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools