Topic

NorCal GGG 2022?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips NorCal GGG 2022?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I was wondering if there is going to be a NorCal GGG this year (2022).
    Sure would be fun!

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Following…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’m getting low on caribou pastrami.

Anyone got a UL fryer that could handle beer-battered halibut?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Let’s do it! I’d be happy to make and pay for group site reservation as before. I suggest early spring, like late March or early April, before fire restrictions kick in. Henry Coe?

I’ll start work on a UL fryer for beer-battered halibut. Any ideas? I wonder what Jon Fong would suggest.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

David, look at the heat exchange fins on this fish frying pot:

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Excellent. Looks very UL, but maybe a few grams can be eliminated here and there.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I don’t even know what this trip is, but if someone’s packing in a deep fryer, I’m interested.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I was kidding about the UL part, but if a deep fryer will get Bonzo out here for the event I’ll pack one in.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Is this how I get suckered into packing in a 20-lb. propane tank?

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

You bring the best and unusual treats David T.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

David, that would be awesome if you got this going. I’m game for anytime before summer.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Would love to participate! Will be fun to see you all again. As I will be gone from March 20 to April 3, I hope it will be scheduled outside those two weeks.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Manfred! This is going to be great. It’s been too long! Looking forward to seeing many old friends and making new ones. And checking out the latest gear y’all bring :-)

OK, the weekend before you leave is March 12-13, which is only a month away. Not sure that’s enough time for people to make plans. The weekend after is April 9-10, about two months from now, which ought to work.

Show of hands: Who votes for April 9-10?

I’ll make the reservations and start a new thread as soon as I see enough hands for the April 9-10 weekend to hold “PS NorCal GGG 2.0” (the PS stands for Pandemic Survivors). Hard to believe it was two years ago when we had to cancel the 2020 GGG due to lockdowns, and three years since the last one in 2019. Time to start living again.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Adding a canister stove Burn Off this year.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I obviously vote for April 9-10

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

A UL Deep Fryer for Alaskan Cod?  I would use a tall skinny mug and cook one at a time.  Make a small hook to hang the fish from the lip as it might make it easier to pull out.  Sounds like a fun gathering.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I just want to know what the hell “GGG” stands for.  I’ve made up a few acronyms in my head, but none of them are charitable…and I don’t think they even have gorillas in Northern California.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Hey Jon, hope you can make it.

A 32 oz “growler” can is the same diameter as a Foster’s can but several inches taller at 7.5″, so probably good for a fish up to 10″ after head and tail are removed. For bigger fish you could use conjoined twins like this:

Or, even join two growlers, or a growler and a Fosters, to get these for fish up to about 18″ (after trimming):

Surprisingly easy to do by cutting and hand pressing together, and you get a waterproof fit.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Bonzo, the acronym is for Gathering of Gear Geeks. Not that other GGG for swingers….

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Not that other GGG for swingers….

Oh…well, in that case I’m out.  And I guess this also means there’s not going to be a giant gorilla get-together.  < irritated noises intensify >

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

The last time we had a giant gorilla get-together it didn’t go well. Lots of chest pounding, tree swinging, etc. So we don’t invite them anymore.

On a serious note, I was just informed of a family conflict the weekend of April 9-10. Everyone OK with April 16-17 instead?

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I’m fine with April 16-17. For some it might actually be a good opportunity to make it a longer weekend if they get Good Friday of. At the same time some might not attend due to family plans over that Easter weekend. Hard to know. Let’s see what others say.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

9th-10th would have worked well for me, but I’m working evening of 16th, afternoon of 18th.  Ah well.  Maybe I can make it out for a portion of the 16th.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A few years ago, DavidG and DavidT outed themselves to each other as Dan Savage podcast listeners by riffing about his very different use of “GGG”.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools