Topic

NOBO JMT Acclimatization Trail Start Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning NOBO JMT Acclimatization Trail Start Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

I have been trying to search and find a post I read about a good starting point for the JMT (north bound). I remember it was 32 miles from Whitney and the gentle rise was a great way to acclimatize over a few days before hitting the higher altitudes.

Was it perhaps Horseshoe Meadows?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Hey Matt – my friend and I are also researching JMT options for 2016. Horseshoe Meadows is above 10,000′, so it’s a higher start, and you’d be hiking over 12,000 passes on the first day to access the JMT, depending on your route.

To acclimatize, you could start your hike someplace lower and a few days away from the southern JMT, such as Kennedy Meadows. Alternatively, you could day hike for two days first, being sure to sleep at a moderate elevation, such as camping at Mamoth Lakes or Tuolumne Meadows between 7,000′ – 9,000′). Of course, being in shape, being well hydrated, taking it easy the first few days, and knowing how your body reacts to altitude all help too.

Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

Thanks Lester. I am in good shape however my dad is 74 (still fit though).

That is definitely the plan to slowly acclimatize. I read somewhere there is a 3 day hike of sorts with a gradual rise in elevation that meets up with the JMT at the southern end. The added bonus was that it was relatively easy to get a permit from this trailhead too.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Kennedy meadows would be around 3 days hike north to the JMT and starts nice and low at 6400′. However, the first commonly-used resupply point that I’m aware of (Onion Valley) is around 100 miles away – a long carry. A resupply at Horseshoe Meadows could solve the long carry issue, if you can figure out the logistics. FYI the johnmuirtrail Yahoo group has a lot of good resources, printouts and threads on resupply strategies you might find helpful.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I think if you want to go NOBO the best strategy is to acclimatize by way of either a short separate trip or dayhikes and camping at 8-10k, as Lester suggests. The reason I say this is resupply issues. If you use a different trailhead than the Portal, you are adding days to what is already the longest stage of the trip. You can mitigate this by way of a resupply at Kearsarge, but that’s more complicated than MTR (the next possibility and a very easy resupply point). Of course there are other attractions to a Horseshoe start – the easier permit situation tops among them. But I’d sat that for most people it makes a Kearsarge resupply a must. And I can’t think of another trailhead that would be better – starting at the southern Kennedy Meadows would be a nice gradual approach, but that’s more like 60 miles

One of the many reasons why SOBO is so popular – it’s easier as far as acclimatization, plus you start with the short resupply segments and thus carry less weight at the beginning. The largest load comes when you are well aclimatized and have rounded into shape.

Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

Thank you. I will definitely look into that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools