Topic

Newcomer Looking for Esbit Kit Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Newcomer Looking for Esbit Kit Help

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Christoph, how tall is your pot support?

This is what the Mini Esbit Mizers look like:

The round one is a Cohglans solid fuel.

This is a titanium pot support that can be used with the mizer:

Ox
    Spectator

@ox-2

Made mine with a tin can. All it takes is a tin can, a sturdy knife and less than half an hour. I can use solid/liquid alcohol or wood with it. Takes some space but it’s not a pb in my 70L backpack and I store fuel in it or you can even build a rocket stove out of two tin cans, just think about picking enough sticks before climbing past the tree line.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

@Dan, the last image is not working for me.

The stand is 6.4cm. As mentioned I’m using a gram cracker, the height of it, where the tab is, is 1.5cm.
    Resulting in a distance of 4.9cm, I think I read the numbers somewhere and also did some experiments with distance/flame height.

Improvements are always welcome though. I’m not sure if the tabs can be put to the bottom, it would save me 1.5cm :)

Ox
    Spectator

@ox-2

You worry me a bit girls/guys with your DIY solutions, keep in mind food standards exist for a raison and if you use the wrong alloy you may be ingesting toxic stuff.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The 4.9cm should be fine.

Romain, I like your non toxic tin can DIY stove :-) No worries here with titanium.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Just checking to see what kit Brett decided upon. He’s had all summer to experiment. :dblthumb:

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

LOL!!!  I just sent you an email Dan.  To bring others up to speed, I have a movement disorder known as Essential Tremor that causes rythmic shaking in my hands.  It has progressed to the extent that handling a small pot of boiling water or using the regulator on a canister stove is difficult…unsafe.  I played around a bit with various setups and grew very frustrated.  As much as I wanted to find some uber light, fast solution I came to realize that I didn’t want to carry that frustration to the trail and I needed something safe to use in the field.  And I still wanted my nightly cup of tea.  While I think I could have achieved that with some variation of an Esbit setup, I started to think there was a better solution…short of going stove-less.

Dan stepped in and sent some things for me to try.  Included in the box was the Kovea he experimented with earlier and documented in another thread.  For someone with tremors, I saw some distinct advantages to a remote canister setup.  Low center of gravity, wide stable pot supports, regulator moved out and away from the boiling water, etc.  Awesome.  Next was to find a pot, cup, kettle, whatever that was safe and easy to use.  I settled on a tiny Esbit kettle.  With its large bail handle, its easy for me to pickup, pour and return to the stove.

I just told Dan that I REALLY like this setup!  When my wife has joined me on trips we have continued to use our old JetBoil but she’s the one using it.  Just not safe enough for me any longer.  We’ll likely use the Kovea once the JetBoil dies but for solo trips, as much as it goes against my UL leanings, I’ll continue to use the Kovea/kettle setup.

Many thanks to Dan for his help!

I sure took this thread far-a-field….

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Yeah, that’s akin to one of the reasons I use Esbit – once it’s lit, it can almost be forgotten about, until the fuel is exhausted. Does not need to be slavishly monitored, once you figure out how much fuel will be needed. But lighting it, without a blowtorch-like lighter (more weight and bulk), can be a nuisance in windy conditions.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Glad to have been a help :dblthumb:. Robert has been very influencial in the advance of esbit use. Thank you Robert :dblthumb:

Esbit kettles are nice:

Image result for esbit kettle

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

I totally agree, and at 4.9 oz for the 600 ml size, the weight isn’t too shabby…considering what you’re getting.  That large bail makes for an easy target for my shaky hands!  Much safer.  $20 well spent.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

I may return to playing with the Esbit at some point…in tandem with the kettle.  I just became so enamored with the Kovea Spider when I opened the box that I didn’t look back.  For someone with tremors, assuming I was to continue using a canister stove, a remote seems to be a much safer setup.

BTW…Dan is the man!!!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Testing the Kovia was fun.

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Brett when you do use esbit try using the UCO storm matches to light it.

Yup, used them before.  They’re great. Something else I’ve done that’s proven to be very helpful was to remove the tablet from the package and place it on top of a cotton ball dipped in Vaseline.  This is then wrapped in a small piece of aluminum foil…before hitting the trail.  When ready to use, unwrap, folding the foil down to form a tray that helps capture the liquid Esbit as it burns.  Easy to light.  At some point I need to try the Esbit with that little Kettle!

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Not a new approach but I sometimes use a little hand sanitizer on a new tablet. I usually blow it out and save the remains to help light the next time.

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools