Topic

New Zpacks Solo tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Zpacks Solo tent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I thought I would bring it up here since I haven’t seen it talked about here. Here is the video where its shown ->

YouTube video

Basically….its like a combo between a solplex and hexamid solo. I’m interested in the design since it removes the back mesh “wall” that the solplex has, so you gain a lot of floor and interior space (the solplex kind of has an unuseable “vestibule” in the back. Removing the mesh also gets rid of unneeded weight.

I am worried about the spreader at the top…seems kind of finicky. Perhaps easy to lose or easy to break poles, and I’m worried how strong it would be in the wind. ->

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That’s a nice looking tent. It solves the problem of the old Hexamid beak not coming down to the ground (which was my main complaint) and it has an attached floor without the netting–also better. I like the single pole set up. And to me, these tents are plenty big inside for a solo hiker.

It will still ‘mist’ inside during periods of heavy rain, but that’s not a deal breaker. My guess–and it’s only a guess–is that it’s more stable in wind than a duomid.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

There’s a thread on this new design here somewhere.

Ryan

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Oh, guess you are right. There was one here, about 10 posts ->

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-zpacks-1p-tent-model/

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

IMO, if you’re going to use a trekking pole for structure, you should figure out a way to use two poles, before you start adding other structural components. This tent looks alright, but I’m skeptical about those mini poles. I think something simpler, lighter and more elegant could be done with two poles.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@dandydan wrote:

IMO, if you’re going to use a trekking pole for structure, you should figure out a way to use two poles, before you start adding other structural components.

If you’re carrying one, you’re probably carrying two.

The roof beam thingy adds a little (very little) function but not stability, and we really need stability out of these ultralight tents now.

Tarptent has so many things going for it – two pole designs (Notch, Stratospire), Pitchlok corners, and now DCF but there’s so much more to do:

• Fix the overlapping door closure / magnetic / velcro thing problem so high winds don’t blow the doors open;
    • Add PitchLoks to the vestibule corners.

Two things. 3 oz of weight. Vast improvement in storm stability, cooking and storage space.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

You can get another look at the tent on Will Wood’s Overland Track post hike YouTube video at 37:10 and 47:10..

YouTube video

A W T
    Spectator

@beansong

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have this great 6 Moons Designs cuben fiber solo tent that has a spreader pole inside at the top with two little receptacles where you stick in your two trekking poles. With the two poles and just three stakes, you can set this up as a net tent with the vestibule doors rolled up and snapped to the top. Two more stakes for the vestibule doors and it’s rain-worthy. It’s too bad they don’t make this tent anymore because only needing 5 stakes max is great.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools