Topic

NEW Western Mountaineering Quilts!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NEW Western Mountaineering Quilts!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Clint Warner
    BPL Member

@kodipak

Locale: Salt Lake City

Just left OR, very impressed with the new WM backpacking quilts coming out.  See specs below.  All 7D fabrics, with typical WM top shelf fit and finish.  Most interesting is the innovative draft collar being employed in the design!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Nice to finally see some detail.  I know they have been working on these for a while.  The underquilt has been out for a bit for the hangers out there.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

That looks like the “yoke” on the cuben/apex quilt design from Bill Fornshell years ago.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Bill did everything first.

Didn’t know they did an under quilt.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Their sizing is 5’8″ and 6’4″….that seems different from other bag makers who are usually 6′ and 6’5″?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Their sizing is 5’8″ and 6’4″….that seems different from other bag makers who are usually 6′ and 6’5″?

Different and curious.  At 6’1″ neither would seem to be a great fit for me.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

I read “length of quilt” as being exactly that, as opposed to intended for a person who is that many inches tall. Meaning, the longer one might be a good fit for 6’1″ JCH. Anyone know the answer?

It would also be interesting to know whether they have a differential cut, and whether they live up to the WM reputation for conservative temp rating.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

It says the length of the quilts are designed to fit pads. The 5’8″ is designed to fit regular (and shorty) length  pads. The 6’4 is designed to fit long length pads. So pick the one based on what length pad you normally use.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

If you are 6 ft 1″ tall, wouldn’t the 5 ft 8 in. quilt fit you, by leaving only 5 in. of the top of your head exposed? Unless you like to have the quilt drape over your head.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

Ethan, we have no idea because, see below…

Brian, Apologies for my brusque critique of your explanation, but… That makes no sense to me. I am a shade under 6’2″ and I use a torso-length (47″) xlite. But to clarify my point, let’s say I was 6’6″, and I still used a torso-length pad… If I were to buy the short quilt (because that’s what fits my pad), then the quilt would provide coverage from my feet to my armpits (about?), but not further.

The language about being made to fit a specific length of pad… it does not clarify whether the lengths (68″/76″) are referring to the end-to-end length of the quilt (exterior or interior?), or the height of the user, or…? Even if the lengths match a specific pad length, the customer would have to account for whether their head lays on the pad, or on a pillow that sits above the top edge of pad.

I suppose all this will be clarified by the time the quilts are available for purchase, BUT…. IMO…

WM may have claimed a small edge in the performance versus weight equation for UL quilts. And for a not-outrageous price, too. I’m jumping the gun, obviously, but I say that based on (1) the specs provided above for a horizontally-baffled quilt, which allows a bit better field customization for a wider range of temps, especially given how small a hole there is in the bottom of the quilts in those pics(2) the use of differential cut in WM mummy bags, which seems to boost insulation performance beyond a strict calculation of down weight/FP/loft, and (3) WM’s reputation for providing conservative temp ratings.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I had a moonstone PCT 2 GTX sleeping bag that had that neck yoke thing. Circa ’93.

(My buddy has it now)

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

This quilt does not appear to have a shaped footbox so it is similar to other quilts on the market in that respect.  I am 6’1″ tall and have size 14 feet.  Because of the overlarge size of my feet, I have to take that into account when I am fitting quilts since they do not have the shaped footbox.  I have an EE Revelation in Long size.  EE says it fits 6’2″-6-8″ and is 84″ long.  But due to the size of my feet, it fits me just right.  If I’m laying on my back with my feet stretched out, I need to have the head area snapped and use the drawstring to hold it in place to keep out drafts.  I also have a homemade down quilt that I made 90″ long and it fits me perfectly with a bit of room to spare and I don’t have the issue of the head area needing to be cinched tight because of the additional overlap.

All that said, EE’s sizing guide says their Regular length quilt would fit me, but due to the size of my feet, the Long length is perfect, though the Xlong length might be more convenient for me.  So keep your foot size in mind when considering these new WM quilts.  I would need to find out the actual lengths before considering an order.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

“Bill did everything first.”

I have a sleeping bag from the early 90s – a Thermanest actually – that has a yoke.  And I can think of a Japanese sleeping bag company that has had yokes on their bags since at least 2001.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

@madgoat, you’re right, it’s a little hard to see the footbox. I would, however, be surprised if a reputable company like WM would adopt the flat, envelope style foot end, or anything else but a fully shaped efficient design. This is something I associate with extreme cost cutting measures, or a maker employing mostly low skilled pattern makers/seamsters.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Mordecai… you’re over thinking it. If the length of your body fits on a regular pad, then get the 5’8 size. If the length of your body needs a long pad, then get the 6’4 size. I’m sure those lengths refer to the length of the quilt.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Does anyone know anything about the attachment system? Or are they meant to be used like bags? Meaning, you get in and “close” them. One thing I like about quilts is that they don’t slip off the pad.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

A different pic by Philip Werner, about halfway down the page.

https://sectionhiker.com/outdoor-retailer-2017-editors-choice-gear-picks/

It does not look like it has differential cut. Its so wide, though, maybe you can shake the down into the center and tuck the sides under your mat for a similar effect.

(Brian, I understand that I would get the 6’4″. At this point, I am just interested in assessing the quilt against other options.)

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

So I snagged an Astra from backcountry. Construction and quality of materials is fantastic. Closure system I’m not sold on. Not sure they spent the time of this they should have done here. It’s basically six loops with bungee cord crisscrossed through with a cord lock at the end to tighten and loosen.

it is supposed to be matched to pad size, but doesn’t actually seem to be able to connect with the pad at all. The loops give it the potential to easily add your own system, but at the price I think perhaps they should have come up with something a bit better.

Not fully sold on keeping it right now.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Richie – it seems like that quilt is very very similar to the katabatic palisade in terms of specs. If you’re familiar with the katabatic attachment system maybe you can comment on the difference between the two? Also what do you think about the draft collar? Do you think it will work well?

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Hey Benjamin

It is a bit lighter than the Katabatic. the materials and craftmanship are gorgeous, with the materials even a step up from this Chisos and Palisade I also own, especially the silky 7d inner.  have the wide version of the katabatic and the WM is more of a normal cut. The loft in the down is fantastic. If feels like air.

The katabatic system uses some 2mm cord around the pad that special clips attatch and allow movement until you lock things down.

The WM is simply shock cord crossed through three loops on either side that acts in leiu of a zip. The loops mean you could very easily rig a system like katabatic or EE.

The draft collar – I think it would be useful if you have to really cinch things down. and is a bit of a luxury if not,

Apologies if this is not especially scientific. Just not had too much time to play with it yet.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Richie – thanks that’s very helpful. I have an Alsek so I’m familiar with that system. The WM system sounds strange but it just dawned on me that I can just walk over to backcountry.com and get in one and see for myself. I guess I’ll have to do that sometime this week.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Just wanted to post a first impression since there isn’t much information on the WM Astralite Quilt available.  I certainly didn’t need another quilt but had a store credit to a retailer that didn’t really have anything else that interested me and I pulled the trigger, mostly out of curiosity and to satisfy my gear lust for something lighter and more compact.   I have owned dozens of bags and quilts over the years from Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Sierra Designs, Moonstone, Golite, Snowlion, Camp 7, Gerry, Alpine Designs (those last 4 are a blast from the past), The North Face, Katabatic Gear, Enlightened Equipment, Nunatak, and UG Quilts – I may have missed one.  While all of these companies make or have made completely serviceable and high quality bags and quilts, IMHO nobody does it better than Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Katabatic Gear.  They have elevated the art and craft of bags and quilts to the highest levels of design, construction, materials, and execution.

The Astralite does not disappoint and nobody has higher quality and lofting down regardless of what fill power claims are made by other manufacturers.   Simply said, WM’s claim of 850 is very conservative compared to the fill as determined but the “standard testing procedures” but reliably accurate in the field.  I purchased the regular length (5’8”) quilt that is reported to fit users up to 6’ tall”.  I am 5’9’’ with size 12 feet, 170lbs with a shoulder girth of 52” for reference.  I wouldn’t want to be more than 5”10” when stretched out on my back and the quilt snugged up but a 6 footer could work.  I sleep mostly on my side so it’s a non-issue.   It is a wide quilt from the knees up, most closely matching the Katabatic Elite Palisade Wide in dimensions and fill weight, and a bag that I am very familiar with having owned a wide Palisade along with a wide Chisos and wide Alsek.  I currently have a Katabatic Flex 22 in regular width with a two ounce overfill of 900 fill non treated down.  The Astralite is 5” wider at the shoulders and 3” wider at the hips than my regular length, regular width Flex. The foot box is two inches smaller in circumference.

Since this is Backpacking “Light” lets get actual weight out of the way since it is what we are all concerned about.  My bag sans back straps, bungie cord, and back cord locks weighs in at 16.5oz.  Assuming that the fill is at the stated 10.5oz, and I have no reason to believe it is not, that puts the shell weight at 6oz.  Pretty remarkable for the wide width and including a neck gaiter/muff.  The Pertex 7d outside and Pertex 10d inside go along way towards contributing to this as well as a very simple and clean design of the quilt with nothing extra included.   While speaking of the fabric, it has a great hand and feels much more robust than the 7d would imply.  I am not a fan of the color for outdoor use and would prefer something darker but WM has a lot of bags and doesn’t appear to like to reuse a color for a different bag.  Black would have been my preference and one they don’t have in their bag lineup.  That said, it is a very nice color and will make it easy to spot small creepy crawlies and winged blood suckers – dead or alive.   The down is mostly white and doesn’t show through the translucent fabric as much as you would expect and as a result maintains its hue.  The stitching is impeccable and the seam allowances unbelievably narrow, contributing to a shell that is as light as possible.   On the main bag there are no seams across the width or length on the inner or outer shells – essentially a single top piece and bottom piece as well as a front and back for the footbox.  The down filled neck closure is separate and sewn to the shock cord channel at the top.

I haven’t used the pad attachment cords provided with the various quilts I’ve purchased and won’t be with the Astralite either.  It is sized such, that for me at least, I will just tuck the edges under and around me if needed.  The whole reason I transitioned to a quilt was the freedom it provides and strapping it down just doesn’t make sense to me.   However, for those wondering, one of two nitpicks I have with the quilt are that the strapping/draft prevention system is a bit fiddly.  There are two flat elastic  straps with cord locks provided to attach the quilt to the pad and round shock cord that laces the back up like a shoe with a cord lock to adjust the width.  In all fairness though, all quilt to pad and quilt back adjustments are fiddly in my estimation so it is a problem still to be solved.

The cut of the quilt is generous from the knees up but from the knees down it’s a bit snug with the footbox being enclosed from the bottom five and a half baffle chambers for some 25+ inches.  I would have preferred the enclosed footbox just span no more than three baffle widths for 15 inches to create a little more leg room.  It will make venting legs and feet a little more difficult to do but was most likely a design decision to keep the weight as low as possible without introducing a potential spot for drafts at the legs.  On the plus side it will be thermally efficient when used at or near the temperature limits.  To come in at an under 17oz target weight for the bare quilt, and one comfortable for the masses down to below freezing, was something driving the finished product and it is evident in the design and material choices right down to the small plastic snap and micro bungee cord and cord lock at the neck closure.

Western Mountaineering’s interpretation of the uber-light premium quality quilt is a good one with little room for improvement – while maintaining the current weight.  I would trade some width at the shoulders for some increased width at the knees and open up the foot box a bit.   Make it in black or another dark color and it would be the quilt I would make for myself and should weigh the same with a combined reduction at the top and expansion at the bottom.  Unfortunately I am not that talented as is evidenced by the MYOG quilt I pieced together some 10 years ago to validate the quilt concept for me.  While serviceable and still in use for summer trips and cool nights car camping, it leaves a great deal to be desired in the quality construction department.  The sewing is at best passable if not messy, particularly at the footbox – but it is secure.

Given that a Katabatic Palisade Wide, in 900 fill, with non-treated down, can be had for $420 in the regular length, which is the better value?  The Palisade is roomier in the legs, most likely more comfortable for a full 6 footer, more robust shell and liner material, what appears to be a highly regarded pad attachment system for those that like that sort of thing, equally meticulous construction, and the option for hydrophobic down for an additional $5 if you so desire it.   For a little over an ounce of additional weight the Palisade can be purchased for $370 when selecting the 850 fill treated duck down.  The WM Astralite saves 4-5 oz, stuffs smaller and is available at a local retailer near you if you would like to touch and feel one before you part with your hard earned cash.  At this point I like them both equally well but may have a more definitive opinion after I have a couple weeks of experience with it.

Some may wonder why I didn’t select the Nanolite since I already have the Katabatic Flex 22 and I wonder that a little myself.  It would certainly delineate my two bags a bit better and make a more clear decision on which one to take on a given trip.  My plan is to use the Astralite down to 30f or so and the overfilled Flex 22 for lower temps.  Given the 8oz weight savings over my Flex 22 with 2oz overfill, I am sure I will push the lower limit as far as possible.  In the backyard with low 20’s temps and on a large Xtherm clothed in Patagonia cap 1 lightweight thermals and a Luke’s Ultralite down balaclava, I slept plenty warm.  It’s a bit anecdotal since I was in conditioned space right up until I retired for the night, but it’s certainly a good sign.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Too bad I’ve already sold my firstborn to finance the two Western Mountaineering bags I own…

I’d trade my Summerlite for an Astralite in a heartbeat if it wouldn’t cost me.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Great review.  Thanks!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools