Topic

New tripod options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography New tripod options

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

I like to do some landscape photography when I go backpacking, and I’m looking at replacing my tripod.  I currently use one of the compact MeFotos, but I haven’t really liked working with it.  I like the compact size is nice and the weight isn’t that bad, but it takes forever to set up due to the 5 section legs and the not-all-that-great twist locks.  I’m looking at replacing it with another compact tripod, probably carbon for the weight savings and better vibration dampening, and preferably with flip locks.  Currently I’m looking at the Sirui ET-1204 and the Manfrotto BeFree; does anyone have any experience with these, or have other suggestions?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Do you use trekking poles? If so, you can’t beat the weight of the TrailPix (trail-pix.com). I’m planning to either order one of these, or make something similar out of cedar to save an ounce or so. If I make my own, I’ll put a loop on the bottom with a LineLoc3 and some chord with a hook on the end to hang my pack from to increase stability. I also plan to put a quick-release ball head on it (not the ones that TrailPix sells), probably the Slik SBH-100 DQ, as it’s the lightest ball head I could find with a QR plate that will fit the TrailPix well. For a third leg, I’ll either use a friend’s trekking pole or buy a 3 ounce carbon tent pole.

Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

I’ve started bringing trekking poles since I switched to using a tarp and bivy; I don’t really use them that much while hiking but they’re pretty good general use pieces.  I like the idea of using them for a lighter weight tripod, but it looks like you’d lose a decent amount of the flexibility offered by a real one.  I’ve also considered using whatever tripod I get as one support for my tarp and bringing either one pole for general use or just a carbon tent pole for the other end.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Two other options you may have already seen are below, starting with the lowest weight (and least flexibility). Both of these are less weight than the Sirui ET-1204 and the Manfrotto BeFree that you mentioned. For stability, I’d bet that the TrailPix system would be more stable than the Polaroid. If you do get a full-fledged tripod, it’s an excellent ideal to use it as part of your shelter support, provided it has enough height (and stability) to suffice.

Polaroid PLTRI42 42″ Travel Tripod with Panhead (1.0 lb, no QR plate, less sturdy)

Slik Sprint Pro II GM Tripod with Ballhead (2.07 lb, QR plate)

Eric Batty
    BPL Member

@ericbatty

I have been using the Gitzo 1542T with a RRS Ball-head. Total weight with the centre column removed is 1200g. I have used a few different models of similar weight and they are not as stable as the Gitzo. Only downside is the price.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I have a trailpix and love it.  Very sturdy when you hang weight from it.  I would recommend using 3 trekking poles rather than a lighter weight extension – I hike with Locus Gear CP3 poles and use a Black Diamond Z-pole as my 3rd for tripod use.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I use a little Jobi tripod. Very versatile.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools