Topic

New to Hanging and I Love It!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping New to Hanging and I Love It!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I’m a recent convert to hammocking. Oh my, my back and hips feel amazing in the morning. I researched the you-know-what out of hammocks and talked to some fellow hammockers and I think I’m pretty set for a good while with gear. I went with the “buy once, cry once” motto and splurged in one shot. Here’s what I got:

• Dutchware Chameleon wide with integrated bugnet side car
    • Dyneema straps w/ sewn in Dutch Clips and Beetle Buckles
    • Warbonnet Minifly (20D) with Dutch Stingerz
    • Bottom quilt is a Loco Libre summer Operator series for the warm months and a synthetic 30 degree quilt for the colder/shoulder seasons.
    • Top quilt is Katabatic Gear Flex 30

Everything all in comes out to 4.75lbs. My baseweight is right at 11lbs now which is pretty awesome in my opinion. This set-up allows me a fully enclosed system, storage, protection with the doors, and a super easy suspension set-up.

EastCoastHiker
    BPL Member

@slackpackhiker

Sweet!

The Sidecar sounds interesting. I love the WBBB’s shelf, so the option to have a similar storage area in the Chameleon is great. How do you like it?

I have 50 degree Operator Series quilts and love them, a lot. UGQ is my all time fav quilt maker, but Loco Libre’s chevron design is fantastic and the quilts are quality.

The Minifly might be a game changer. The light weight of the 20D plus the partial doors that appear to offer good protection and additional weight savings makes this tarp stand out. I used it in a moderate rain recently and it did very, very well.

Nice base weight!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Welcome to the high life.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Having converted awhile ago I had multiple hammocks before Dutch’s Chameleon came out.  My warning to new hangers is that you will want another hammock, then another, and another.  However if you remain focused on lightweight and avoid ridgerunners and the like you have a pretty top shelf kit.  I wish I knew about Katabatic and had the forsight to splurge on one when I first switched from sleeping bags.

Saw this last week…(funny because it’s true)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgq6B8jlLzn/?taken-by=ultralightjerk

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Welcome to your new obsession Tom! When I tried a hammock back in 2011 I was so excited about never being sore from the hard ground I never looked back.

john cremer
    BPL Member

@bear-taco

Congratulations Thomas. There is nothing like getting decent sleep in the wild!

I am in fourth year hammock camping (been hiking, camping, and backpacking since the ’70s) and really like my hammock. At 63 years of age, and that ground sleeping was becoming un enjoyable. I rotate around a lot shifting from mostly back to side sleeping, and the hammock accommodates these movements effortlessly. It took a short while to get used to the slight bounce/rocking motion that accompanies movement; but I got used to it after about a week

My basic set up is a Hennessy Backpacker modified with zipper side entrance. It is small but keeps the weight down.  I was not thrilled with the Hennessy’s included dinky tarp, so this year I upgraded to Zpacks Dyneema (with doors) rigged with adjustable continuous ridgeline and Dutchware all around — that should help with wind and rain. Even though I am usually pitched quicker than my tenting pals, this rig should speed set-up a bit.

I am currently using a Thermarest Neo Air inflated to about 3/4 under me and it insulates nicely.

Your rig sounds awesome — good luck with it.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ll be attempting to make a new hanging hammock for 1 tree application :-) Have to visit the thrift stores to find the right cot. I have what is known as a “Grizz Bridge” hammock but being a side sleeper and in need of frequent night time pee breaks I’m searching for something better 

Something like this one point suspension:

MikekiM
    BPL Member

@mikekim

Locale: Somewhere East of Montauk

I moved to the trees maybe five or six years ago…  I’ll go to the ground if I have to, but i get a better sleep in the hammock than I do in my bed.  Advantage to bed is my wife is beside me.

You’ve put together a nice kit.

As different fabrics have come to market I have added hammocks and find that DIY is the best option for me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thomas, I picked up one of the Sheltowee storage bags. I like it too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools