Topic

New Platypus QuickDraw solo filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Platypus QuickDraw solo filter

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

This sounds intriguing. The Platypus QuickDraw Micro Filter

Despite the hard work on making it mate to lots of bottles on the ‘dirty’ side, all it has on the clean side is a gaping hole? Seriously? How do I fill my 2L Platypus folding bottle? What am I missing?

On a related note, I’m skeptical of the ‘shake to clean’ feature. The fact that you can’t attach anything to the clean side with any sort of seal makes me wonder what’s going on with the filter elements where they seem to be going out of their way to prevent backflushing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don’t know, the be free filter (though certainly made differently) is also a shake to clean filter, and has been used quite successfully by many.

I will say that they seem to understand the UL mindset better than most large companies.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Hmm, there is probably one of those in my future.  I like the wider opening to the dirty bottle, and the more rigid material will make it easier to fill from a standing water source than the Sawyer containers, which collapse.  The ability to mate the clean side of the filter to so many different containers is a plus, and it does seem nice and light.  In general, Cascade Designs does a pretty good job with their stuff.  Wonder what the price will be?

I do question what is so much better about the shake method for cleaning the hollow fiber tube filter.  That works OK for the BeFree, but I have found that every hollow fiber tube filter I have owned has eventually clogged up regardless of how clean the water has been and how religiously it’s been  backflushed/cleaned.  I just plan on a replacement almost every year before the big trips begin.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“Wonder what the price will be?”

My guess is $129.99.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Jenny A “The ability to mate the clean side of the filter to so many different containers is a plus”

I think that’s the ‘dirty’ side you mean. The ‘clean’ side connects to nothing other than the atmosphere.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Philip, ah yes.  The “nesting” threw me.  Still looks pretty neat, and watching that flow rate makes me thirsty.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Why would someone want to screw their Smart Water bottle to the dirty side anyway? You need to squeeze the dirty water source to produce flow. If you aren’t planning on completely crushing your SW bottle, then after each squeeze you would need to introduce make-up air to the bottle somehow. Does it get drawn in through the filter element? Would you need to break the seal with the filter after each squeeze? How is the compatibility with the SW bottle of any benefit?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Assuming that the weight is correct and the price will compete with the Sawyer Squeeze and the Befree, I can see how the Platy filter can have some value, especially for the thru-hiker.  In case of destruction of your water bladder, you can easily put up a compatible 28mm bottle in the next town.

Having used a SW bottle with a Sawyer Squeeze, I didn’t find letting air in or squeezing the bottle to be a major issue.  The SW bottle is long and narrow, so the structure is mostly at the ends.  The bottle itself recovers pretty well from being squeezed.  And I found the bottles to be a lot more durable than the bags that come with the Sawyer.  My big issue with the Sawyer was the flow rate.

Currently, I’m using the Befree.  The flow rate has been great.  Especially since I picked up the tip in this forum to run some distilled water through the filter after a trip.

But I agree with Jenny.  After a while, filters with hollow fiber tubes clog and need to be replaced.

I haven’t found the open clean end of the Befree to be an issue.  While I’m hiking, I just unscrew the filter, dip the Befree bottle into a water source, screw the filter back on, and drink directly from the bottle. Very quick and easy. For camp use, I’ll tote a 1l platy as well as the Befree bottle, both filled with untreated water .  When I use up the water in the Befree bottle,  I’ll dump the water in the platy into it.

My issue with the Befree is that  of compatibility with few water bottles/bladders. The HydraPak bottles are not transparent, which is a deal breaker for me.  I have the compatible CNOC 2l bladder, which I like, but at 3 oz even on my scale, it’s relatively porky.  None of this would be a big deal  if the Befree bottles were sturdier.  The .6l version sprung a leak in my first few weeks of using it.  So far, the 1l version is doing OK,  but I’m being far more careful with it.  If the bottles were available without the filter and at a reasonable price, I’d be a happier camper.

What the Befree has going for it is the weight, 1.2 oz dry weight of the filter and 1 oz for the 1l bladder.

The Platy filter is 1.4 oz heavier for the filter and bladder.  Is it worth it?  Hard to say right now.  I most likely won’t be the guinea pig for this one,  but I’ll be keeping a close eye on reviews from the field.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

No back flushing, swish to clean, will more than likely suffer like the Befree will.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“After a while, filters with hollow fiber tubes clog and need to be replaced.”

I’ve had my Squeeze for 7 years.  Works about the same as original.

Regular filters eventually clog and have to be replaced because you can’t backwash.  Over their lifetime, they get gradually worse.

Hollow fiber filters will last almost indefinitely if you don’t screw up.  In which case they can clog all of a sudden.  It’s very easy to screw up.  The easiest way is to get mineral deposits on the filter.  But, you can fix this as has been discussed on previous threads.  They don’t have the property of gradually clogging with lifetime.

The micro squeeze says “up to 10,000 gallons”, the Squeeze says “lifetime warranty”

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

$40 apparently. I wish they’d show these in use with green algae filled water that we’ve seen here this summer instead of the bright sparkling stuff that look like it came straight from an Evian commercial. That stuff gets right inside the filter.

Not available til 2021 so don’t get too excited!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

If the output cannot be directed through a tube to the Platypus ‘push-pull’ bottle cap adapter, this thing is dead to me.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

@retiredjerry:

Seven years out of the same filter?!  That’s pretty impressive.  Apparently, I gave up on the Sawyer too easily.  When my Befree finally bites the dust, I’ll have to give the Sawyer another go.  It would be worth carrying another couple of ounces to get that kind of value out of my filter.

Black Magic
    BPL Member

@blackmagic

The micro squeeze says “up to 10,000 gallons”, the Squeeze says “lifetime warranty”

Good luck ever getting Sawyer to honor their warranty. I had a brand-new Squeeze that was leaking out of the seam, and after jumping through Sawyer’s ridiculous hoops (taking video of the leak, getting a receipt from the outfitter where I purchased it), they rejected my warranty claim, telling me that I must have damaged the filter by “over-tightening it.”

The filter had been used for maybe five days, in warm weather, by an experienced user — me, who knows how to use it properly.

From the video shown it looks like the inner o-rings have been damaged due to over tightening of the filter. Over tightening will warp the o-rings and likely snap them out of place if done too much. Unfortunately that is considered physical damage and would not fall under manufacturers warranty.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“Wonder what the price will be?”

”My guess is $129.99.”

Nope.  “$39.99 | $29.99”

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I didn’t see any sort of gravity tube hookup.. I wonder if they will have attachments.

But hey, if i can do 2L in 40sec, I guess I won’t have to mess with gravity anymore..

steven green
    BPL Member

@mrgreen4

Has Platy released any update? If I remember correctly, the launch was said to be April 2021.

I emailed them, I’ll let you know when they reply.

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

https://www.platy.com/filtration/quickdraw-microfilter-system/11459.html

Looks like it was just released. My local REI has them in stock.

Anyone get ahold of one yet?

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Yup, picked one up last week at REI.   Sorry, no joy for you, haven’t tried it out yet.

steven green
    BPL Member

@mrgreen4

I’ve been using mine for a few weeks while trout fishing.
    Very happy with it, I’ll post more in a day or two.

Spoiler alert, better ( for me) than Sawyer Squeeze

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

20% off starting May 21 at REI (unless, of course, it’s within the lengthy list of exceptions)

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I think the BeFree is the only filter system that has gotten the form factor right, with the filter inserted into the bottle rather than having a 4-5” dongle sticking off the top of the bottle. Waiting and hoping someone will come out with a smart water bottle compatible system like the BeFree. The Sawyer Micro was so close, too bad it was a poor performer.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@mikebergy That would be nice. I think the Sawyer Squeeze is the best all around filter for price, longevity, versatility and field serviceability.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

The fact you can buy them at Walmart basically negates any need for a warranty and nearly guarantees being able to find replacement almost anywhere. I do hope this Platypus filter stacks up well and continues to get good performance reviews, we can always use more good systems on the market.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

Does anyone know if this platypus filter attaches to hydrapak water bags? That’s what I currently use on my BeFree. Thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools