Topic

New Pack or Learn to Pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Pack or Learn to Pack?

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Colin, I think the Katabatic is a much more comfortable pack. Whereas I felt like the Circuit struggled with 30lbs, I have no issue carrying that amount with the Katabatic. I know others, however, are the opposite and they prefer the Circuit, so fit is key (there’s a thread on BPL somewhere where someone details their choice of the Circuit over the Katabatic)

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I will add I did make a couple of small holes in the bottom of the pack on my trip. I assume this happened when I sat on rocks to rest with my pack on during the hike. Easy to repair when I discovered them after the trip with a bit of silicone.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

John: Good to hear that. I find the Circuit to be 10/10 up to about 25lbs total weight, 9/10 up to 30 then it drops off pretty quickly after that. For a trip earlier this summer I had to use an old tent and carry a bit of a friends stuff so ended up with 35lbs (with water) and had some issues. Really pretty impressive given how light the frame is but I’d rather not go above 25 in it if I can help!

Matt: My first experience with CF is with a Zpacks Triplex. I went with the .74 and am glad I did as on my second day I put a hole through the .51 bag (which is what they normally make the Triplex in). Super easy to fix of course but I was surprised by how easy the tear happened from a not very sharp object. The 2.92 in the packs is obviously stronger but I’ll take the 6oz penalty to have the Gridstop that will double the life of a pack. More critical for a pack than a tent IMO.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools