Topic

"New" Locus Gear Dome Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) "New" Locus Gear Dome Tent

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Well, Roger, you’ve re-kindled in me that old wound that only comes from unrequited love.

🤣🤣🤣

How much does / did that marvel, erm, solo tent you made for Ryan weigh?

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I don’t think this tent is only for high altitude base camps.
    This is a Japanese maker that is one of the only ones to provide a UL version of the dome tent that 98% of the hikers and climbers use here in the Japanese Alps.
    See page one of this very thread for an example
    (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-locus-gear-dome-tent/#post-3463144).
    Again, these domes are used because of small, rocky, exposed sites with mostly rocks for places on stakes. The domes give people peace of mind in the high winds and frequent rain storms during climbing season. Mids are possible but used rarely above tree line where a lot of the popular camp sites are in the JP Alps.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Having used mids, A-frames, and tarps in the Japan Alps (I’ve walked all three ranges and more), I can attest to the grief of using them in three season conditions in some of the designated camp sites which usually feature highly impacted, gravelly ground. Water drainage can be very poor on those sites, and bathtub floors are obligatory. However, that being said, if my main usage were targeted at those places/seasons/conditions, the Djedi wouldn’t be my first, or even second or third, choice. In its stead, I’d be willing to carry the weight of a Soar (from Trekkertent) instead. But I totally understand the appeal the Djedi (esp. the mesh door version) has in that market.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

How much does / did that marvel, erm, solo tent you made for Ryan weigh?
    The spreadsheet said 980 g, when made and weighed it came to about 1030 g, both including CF poles.

However, just to illustrate the point, the standard 2-man version weighs 1070 g. Barely any different: just a bit more groundsheet width really. One does have to be careful when pruning designs to be sure the pruning is really getting anything back.

Cheers

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Yes a lot of the Japanese UL-ers also like to buy from local makers.
    Personally I don’t have use for a dome. Slept in a Mountain Hardwear Direkt 2 and if I’d want one I’d consider the Djedi but for me this is not the time.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Again, these domes are used because of small, rocky, exposed sites with mostly rocks for places on stakes.
    I seem to remember turning up at one such VERY rocky site somewhere in Europe, and contemplating the huge heap of scree with some dismay. It was awful, but there were several other tents jammed in.

Then I realised that there was a perfectly nice snow bank, almost level, adjacent, with tons of clear space. To the other peoples’ horror (or admiration?), we smoothed out a site on the snow, pitched the tent, and spent a very comfortable night. I reckon the rocks were as cold as the snow anyhow, and the snow melted slightly under us to make some nice bed-like contours. We did have to use rocks for the guys, but there were a LOT of rocks available.

But maybe those sites in Japan don’t have the snow banks?

Cheers

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

The spreadsheet said 980 g, when made and weighed it came to about 1030 g, both including CF poles.

However, just to illustrate the point, the standard 2-man version weighs 1070 g.

I was pretty sure that such would be the case. I’d expect that the 2-man version would also be the more reliable of the two in a serious storm.

I can’t be the only one who’s been jonesing for a Caffin tunnel tent for all these years. What has it been? At least seven years since the idea of a production run for the MYOG-impaired masses was dangled about.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The Easton Product Mgr tried but got shot down by three things: the machinists they were using in China could not read basic English instructions; they only knew how to make pop-ups; and Easton Sales were not interested if was going to cost >$100 and they could not sell it in thousands to Walmart without getting off their backsides.

One American cottage company was interested, but they only had chainstitch machines with heavy thread, and would not re-equip for the more precise sewing needed. I would not compromise.

A second American company looked carefully at the designs but decided to back out. Yes, the sewing is a bit complex in places, although there was a very clear set of instructions.

I tried myself, but found I was working for $3/hour.

Cheers

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Perhaps it would be fruitful to explore going with the factory in Vietnam via Massdrop that Dan Durston has been using.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I had thought of that, but I will not permit my designs to be produced with my name on them unless I have direct control over the machining and QC. From what Dan has been saying, I doubt that Massdrop can work that way.

Cheers

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

I had thought of that, but I will not permit my designs to be produced with my name on them unless I have direct control over the machining and QC.

I admire your principled approach, but lament the result.

Maybe you could allow yourself first to do a series at a lower standard, under an alternate name. How about “Decaffinated Designs”?  (yes, it’s a joke, but I quite like it).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sounded like an off the Caff in-joke  to me.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Roger that, Franco.

Too bad the full-on “Caffinated Designs” version is likely to remain unobtainium.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Groan.
    I agree, but at present I am making stoves.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Rog,

I’ll say it again.

Having worked as a US Peace Corps Volunteer teacher in the Philippines I think that would be a good country to look at for your tent fabrication. They have a ton of very accomplished tailors there and most Filipinos speak very good English. A lot of US brand gloves are made in the P.I. and glove making is fairly complex.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Eric

Yes, I remember your comments. But do I want to fly over a number of times there to set up a business? The hassles (and costs) are usually immense – and I have discussed this with a few company owners who do this.

Cheers

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Roger, understood that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that your house-shaped profile beats a parabola (natural hoop shape) hands down for headroom for two people, and diversion of precipitation.
    If somehow you could remove the elbow(s) and give the roof a cleaner appearance, I think the tent would be more attractive, if only there were a way to prevent water from pooling at the top of the arcs, which causes a host of problems.

Mid fans don’t seem to mind the added height inside. The tents feel more airy and spacious. So a little extra height from a slight gothic arch might work, and would require only one elbow per pole. Also, substituting strong but more flexible fiberglass pole sections for carbon on each side of the arch but a ways from the peak, would allow the pole to bow out a bit more at shoulder height (sitting in the tent). As is the case with any hoops, side guys would still be needed to keep shifting wind from blowing the hoops sidewways to the point of breakage.

I think this is a bit like when I worked on my club’s trail map. I insisted on a proof before ordering, and we got a beautiful job. The next edition was done without a proof, and not negotiated directly with the boss, and it was more expensive and not so good. If the tent makers know that the contract depends on the quality of the prototype, I think you would get their best work, and they would want to be in touch with you every step of the way to insure that you would agree. All of this is from the mouth of a civil servant, who as we all know, can know nothing about the realities of business enterprise. So it’s just a few thoughts and my two cents FWIW.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

So a little extra height from a slight gothic arch might work, and would require only one elbow per pole.
    Like this?

(2002, Al poles, crinkly spinnaker fabric, deep in the rainforest.)
    It did shed the rain and snow rather well. There was no pooling of water at the top. Headroom was less good though.

Also, substituting strong but more flexible fiberglass pole sections for carbon on each side of the arch but a ways from the peak, would allow the pole to bow out a bit more at shoulder height
    The stuff I have seen was about half as strong and double the weight. Not my choice.

Cheers

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

So my two cents just went into the wishing well.
    But will keep pondering ways to get more shoulder room AND keep excellent shedding.
    I’ve seen a lot of FG poles. Moss sold them for some of his tents, and filament wound FG tube can be found online. The 1/4″ diam. Omnipotent stuff is too “bendy” I think.
    Guess the best way though is to try to come up with a hoop pole, using the same or different materials, and put it on the forums for comment. Maybe construct one out of prebent alloy, or even conduit used by cable TV, and see if the arc can be duplicated with flexed carbon or hybrid tubing.
    Thanks

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

HU: Locus Gear encountered some problems with the carbon poles initially used for the Djedi DCF wp/b single wall tent. The aluminum ferrules could bend, leading to failure. LG has replaced them with DAC poles, which add about 90 grams to the total weight. The details on are the product page.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jon

The details on are the product page.
    I could not find them. Help please? The URL would be nice.

The funny thing is that the aluminium ferrules I use on my tunnels have no problems at all – but they are made from Easton arrow shafts – 7075 T9. That stuff is seriously hard and very difficult to bend. In fact, on one occasion the stainless steel elbows bent slightly but the Al ferrules did not.

My suspicion, absent any more information except that the aluminium ferrules LocusGear was using did bend, would be that they were using some soft alloy bought from the local tubing supplier. Some of that stuff is MEANT to bend, for manufacturing purposes.

Cheers

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Last I heard, Locus Gear were using carbon poles sourced from Easton.

The link for the product page in English is here : https://locusgear.com/items/djedi-dcf-event-dome/?lang=en

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jon

My mistake: I thought you meant that LocusGear had a discussion about the aluminium ferrules which bent. I can understand them not mentioning the problem though.

The Easton CF poles are not bad. I have some they gave me.

I am sure the Djedi tent is useful in some places. It would be useless in our Alpine regions as we get too much rain – which would fill the floor. Condensation might also be a problem for us.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve been looking at this tent of late.  I have a BD Firstlight that appears to be a very similar design; it’s worked well for me as a winter tent- roomy for one, easy to setup, small footprint and has weathered a couple of really nasty storms.

I was thinking this tent might also be handy on something like the Sierra High Route- w/ it’s small footprint and storm worthiness.

Price isn’t overly friendly, but that can be said about a lot of things.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Saw Locus Gear is working on a silnylon dome of similar dimensions, and weighs less than 1kg:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwOiTjBBJ0T/?hl=en

Assuming it will be cheaper than the DCF version.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools