Topic

New Klymit V SL Slim – lightest full lengh air pad available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Klymit V SL Slim – lightest full lengh air pad available

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I just noticed this new Klymit pad on ultralightoutdoorgear,com/uk . I’ve been using torso length pads for 3 season use, just to cut weight, but this full length pad is tempting, It’s about 40 grams lighter than the same size NeoAir X-lite. The Klymit V SL Slim weighs 11.14 oz without the bag. It’s made with 20d polyester. Dimensions are 72″ X 20″ X 2.5″. R value 1.3, so that’s not as good as the NeoAir X-lie, but for summer months the Neoair is almost too hot anyway.

Klymit also now has an insulated version that weighs about 15.5 oz with an R value of 4.4, so that’s no better than the NeoAir. By the way,I don’t count the Klymit X Frame with the holes it and only 1.5″ thick as a full length pad.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

So okay, someone just made me aware via PM that the Exped Hyperlite Medium is actually 10 grams lighter than the Klymit V SL, and at about the same dimensions. It’s also a 20d. I’d personally trust the Klymit over the Exped though.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-big-agnes-axl-pads/

Currently only available for pre-order (so not technically “available”, I guess), but the listed weight of the Big Agnes AXL is still lighter than the Klymit

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’m liking the BA AXL pads the most of the new pads. The insulated version is really light and thick.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I should have kept up better with BPL posts. Maybe I’d have been aware of this new pad.

Yet I’m skeptical of  something that virtually no one has gotten their hands on yet. The specs on the AXL sounds good, a little too good to be true actually. I do however like the fact that it’s made with nylon instead of poly.

I’ve just never been impressed with BA products. I hope I’m wrong. I’d love a full length pad under 10 oz, but I’ll wait until others do field testing before I pony up $140.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools