Topic

New from Tarptent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New from Tarptent

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

(Drum roll)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

That is incredible. I just picked up a Statrospire 2, loved it, was mocking up something to BearPaw WD for a custom net (I mean the exact same thing as the Sidecar) for my dog and boom you post that news. I am so filled with joy. Thanks for the link.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thanks Ian.

The Side Car will be good to give a child some separate space too but I would think dog owners will like it best. fits both the SS 1 and 2

The Saddle is the wider version of the Notch  , what do you think ?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thanks Ian.

The Side Car will be good to give a child some separate space too but I would think dog owners will like it best. fits both the SS 1 and 2

The Saddle is the wider version of the Notch  , what do you think ?

franco@tarptent

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I really like the vestibules although at 6’3″, I wonder how close the side of the net would be from my face.

I peruse Tarptent’s website once or twice per month and have a couple other shelters that are on my “maybe someday” list.

The Mo Trail due to its simplicity, low weight, and not having fabric in my face.  Con, no gear storage when sharing the shelter with someone else.

The Stratospire 2 due to it being (reportedly) bomber in foul weather, room for gear, and a three person shelter in two person shelter clothing.  Con, higher weight penalty than other options and reportedly fidly to set up.

All shelters require some sort of compromise, so I’m definitely not dogging Tarptent.  Just sharing my thoughts as requested.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

SS2 reportedly fidly to set up
    It depends on how it’s done.
    Very easy for me to do as my first attempt to do it may way demonstrates :

YouTube video

I haven’t changed the way I do it since.
    A few minutes before that I had set it up another way so I knew already the space I needed but apart from that there are no tricks involved.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yay! Glad to see the Saddle announced. It’s cool to see another stuffable option from TarpTent.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

That’s odd, because for me, the setup on the Stratospire 2 was a huge pro. Took it out for an overnight, (bought it a week before) had never even had it out of the stuff sack and had it up and rigged perfectly in ten minutes. I’ve used tarps, mids, hammock setups and was just blown about how easy it was to get a perfect, taunt setup on the tarptent.

I like the extra ventilation and the tarp like setup of the Saddle. I’d pick it up for a luxury palace for my upcoming solo shelter purchase since its the same weight essentially as the Strato 1. However now that the Sidecar exists in all it’s awesome glory I’ll have to stick with planning for a Strato 1.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Alright, spill it, Franco.  How’s it work for really tall folks?  What’s it weigh for the tent, inner, short poles, and stakes?  Why choose it vs SS2?  Why ain’t it called the Notch2?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The first production run is not ready yet so we need to wait for the factory to finish it .
    Henry makes his prototypes with whatever he has at hand so not always the same material the factory has.(same for the factory made prototypes)
    I had the dimensions but we changed our internal E Mail system and can’t find them now*. There is plenty of headroom, both sitting up as well as laying down due to the very large (raised) end vents.
    It is a bit smaller in floorspace than the SS2 and the vestibules are std not extra large as in the SS2 (still big enough for a large pack and boots) , lighter too, 10oz or so lighter.
    Some will be interested as a shaped tarp or a tarp that has a dedicated inner when needed.
    Anyway, it is called the Saddle because as Henry explained to me , a Saddle is (geographically) a wider version of a Notch.
    * I had forgotten the code name for the tent , there are some other models to come , all having at the moment a temporary name.
    The peculiar part is that the Saddle was called Crazy Diamond a name dear to me as a dedicated Pink Floyd fan.
    Going by Henry’s musical taste it would have been called Scotland The Brave.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Hi Tod,

To answer your questions:

1) Works really well for tall people with regard to ensuring that your bag never touches a fly wall. The practical limit for sitting up and lying  down is dependent on trekking pole height but something 6’4″ if your poles are set to 115cm. You’re 6’6″ or something, right?

2) 37 ounces plus 2 ounces for end poles–same pole as the one we offer for the ProTrail–if you aren’t travelling with a companion who also has poles.

3) Re: SS2, it’s a good question.  Everything is a tradeoff.  The SS2 has bigger vestibules and a slightly wider floor which can be adjusted to just fit 3 pads and now offers the SideCar insert. The Saddle 2 is lighter, stuffable, better venting in rain, and more adjustable up and down.

3) Re: Notch, it’s similar but enough different that I thought it warranted a different, related name. In my thinking the biggest difference is the end support system which is integrated in the Notch but separate on the Saddle 2.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Henry, Is there any chance of a stuffable Saddle 1? That would pretty much be my ideal tent.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“I peruse Tarptent’s website once or twice per month and have a couple other shelters that are on my “maybe someday” list.”

LOL. Me too. Probably looked 30x I guess. If I can ever get one in coated poly or cuben, I will buy about 5 of those bad boys.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Franco and Henry!  Very interesting.  I’m 6’5″, so *maybe* this would work for me.  I’ve found my Notch barely long enough, but a little claustrophobic in bad weather.  At 39oz this might be a 2-man that could double as a 1-man if the forecast calls for lots of tent time.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Same floor length but much wider and taller at the ends so certainly better for you than the Notch if used as a solo.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Matthew,  I’ll look into the idea.  Likely not any lighter that way and 6 stakes instead of 4 but, yes, stuffable.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“Likely not any lighter that way and 6 stakes instead of 4 but, yes, stuffable.”

I can’t speak for Matthew, but for me, I’m at a point where I value low volume nearly as much as low weight.  One thing I appreciate about my stuffable shelters is that I always put them in an oversized stuff sack so I can smoosh them around other gear in my pack.  Space management can become important in a sub 50 liter pack depending on how I’m packing for the expected  conditions.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting stuff. When is a video tour or pitching video going to be available for the Saddle?  It looks awesome in the space:weight ratio spec. Hopefully it can be pitched with relative ease.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Exactly what Ian said. Volume and packability are really important to me and I unfortunately do not care for a front entry otherwise I would rocking a ProTrail right now. I think a packable, side entry TarpTent would be the coolest thing ever. I know it’s a crowded space but I would love a packable, pyramidish option made domestically with TarpTent’s attention to detail and materials.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Re: “* I had forgotten the code name for the tent , there are some other models to come , all having at the moment a temporary name.”

Thank you, Franco. Can’t wait to see the models to come.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

“I’m at a point where I value low volume nearly as much as low weight”

I think this applies to many if not most of the posters here.  I think Backpackinglight(BPL) could be called Backpackinglight&little (BPLL).

Poster Boy

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Dan, we’ll get a setup video posted in 10 days or so.  We’re expecting a lot of rain over the next week and need to wait for a decent day to film.  I can tell you that setup time is about 1:40, for me anyway.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

So Franco, “Lucifer Sam” wasn’t considered as a name? :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Well I miss Syd but no that was not a name that came up…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!