Topic

New Enlightened Equipment "Visp" rain jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Enlightened Equipment "Visp" rain jacket

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

https://enlightenedequipment.com/apparel/?_bc_fsnf=1&Insulation+Type=Non-Insulated&Product+Line=Visp

3 layer.  5.6oz.  Claims that pit zips are not needed due to the breathability of the material.

Would be interesting to see how this compares to the eVent, NeoShell, and the latest from Gore.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Interesting.  Being ePTFE it sounds like this is a real membrane like GTX or eVent.  The patterning actually looks decent too, though I think any rain shell needs pit zips for active use.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Every “breathable” fabric says it doesn’t need pit zips. Remembers REIs eVent jacket several years ago? Neither does anyone else. If you’re going uphill, x-country skiing or snowshoeing you need pit zips. I know cuz I sweat like stuffed pig in an pit!

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

The mittens look interesting. Very light. Who had experience with this material?

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Anyone one grab one yet?</p>

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Needs DWR = zero value.

Hard for me to understand how it is that new DWR-reliant rainshells continue to appear in the marketplace when at least two light/ultralight shells exist that are durable enough for backpacking and do not require DWR, and so will not wet out and lose their breathability after 5 minutes of incidental friction.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Hood looks like it fits terribly in the video, guy has a huggeeeeeegap on the top of his head

No storm flaps on the zips?

Not really storm proof if it doesn’t

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

two light/ultralight shells exist that are durable enough for backpacking and do not require DWR

Would you care to share which two those would be?

Thanks.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Columbia Featherweight and Colorado?

Some argue the North Face Hyperair and Arctyrex Norvan SL are durable enough for backpacking.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Columbia Outdry EX Featherweight and Caldorado, Marmot Phoenix, Montbell Peak Shell, Gore H5 Shakedry, Frogg Toggs UL (aka Dri Ducks).

The Phoenix (~8oz) might be considered too heavy, the new Shakedry stuff (Montbell, Gore) too fragile for off-trail or very long trips. Frogg Toggs is definitely too fragile but nevertheless has been used by many for years (including myself, until switching to the Columbia Featherweight).

Richard Nisley tested the Featherweight’s breathability using conventional methods and found it comparable to eVent. He then tested it using a bespoke method meant to simulate prolonged rain (which can disable a DWR even in the absence of abrasion) and found it better than anything else available at that time (last year). I’m hoping that he’ll be testing the new Shakedry stuff using the same protocol.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I forgot Mont-Bell had a shakedry jacket – of course it, like the offerings from TNF and Arctyrex state that they are not durable enough for backpacking.  I know there are people that have used them for backpacking successfully, but per the manufacturer at least, they are not intended for that activity.

I don’t think the Marmot Phoenix is DWR less, they just state that the DWR is permanent, which until someone has some long term use in one, to me sounds like marketing BS.

I’ve used DriDucks and for what it is, it’s a great option.  You just have to have the right expectations going into buying one (limited durability and poor fit).

I have a Featherweight, and it does seem quite waterproof in my limited testing of it, but I’m not sure it’s all that breathable.

The new H5 Shakedry seems like the best option on the market, but I’m yet to talk to anyone I consider unbiased (i.e. isn’t a ambassador etc) that has used one.  Hopefully it has the breathability of the running shakedry jackets, which I hear is fantastic.

To tie this back to the OP – It certainly seems like DWR-less rain shells are the future, but we have barely seen the tip of the iceberg there and smaller companies, like EE, certainly don’t have access to that kind of tech.  Even major manufactures are still selling 99% DWR based jackets.  We are the cutting edge.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Pitzips are a must for me. It’s not just getting rid of water vapor. It’s just flat out ventilation. Rain jackets are sauna suits when you’re hiking hard.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Brad, the Montbell Peak and the Gore H5 Shakedry both use a newer, thicker version of the Shakedry fabric than does the Arcteryx Norvan SL and TNF jackets that came out a few years ago. Both are rated for backpack use, but consumers are encouraged by both companies to a)keep pack weight low (not a problem for the lightweight backpacker:), b) wash frequently to prevent build up of oils on the membrane surface (this was required with DWR-reliant jackets too, but for slightly different reasons, c) avoid exposure to high abrasion/tearing forces (maybe best for trails and might be a risk for very long trips where accidents will eventually happen).

Skurka is taking the H5 to Alaska. Will be interesting to hear how it fares. (Is he an ambassador or such for Gore?)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

@stumphges – I didn’t know that Mont-Bell was also using the newer, thicker Shakedry – that’s good to know.

I’m sure Alaska will be a good test.  I’ve been there twice and worn a rain jacket a lot there!  The brush busting will also wear the DWR off a regular jacket in a couple of hours, so this is a good fit for a DWR-less jacket.  That will be a good test of durability.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Hi Brad, Yeah, I’ll hold off on Shakedry until Skurka writes it up, although he did use in Apalachians recently and mentioned wearing it in brush. As you say, brush is the #1 reason to buy a DWR-less shell.

The Columbia Outdry EX Featherweight seems to be the price/durability/brush-capable leader in this category at the moment. Mine is a hell of a lot more durable than the old Dri Ducks:)

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Very happy with my featherweight for what it does, but not cut long enough for coverage of 3 season mid layers. but back to the visp… 75000cfm?!?!? I don’t take EE as a company that makes stuff up. I’d really like to know if someone can confirm this “wind shirt” level of breathability.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Hanz,

the 75000 number is not CFM, it’s MVTR, very different.

-Tim Marshall

Enlightened Equipment

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Oh yea, I meant MVTR  g/m2/24hrs sorry. Um still that’s like 25000 more then vertice ZPacks and previously I think marmot nano membrane was the standard 56000 but I don’t recall any previous 3L above 75000. Very interested to hear from a user. I think future light are around 60k MVTR and 1.0 Cfm. This seems an intriguing product.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

75,000cfm? That’d be a 75-85 mph windshirt!

How cool is that!

:>D

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Has anyone actually USED a Visp rain jacket?  Since the new model addresses the lack-o-pitzips issue, now we need to know if the fabric is worth a darn.

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Hey JCH – I have it (and the pants) and am testing it now for an upcoming short BPL review. Short version – I like the fabric but the main strength of this jacket is its superior cut and fit. I think it’s really good.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yeah…but how long will it keep the water out?  Multiple days of constant rain?

IOW, it is a viable replacement for a 3L GoreTex rain jacket.  Inquiring minds…

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Given the type of fabric it is, I think it’s probably better utilized as an ultralight insurance layer for when multiple days of rain are not expected. That being said, I’ll be able to answer the “multiple days of rain” question hopefully after using it in late March in the southeast.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’ve been able to give the Featherweight a pretty good test. We planned a 3 day AT trip.  It rained HARD with high winds for 2 days solid. We decided there was no fun to be had and got off after 2 days.

The jacket seemed to do really well. There were 6 of us and all the others wetted out pretty early. I stayed relatively dry for the 2 straight days of use. It was cool weather (probably high 30s-low 40s) with wind-driven hard rain. It was a little humid in the jacket, but it fared much better than all the others in pretty rotten conditions.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben,

Regarding the other 5 rain jackets wetting out:

Did you hike through any wet brush? If so, how long was it before wet out on the other material types?

If it was just from the sustained hard rain, how long was it before wet out on the other material types?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools