Topic

New Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Backpack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nathan M
    BPL Member

@njmevec

Right now I’m rucking a Kelty Redstone 70L from Dick’s I got when I first started backpacking. I pared down my kit to be about 16 pounds, base weight, sans pack. With the pack the weight jumps up to over 20 pounds. That’s not okay with me given how much I spent in time, money, and research on the items in the pack. The 70L doesn’t specify where the volume is coming from (if it’s all main body and then exterior pockets extra?), but I don’t even fill up the collar. I use the brain to store my rain gear and headlamp, front pocket for med kit, water filtration, and battery banks, then everything else goes in the main body. I do like the exterior pocket for some nicer organization. I’m leaning towards the ZPacks Arc Zip with two belt pockets and two of the mesh top pockets (one of each for each side). It comes to $450 but weighs 26.5 oz compared to the 4lb 13oz of my current pack. I like the price and weight on the ULA Circuit, but I’d miss the exterior pockets too much. I like things neat and organized. The pack has to be 60L or greater (bear canister required in a lot of the Adirondacks), and I don’t like the Osprey Exos. Any other suggestions besides the Circuit and the Arc Zip?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

ULA packs have big outside pockets on the side and front.  I like things organized too and those work for me.  I did add a Zpacks multipack to lash on like a brain, and for <3 oz. it’s a great removable bag if I want to take a short hike with just essentials.

I just read Dan’s review of the Hanchor Mark pack.  That and the Seek Outside Divide both look interesting to me.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Nathan you will see a similar layout in most UL packs as Bob described above. One because its a leaner (lighter) design with less non essential features and two because with the right technique they work very well. During the day not much more than access to rain gear, water and snacks is needed. Everything else can ride quite nicely in the main body waterproofed however you choose to do so. At the end of the day when you dump your pack pretty much all of that gear will be used for that evenings camp except for successive days food. If you find you have a lot of extra gear you may want to rethink leaving home what is not getting used. My point is don’t overlook a good fitting pack over one that is not because of less storage separation. It truly isn’t necessary and you will thank yourself at the end of the day in weight savings.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Take a close look at Osprey’s EXOS 58 pack. Most comfortable UL pack I’ve used – and I’ve used 6 or 7 UL packs over the years.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

OP states, “I don’t like the Osprey Exos”

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

At 16lbs plus pack you too heavy for the real ultraLite weight packs.(frameless)  Depending on food and water needs and trip length you could get up to trip staring weighs of about 35lbs.  If you are consistently in that 35 range I would consider something more beefy than the Arc Zip.

For packs I’d look at the six moon designs fusion series, the Aquillo (forgets who makes it), ULA which you have already, Granite gear and seek outside.

I’d be looking for something with some sort of frame and a well paded hip belt

Trey F
    BPL Member

@treyfrench9

Locale: Northeast

Nathan, when I have to cary a bear canister, I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. It’s 60L, has plenty of pockets, and weighs in around 30oz.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

Take a look at Superiour Wilderness Designs. Good customer service and the packs looks really good.

Just ordered one, I’ll probably write some first impressions once it arrives.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

“the Aquillo (forgets who makes it)”

Elemental Horizons.  Would be an excellent choice for the OP.

Jeff W.
    BPL Member

@jcwhynot

Locale: Northeast

+1 on the Aquillo for the OP.  Just received a Kalais from EH and I’m extremely impressed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools