Topic

New Backpack Suggestions (for a 30-35lb hauler)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Backpack Suggestions (for a 30-35lb hauler)?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Hi,

I’m Hope W…new to this site. This is such a cool place to learn and gather information. I was wondering what suggestions you all might have on a new pack. I’m a 33-year-old female (mom of 2 girls ages 1.5 and 4) my husband and I often carry gear for the kiddos. The typical pack weight when I go is 30-35 lbs. I want a pack that can comfortably carry these loads. I’m looking at the new Baltoro 65 L pack by Gregory and some Mystery Ranch packs. What other bags should I be looking at and why? I know this is not a lightweight option but I’m sure some of you have experience hauling heavy/ moderate loads.

PS. I’m a somewhat experienced backpacker and my torso length is 21 inches so that limits the packs that will fit me properly. Any and all advice is helpful. Thank you in advance.

Happy trails,

Hope W

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I’d suggest you take a look at ULA, either Circuit or the giant Catalyst. Whatever discomfort 30-35 pounds causes you will be because that’s a heavy pack to be hauling around all day, not because of the pack!

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

I agree, but I know that some packs support weight better than others. I’ll take a look at ULA. I read an article about them and that the Catalyst sounds like it would be a good contender. thanks for the reply.

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

I love my Elemental Horizons women’s Kalais pack.  I had a ULA Catalyst and a Circuit.  I sold both after I got the Kalais.

The Kalais does an excellent job of transferring weight to the hips.  I like to do trips in the 10 to 13 day range and usually start out with pack weight in the 30 to 35 pound range.

Matthew at Elemental Horizons is great to work with.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Seek Outside Unaweep. Carries beautifully at this weight range and is handmade in the US.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

As Tipi Walter advised me, “My only advice is—esp if you’re young—is to get a McHale now and save yourself a lifetime of pack confusion.”

Nick Gatel’s review says it all: https://popupbackpacker.com/mchale-backpacks-long-term-review-bump-32-and-little-big-pack-36/

And Nick’s comments and pictures here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/58848/page/2/#comments

Dan has given me and others so much of his time (hours, one-on-one, over the phone) that I feel personally obliged to repay his kindness with the best advice I can give anyone willing to spend money on a lifelong investment: given how many packs one ends up buying over a lifetime, if you can commit to owning just one pack that will actually last a lifetime, there is nothing more comfortable and less expensive than a McHale.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Another Kalais owner here, with a 21″ torso too.  The only others I would consider are something from Seek Outside or Superior Wilderness Designs, either the Long Haul or Big Wild if you really need that much room, with their hanging hip belts.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

A lot of backpacks say 30-35 lbs, few actually handle that weight with any comfort.  I’d add the Seek Outside Divide to your list to look into.

I also have a long torso and finding a comfortable pack, that hauls any significant weight, is tough to come by.  The Divide lets you add several inches to their frame via frame extenders- easy peasy.

You can also add a Talon pocket to haul stuff like skis/snowshoes/etc (and it’s zippered so it adds additional volume as well)

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Awesome, I’ve never heard of a Kalais or McHale…I’ll do some research. Seek Outside and ULA are what I’m leaning towards. I just figured out I can go to ULA’s factory and get fitted. So that’s a really big plus. But if the pack can’t handle the weight I will look elsewhere. Really, all these suggestions have been so helpful. Found some new products. Thank you, thank you.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

ULA makes really nice packs (I’ve owned a couple), but when you start getting into the 30+ lb range, it’s my experience you want a framed pack- not an internal frame pack.  They’ll generally be slightly heavier, but contrasting between the two- it’s well worth the little extra weight when you’re hauling extra weight :)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

@Atif K ……I STRONGLY second your remarks, “My only advice is—esp if you’re young—is to get a McHale now and save yourself a lifetime of pack confusion.” I would like to add…..BEFORE Dan stops making his products as he is 71 years young! :)

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Thanks Ken.

Hope W,

To which I would add, don’t balk at the prices, weight, and labyrinthine website.

Packs start at $695 (just a few months of lattes more than an HMG). A stripped down Bump with hipbelt and stays can be had for under 2 lbs. And the least expensive of the materials will last a lifetime, custom fitted to your body (I counted 10 separate measurements).

I’ve seen otherwise very nice packs turn to shreds after a couple of years of very mild use. Here is an incredible story from a rescue professional whose McHale Pack fell over one thousand feet off the side of a mountain: http://mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/Sitka%20Rescue%20Don%20Kluting.htm

And others: http://www.mchalepacks.com/accolades/index.htm

Rebecca 510
    BPL Member

@wanderingrebecca

Locale: East bay, SF bay area

If part of that weight is a big bear can, you might check out the Nunatak Bears Ears. I don’t have it yet but am excited to be ordering after finding reviews here and on Reddit that say it carries loads very well at the weight range you mentioned.  It’s specifically designed to fit around a bear can, keeping the weight low and the can accessible on the outside.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

The wife balked when I said she needed and new pack after many years with packs that did not serve her nor fit well. I connected her with McHale and let both work on developing a pack for a trip we had planned. This is Sue’s letter to Dan after the trip:

Dan. Ken and & I just finished 10 days of packrafting on Isle Royale and I wanted to send little note on my appreciation for the pack you had made for me.

I practiced carried the final S-SARC pack you had made for me two days a week this summer with 33lbs for only one mile and it “rode” beautifully and it fits perfectly. Had a little kneed issue after practicing with the demo pack in snow and ice and wanted to strengthen the knee to be sure it was ok for the trip, as this this 77 year age body of mine is beginning to show some glitches at time. The S-SARC hugs into my back the way I like it and fits great on the hips. I have plenty of space for any equipment that this body can take even with the packraft inside…… I had lots of space!! I did not need to use the P & G lengthen frame this trip, though Ken says it will come in handy when I climb Everest….Winking smile I’m hoping some day one of my grand girls will use it and really test it out for the true amount it can hold and carry.

Thanks again….

Sue Larson

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Great.  Just read Mr Gatel’s review.  Now I have to throw away the crappy pack(s) and start over.   *j*  ~RL

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Read the reviews on McHale. Really cool story’s. Sounds like one pack and done. Thank you guys/gals for a the suggestions. McHale is really appealing. I’m not worried about price or weight. After lots of research and saving my money I’m normally sure of what I want and willing to pay for it. It would be nice to buy one pack and be done. Thanks for the info.

California Packrafting
    BPL Member

@unnamedpeaks

SWD Big Wild 70.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I’d also recommend the Seek Outside Divide or Unaweep 4800. I happen to have both the SO Gila and Unaweep and for the an additional 3oz you get another 21L capacity.

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

I’ve had two custom McHale packs years ago.  Each one cost more than $1,500, and I didn’t have them that long before getting rid of them.  I’ve also had multiple Seek Outside packs, which have turned out to be my absolute favorite packs EVER.  I don’t even need all the weight-bearing capacity that the S.O. packs provide, because I never carry more than a smidge over 30lbs.  Yet it’s the pack I choose to use because of the combination of absolute plush comfort, incredible fabric, durability, and others features that I want.  If I was only going to carry 20 pounds, I’d still reach for my Seek Outside pack, honestly.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Waymark has most of their packs on sale right now. I picked up a Lite 50 in Ultra.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Thank for all the responses. I decided to order a ULA Catalyst…I’ll see how it goes this summer.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools