Topic

Nero vs. Simple vs. Burn

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nero vs. Simple vs. Burn

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

Anyone have experience with all 3? Or with the Nero or Simple? Not much on the boards about these two packs. I have the Burn and like it but its not perfect and I am interested in trying these two packs.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I had the chance to examine an XPac Simple and I was impressed with the construction. The shoulder strap shape was very nice and I suspect I’d be happy without a sternum strap. The bottom pocket is nice too. If you are comfortable without a hipbelt then I think it’s worth trying.

The bottom pocket is great.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh. I saw a cuben one as well but I didn’t examine it carefully. I’m not sure if it was a production model or a prototype. It was very small, much smaller than a Burn.

The XPac pack is similar to my GG Kumo in size. Have you tried a Kumo? It’s still my favorite pack that I’ve owned.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

I don’t use the hip belt on the Burn and might even cut it as I hate clutter. The construction on the Burn is bulletproof. However I think i would like to have a sub 10 oz pack. I’m a section hiker and like to knock off 3 big mul mileage weekend days on the PCT. I haven’t tried a Kumo. How does it compare in size to the Burn? The Burn is kinda big for my 3-4 day usage.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

I just saw that the Kumo is nearly 20 oz. Too heavy for me. I think the cuben simple would be perfect but it’s always out of stock.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If you’re looking for a sub 10 oz pack that’s well regarded and in stock with side and front pockets, have you considered the GG Murmur? Or if you want really simple and lighter, how about the MLD Core in Cuben (6 – 7 oz)? Both options are also less expensive than the Nero and Burn.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

A must for me is side and a back pocket. That Core would have worked but it lacks that. I think the Murmur looks ugly. Superficially I just can’t get into that design. It looks cheap and frumpy.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

Wonder why the cuben version of the burn is not much lighter.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Another option that might work… fits spec and weighs 9 oz.

I could live with any of these packs, however.

I have a Zero with side pockets and mesh panel and also prefer those features. I would immediately get a Nero if something happened to the Zero!

Jason Feng
    BPL Member

@jason21feng

I’m a huge fan of the massively padded shoudler straps on the PP

Andy H
    Spectator

@drewjamicks

Locale: Southwest

Justin, I checked in with Pa’lante early last week to see if they had any returns on the XPac Simple that I could scoop up. He said they had two cuben Simples, not what I wanted so I left it.. (I picked up an AppUL Balloon last month to fit that SUL role which by the way is 6.2oz and an excellent pack) you might want to shoot Pa’lante an email and see if they’re available still.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

Thanks Andy for the tip. Can you give a quick synopsis of your thoughts on that Balloon pack? I had never heard of that brand before.

Andy H
    Spectator

@drewjamicks

Locale: Southwest

Sure thing. I kept putting off grabbing a 5oz Zero from ZPacks for my quick summer weekend trips and was bummed they stopped selling them so I went looking for alternatives. Its a basic, no frills, functional cuben pack with side pockets and a large back(front?) pocket. It has an optional sternum strap which I don’t use, is hip belt-less and is exactly what I need it to be – a waterproof sack that can hold about 15lbs in gear, food and water comfortably. Only minor issue is there’s no drainage in any of the pockets, this can probably be requested. I use a Z-Seat as the back frame but it looks like it’d be perfect for a rolled thinlite pad for structure/frame.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Another pack i would recommend is the Superior Wilderness Designs “Superior 35” pack.

https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product-page/superior-35-ul-backpack-frameless

I just picked one of these up and have to say it is more comfortable than the Burn I had previously. Wide and comfy shoulder straps, generous side pockets, and the color, fabric, and accessories are customizable. 14 oz on the nose and the construction is top notch.

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

I will second what Aaron said regarding superior wilderness designs. I just had a custom 25 liter pack made, and it is the nicest and most comfortable frameless pack ive owned, mine is heavier than most would choose due to heavier fabric choices i chose to make it from, but build quality, attention to detail, willingness to fully customize, exellect customer service,  all make this company a winner in my book. This is Americas next great UL pack maker imho.

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

For what its worth i like the xpac better than robic, dyneema x, or cuben, for packs. I like it so much, i would even consider having a flat tarp made from some thinner xpac say vx3, or vx7

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

I will second what Aaron said regarding superior wilderness designs. I just had a custom 25 liter pack made, and it is the nicest and most comfortable frameless pack ive owned, mine is heavier than most would choose due to heavier fabric choices i chose to make it from, but build quality, attention to detail, willingness to fully customize, exellect customer service,  all make this company a winner in my book. This is Americas next great UL pack maker imho.

Nice to hear, I ordered a custom Long Haul 50 yesterday.

Their customer service is indeed very good. I got a clear answer to all my questions pretty fast and everything I proposed was no problem.

XPac is great stuff IMO.

Justin Flynn
    BPL Member

@nomadic

Thanks guys! I just sent these guys an email requesting the lightweight fabric on a    25L pack. They look awesome.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools