Topic

NeoAir XLite no longer Made in USA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir XLite no longer Made in USA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Noticed this on a new purchase today … Ireland of all places.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thermarest have had a distribution centre/factory in Midleton Ireland for over 30 years .
    It employs about 120 people there.

BTW, why Ireland ?

My guess is because :

A major draw for US firms is Ireland’s low 12.5% corporation tax rate and numerous controversial tax breaks. The government has promised to phase out the latter.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Interesting …. if I recall the XLites distributed in the U.S. formerly said something along the lines of  “Assembled in the USA of internationally sourced components”

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I used to live not far from the Irish factory, I dropped in a few tines to replace faulty pads and bladders.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Hey at least it isn’t China.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Hey at least it isn’t China.

Agreed!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The AVERAGE corporate tax rate paid in the USA (after all loopholes and deductions) is only 12.6% as of CNN’s report today.

If The Donald still wants to lower our stated corporate tax rate from 36% he ALSO need to close all the loopholes.

Good for theIrish.They need the jobs as badly as we do. Just as long as it ain’t China!

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

I’ve seen Irish-produced Therm-A-Rest pads on and off for a while.

Jon Almquist
    BPL Member

@jalmquist

Did you confirm this with Therm-a-Rest, or just make the deduction based on the COO of your pad?  Seems like an odd statement to make without verifying from the company, especially considering Neo pads have been produced in both the U.S. (Seattle) and Midleton (Ireland) factory for years.  You may be right, but my bet is that they are using excess production capacity in their Midleton factory to help service the U.S. market demand.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

What retailer did you buy from? I recently bought one from REI and it was “Made in USA.” I bought another a week later from Amazon ($20 cheaper) and guess what, “Made in Ireland.”

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

What retailer did you buy from? I recently bought one from REI and it was “Made in USA.” I bought another a week later from Amazon ($20 cheaper) and guess what, “Made in Ireland.”

Bought it at an REI in NC

Max Neale
    BPL Member

@maximumdragonfly

Locale: Anchorage, AK

I toured the Seatle factory a few years ago and asked the same question. Their US demand exceeds supply so they ship some pads over from the other factory. Then (2013), they only had perhaps three NeoAir machines and they were running 24 hours a day. I assume they have more now, but each machine was built by CD from the ground up, which is neither easy nor cheap.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ireland, China, Mexico, whatever — they are all people.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

What do you  mean by “they”, Ben??

lol  what’s up man??

Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

Locale: Cardiff

I live in the UK, almost all of the pads and other gear I’ve bought from thermarest were made in Ireland, until a pad I bought last year said made in the USA. I was very taken aback. Ooh not from the EU, weird.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX
    Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Good for theIrish.They need the jobs as badly as we do. Just as long as it ain’t China!

Because the Chinese can’t use the jobs. You could argue they need them more.
    I know, I know, horrible quality, global ruthless capitalism, even more horrible labour conditions and wages.
    Still, like the Irish and the Americans and all the other people on earth, they are humans too – and we all need jobs.

Made in Japan used to be what people now see as Made in China. Give it, or rather, give them a chance.

edit:

I’m not talking about big corporation vs cottage industry by the way. I like that with going cottage industry a lot of your money goes to the actual workers and there is often less outrageous discrepancies between the people higher and lower on the scale.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools