Topic

Nemo Siren Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Nemo Siren Review (First Looks)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Companion forum thread to: Nemo Siren Review (First Looks)

This Nemo Equipment Siren Quilt review covers a warm-weather backpacking quilt that packs a feature rich, ultralight punch.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

It’s nice to see Nemo make a quilt that is the quality of their sleeping bags. As for the straps, I would replace with individual straps for each pair of loops for more adjustability. Weird they did it that way considering that there are quilts with really good pad strap systems (a bit of personal choice applies here).

I do wonder why you’re using a summer quilt for a north Canadian trip? They did name it “Springer” for a reason (southern starting point/terminus of the AT)! Look forward to your field use report!

Cheers,
    Bill in Roswell, GA

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Hi Bill,

I have thought about switching out the cord system but I usually at least give the idea a test run before modifying, I may end up liking it, though I’m not convinced.

By Northern Canada, I mean closer to Alaska. The trip will be in August. My theory is two lighter quilts would pack better and be more adaptable and adjustable to a two week gauntlet of weather situations. I’ll put a tiny synthetic ‘Emy’ sized (read the kid version) quilt inside the larger, down Nemo quilt with its massive foot box. I can strip and add layers as necessary. It could get very hot or it could snow…. I’ll also be paddling a fair bit so it could get interesting if(when) I get dumped in the river. So long as a grizz or a coug doesn’t decide to make me a human taco, my sleep layers should be solid. Though I’m open to suggestions on the whole plan.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I think quilts are a great idea – when temps are above 60 F. all night.

Otherwise I want a mummy bag, thank you veddy nice.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

quilts are a great idea – when temps are above 60 F. all night.
    Far too harsh.
    I use a quilt in the snow with no problems. Sometimes it is a Katabatic I reviewed, and other times it is my MYOG summer quilt.

Mind you, with our MYOG summer quilts I usually layer Sue’s quilt and my quilt both over the two of us, with some close snuggling, and that has worked down to -7 C.

Other times I have had an MYOG down overquilt over the two of us in our summer quilts, and that too has worked fine.

All MYOG quilts reviewed at https://backpackinglight.com/MYOG_down_quilt_bag/
    Katabatic Sawatch reviewed at https://backpackinglight.com/katabatic_sawatch_quilt_crestone_hood_review/

Cheers

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

After six months of hard use, in high humidity and temps well below recommended. I’m happy to say, the Nemo Equipment Siren continues to perform well.  I took it into Canada’s deep north and with a liner and sometimes a layer the quilt performed right up to freezing. A couple more layers and it would have performed below freezing. I’m happy with the product and as point of reference it’s been slept in well over 30 nights now and still looks like new. Great product from Nemo.

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

I’ll add here, I never did end up layering quilts, I added the liner some nights or put on a layer if it got beastly cold. I will likely take it winter camping and see how layering quilts goes.

I also still am not a fan of the cord system. It’s light but finicky.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools